6mm Creedmoor ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
32k4cfgl.jpg

Just picked up a 6mm Creedmoor rifle, 24" barrel, and ONE box of Hornady 108 gr match ammo. I see this mostly as a range rifle, looking for precision out of the heavy beast. At this point I don't have dies, brass, or bullets for it. I do have 16+ pounds of the often-recommended H4350, but am wondering about other powders, including spherical powders like Hunter.

JMad told me in the rifle thread that he'd been loading and shooting a lot of 6mm Creedmoor ammo. Anyone else? Input please. This cartridge is completely new to me!

My rifle has a 1:7.7 twist, and I want to concentrate on the heavier 103 - 115 gr bullets. Mostly for match shooting/range shooting, but not averse to popping some rockchucks, a coyote, or even a deer with it.

Thanks, Guy

Guy,

I would look at load data for the .243 Winchester. I'm thinking case volume is similar, but the max loads for the .243 will probably be over max for the 6mm Creed.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

DO NOT use load data for a .243! It uses substantially less powder! The velocities will be similar though. Hodgdon has load data, just Google it.

Oh ya, I've already been perusing the Hodgon & Sierra data.

And Layne Simpson had a pretty good article on loading the 6mm Creedmoor.

Hoping someone here might already be using it.

I'm likely to start loading for it next month. Kinda out of gun/fun money now...

Guy

I think you’ll have those shooting gang busters in no time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've considered rebarreling my .243 to 6mm Creedmoor. I still might even though I don't really have any complaints about the .243. Slightly less powder used and longer barrel life are the only real advantage I can see. In my rifle, I have no problems reaching the lands with 105gr bullets and they fit with room to spare in a Savage short action. 6mm Creedmoor is an impressive round none the less and I'm thinking hard about a 22 Creedmoor.

I just bough a 6.5 Creedmoor and apparently the powder to have is H4350. I assume 6mm Creedmoor would be similar. Someone was posting amazing velocities and groups with a 6.5 and RL26 but everywhere around me is sold out. Would RL26 work in 6mm Creedmoor as well? Sounds like an awesome cartridge. Good luck!

Yes to H4350. H4831, H1000 and RL26 as well. Most any powder that works in a .243 will be good in the 6mm Creedmoor.

Just bought one today. Bought brass and dies at the same time. Loaded up some 105 AMAXs and H4350 this afternoon. I will try them tomorrow if the wind goes down.

Palouser":1zw1xj19 said:
I just bough a 6.5 Creedmoor and apparently the powder to have is H4350. I assume 6mm Creedmoor would be similar. Someone was posting amazing velocities and groups with a 6.5 and RL26 but everywhere around me is sold out. Would RL26 work in 6mm Creedmoor as well? Sounds like an awesome cartridge. Good luck!

Now to FIND H4350...... IMR yes but "H" not so easy. Best of luck and enjoy the new rifle! CL

I tried out my new 6mm CM today. The same rifle you bought Guy, I couldn't pass up the sale at Sportsman's either. I used Hodgon data from their web site for H4350 and a 105 gr bullet. Started at min and worked up by the half gr to max. Most 5 shot groups could be covered by a dime.

Hornaday brass
Fed LG R primer
Hornaday 105 AMAX I have over a 1000 on the self so I'll be shooting them for awhile.

Cool! That's a good bullet. I remember some years ago the 6mm A-Max was used to set a 1,000 yard record at the range near Missoula Montana. 6BR or one of the variants of that little cartridge as I recall.

Ya, that was just an incredible sale... $749 for a rifle that usually retails for around $1200.

I feel like I just leapt forward 25 years in rifle tech.

Guy

cloverleaf":25yi93le said:
Palouser":25yi93le said:

Now to FIND H4350...... IMR yes but "H" not so easy. Best of luck and enjoy the new rifle! CL

Well... There just might be 16 pounds of it in my loading room. (y)

Feeling pretty doggone good about that!

Guy

I stand "enlightened", it can be found :) . And 16 pounds should be a lot of shooting fun! CL

Yup. Need to latch onto some dies. I shot 12 rounds of factory ammo the other day, all the 108 gr Hornady ELD-M match stuff. My goodness - it shoots nicely.

Am debating between a set of Wilson dies and using my arbor press, or getting some Redding match dies threaded for a conventional press. One way or the other. I'll get some dies soon and start handloading for this thing.

I think someone mentioned the recent article by Barsness in Handloader magazine. Yes, I've read that, and was impressed with John's work. Shouldn't have surprised me, but the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, long my favorite hunting bullet for the 6mm Remington, shot very well from Barsness' 6mm Creedmoor rifle, .55" group.

I don't see myself doing much hunting with this rifle. It's too heavy and bulky. Might do some with it, but mostly I see it as a range rifle. Will likely concentrate on match bullets.

Regards, Guy

Back