Sierra Gamechanger

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
For Christmas I received a box on 130 gr 6.5 mm to try in my 260 Rem and some 140's for the 270 Win. Anyone shoot either of those bullets yet and any game down with either of them? I hope to get some deer this year with both and am really looking forward to trying them. Both are slick looking bullets.

I have not tried any of these but the word on a number of forums is that they are a heaver constructed bullet made for higher velocities and shoot accurate. One fellow over on the Specialty Pistol forum WV Hitman who has killed more game world wide with various types of handguns than the plague gave a pictured description of the effects of the 140 GC out of his 6.5-284 Specialty Pistol on a deer. Was not near as much damage done as the 140 Nosler AccuBond and deer ran 70 yards after taking a broadside through the lungs shot. He was not impressed with it's performance. I guess time will tell with more people using them. They may have to tweak their construction a little like Nosler did with the Ballistic Tip when it came out to get it right.

Joel took a cow elk with the 165 from his Mashburn. Through and through for him. Sierra might’ve gotten them right.

I used the 130 grain in my 6.5 Creedmoor this year for Antelope.
316 yards range finder distance
double lung and heart through and through DRT
Nickle to Quarter size exit hole

Thanks for the info so far, I'm looking forward to loading some up. From what you guys have said and some other research I have done it looks like they may be a bit tougher that the typical high b.c. bullet made these days.

Bet that 140 in the 270 is a total winner! Not sure how the Sierra compares to a Hornady SST in construction, but have found the SST bullets to work
absolutely perfect for Big Maine Whitetails! Have used the 140's last 3 seasons from their Superformance line and the report off the side
Of a deer at 150yds reminds me of a .264WM!
Neadless to say one shot "instantaneous" kills are
normal outcome.

This month's Rifle Shooter magazine has a short article on the GameChanger, including a cross section picture. They are definitely constructed with a much thicker jacket than a Game King, which they show cross sectioned too for comparison. I have some loaded up for testing in my 270, but have not gotten to try them yet.

BretN":16bfxt7e said:
This month's Rifle Shooter magazine has a short article on the GameChanger, including a cross section picture. They are definitely constructed with a much thicker jacket than a Game King, which they show cross sectioned too for comparison. I have some loaded up for testing in my 270, but have not gotten to try them yet.

If you could report back when you do it would be most appreciated. It will likely be a while until I get out and do some shooting but I'll check in when I do.

SJB358":k5ohouiq said:
Joel took a cow elk with the 165 from his Mashburn. Through and through for him. Sierra might’ve gotten them right.

Yay! No more Sierra stalk needed? :mrgreen:

My cousin just returned from his annual Alabama/ Georgia "Deer an Hog" hunt were he grabed a couple
boxes of Hornady ammo he thought were SSTs, he has had steller sucess with. It turns out they were GMX bullets............... The results on deer were not so good. He wounded a few they tracked down but the big 12 Pointer he was after was never seen again. Some blood at first tapering off to almost nill
in a half mile.
Getting compleate pass thrus every shot, deer running off. The GMX worked nicely on the biggest
Hog they ever shot down there.
These bullets with super heavy jackets, bonded cores; are great on a 1200lb Brown Bear. But just
dont cut it on 150lb deer.

The Game Changer interests me.

As for the GMX it's a solid copper bullet like a Barnes. I've killed several deer with them, all pass throughs and all were short heavy blood trails.

I tried the 90 grain .243" in my .240 Wby and they would not shoot well in that rifle. I would like to see a 130 grain version for the .277".

90 grainer shot great in a 1-9” .243.... they wouldn’t shoot in a 1-10” Tikka.

I shot an antelope buck with one at 400 yards out of that .243. Damage to lungs/heart was massive, and the bullet exited. They seem about like an AccuBond.... only more accurate and with a way better BC.

I’ll use them again for sure.

Here’s the goat....

61A1A5C7-3E71-4E84-9579-0AE6F4A5B538_zpsluwqmniw.jpg

1Shot":v4brjh01 said:
I have not tried any of these but the word on a number of forums is that they are a heaver constructed bullet made for higher velocities and shoot accurate. One fellow over on the Specialty Pistol forum WV Hitman who has killed more game world wide with various types of handguns than the plague gave a pictured description of the effects of the 140 GC out of his 6.5-284 Specialty Pistol on a deer. Was not near as much damage done as the 140 Nosler AccuBond and deer ran 70 yards after taking a broadside through the lungs shot. He was not impressed with it's performance. I guess time will tell with more people using them. They may have to tweak their construction a little like Nosler did with the Ballistic Tip when it came out to get it right.
>>> the key to this is what was the impact velocity from this pistol.....

gerry":12sayf9o said:
BretN":12sayf9o said:

If you could report back when you do it would be most appreciated. It will likely be a while until I get out and do some shooting but I'll check in when I do.
>>>> being that it's not a bonded design, I wonder how it will preform on the tough shots thru heavy bone? will the core slip the jacket....

Back