Press Set Up

highcotton

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
I am planning to put my new Co-Ax to work. I’ve been loading on a Rock Chucker since I started rolling my own. I have switched to Forster dies and have been very pleased with the results. I plan to see only bumping shoulders. Is there a rule of thumb as to how far off the shell holder jaws to back off the dies as a starting point? I’d rather move down than over size from the start. I have a set of Hornady headspace bushings so I can measure hw much bump I have- just looking for a good set up point. Any suggestions appreciated.

I bought the Hornady case comparator set, and I can't say enough good things about it. It allows you to measure exactly how much you are sizing each case, and takes a lot of the guess work out of it. I set my dies up to push the shoulder back 0.001" over a fired case. The bolt closes with ease, and I know I'm not overworking the brass.

I just measure using the headspace gauges. Usually end up around a dime thickness away from the jaw but it’s very die dependent.

Scotty- I ended up backing off 1/4 turn and kept easing the die down slightly until I had a .001 bump by the headspace gauge. Everything chambered well so I assume I’ve got it handled. I still have my son’s 260 REM to get set, but I think I’ve got one more round of tedious die work in me. I’m yet to actually seat bullets with it but I really like the Co-Ax so far.

Back