Load development after changing muzzle devices

fightthenoise

Beginner
Jan 14, 2017
Would one expect to see a gun prefer different loads based on muzzle devices? For example, if I worked up a load with a bare muzzle, then had the muzzle threaded and screwed on a suppressor, would I need to work up a new load? I know some folks attribute an accurate load to timing barrel whip so I was just curious if you guys have seen anything interesting in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, I think it’s going to depend on the device and rifle.
I’ve recently added some cans. On one rifle, using the “brake” the can threads over its been atrocious. Direct thread the can and it shoots again. Maybe it’s just me?

In my experience changing anything that has to do with the barrel on a rifle CAN change the load it prefers and most often changes point if impact. Case in point, the adjustable "tuning" muzzle devices like Browning uses. Just screwing that thing a 1/4 turn can make a shotgun pattern turn into a bug hole shooter. Bottom line, you will never know until you actually give it a try.

I'm going to say it will change POI for sure . not so much at 100 yards , but at 200 and longer . group size will stay the same . this is going by me shooting the exact same everything with , and without a brake .

I definitely know POI will change. On my Tikka SL the barrel is so thin that removing the suppressor moves POI off the paper entirely at 100. I just don’t have any empirical evidence on group size changes and I’m wondering if I can do load work up on a new rifle before I send it off to get threaded for a suppressor or if I’ll have to redo development. Sounds like I should just develop a load and hope for the best after the threading. If I had to lean one way or another I’d say it’ll probably still shoot the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot the same Silencerco on several rifles. On some the shift is 1 MOA or less, on others it will shift both windage and elevation 2-4MOA. The good news is that I’ve found the shift to be very repeatable. All I have to do is note it and dial the right correction in the scopes, at least those I own that will repeat adjustments. Those that won’t like the old Leupolds are a different matter and I tend to leave the can off of those.

Edited to say that the suppressor is a direct thread on. If it shoots loose, I do see inconsistencies.

Back