Brace Yourself... New Powder!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Headline worthy material as ol' Guy decides to poke his head out of the sand and actually use powder that was developed in recent years... :wink:

You guys may know that I usually use H4350, and if not that, then H4350, for much of my rifle loading. Quite possibly straying to H4350... :mrgreen:

(Okay, not entirely true, but not far from the truth either)

As of yesterday, I've got two oddballs on hand:

CFE223

Superformance

Just a pound of each. I almost never buy new powders! I almost never buy just a pound of powder! Usually just another 8# jug of H4350 or Varget. And keep loading the same stuff I have for 10+ years. I think it's been five years since I tried something new, which was Ramshot Hunter.

The CFE223 is going to get a try in the 204 Ruger cartridge.

The Superformance is already on the bench and various quantities are sitting in freshly loaded 6 Creedmoor cases.

I'd read too many interesting reports in Handloader, and articles in the Hodgdon manual... got me curious. We will see what we will see... So far I love the way that spherical powder flows through my little Lyman powder measure! Woo Hoo! So slick. :grin: Stay tuned for further developments!

Guy

Guy,

You will have fun tinkering with the new powders.
I use CFE223 in my 22 Nosler, it delivers good speed and accuracy!

JD338

I've used both. Can't say that I found a magical use for either, but they do have a place in the handloaders pantheon. When either works, they work very well. You'll enjoy tinkering, I should imagine.

Guy, you ought to give Re-16 a try in the 6 Credmoor. Its a screamer in .243 Win.

I’ve got some experience with the Superformance. To say that it woke up my 30-06 with 210gr bullets would be an understatement. No real gains in 6.5CM other than wild standard deviations. Of course individual results vary, as with all things reloading.

Superformance gave me great velocity in a 20" .243. Accuracy was as good or better than anything else I tried.

I've got great results from SuperP in my 6.5CM... very accurate and about 75 fps faster than H4350 at under book max in an 18" barrel.

I tried it in my .300WSM with 165s... incredibly velocity but the accuracy fell apart in my rifle. It's not nearly as universal or consistent as H4350 or H4831 but when it works, it's wonderful.

SJB358":10mcs3pi said:
I can’t hardly stand to not try new powders...

I can hardly stand to deviate from what worked the last ten years! :grin:

Funny stuff.

Guy

Too Tall":k07cqhop said:
Where did the Ramshot Hunter go? In the WSM?

Too Tall

Sadly, it became an abandoned experiment. I loaded 30-06 rounds with it and set them in a loading block batch by batch, to try at the range.

Except for a few shots... I barely even tried them. Most are still sitting there in the same loading block, 5 years later, waiting to be shot!

I thought I was going to really wring 'em out. I only shot enough to get a generally favorable impression, then moved back to loading and shooting more of my old favorite H4350 loads. But... The Ramshot Hunter ammo is still there... Waiting.

I believe I did try some in the 300 WSM, but... it was a while back, and apparently I didn't come up with anything noteworthy.

Guy

Bruce Mc":1kulqwn9 said:
Guy, you ought to give Re-16 a try in the 6 Credmoor. Its a screamer in .243 Win.

You want me to try ANOTHER "new" powder? :mrgreen: My heart can only take so much at a time... :wink:

Sigh... Okay. I'll try this Super-Duper Superformance stuff, see how it goes and MAYBE I'll give that Re-16 a try.

I did have to admit some years ago that Re-15 works great. And a zillion years ago I concurred that Re-22 can be awesome in the 7mm Rem mag & 300 Win mag... So, I suppose Re-16 has potential. :wink: I know a lot of guys here have posted terrific success stories with it.

Ya, I'm a fuddy-duddy about powders. I find something I like and stick with it. Sigh...

Guy

Guy, I don't know if you load for handgun cartridges but I've used 231, Universal clays, titegroup, Unique and a few other powders over the years for my 9MM, .38, .357 and .45. I started using the new Winchester powder 244 over the last month and found it so good I'm using it exclusively. It burns extremely clean, you use less of it and smoke is almost non existent. It actually took me about 15 minutes to clean my semi-auto after a range session. Worth a try!

Ya, actually I load a fair bit of 38 and 45 ammo, now and again some other cartridges. I have enough Unique on hand (sooty old stuff!) to keep me loading handgun ammo for a long time. Several years I'd think.

Guy

I used Superformance in the 30-06 with 165gr ballistic tips in a Mossberg ATR100, proved to be extremely accurate every time I've tested the ammo. Just never went out in the field with it. I have other rifles to hunt with that haven't taken game yet, but I always keep a pound on hand for the first centerfire my father bought me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CFE223 does real well in my .223REM and so far first trials in my .308WIN are grouping as well as RL15 and Varget. Need to shoot some more in the .308 but yeah I like it. Dan.

Guy Miner":1v8kwr85 said:
Bruce Mc":1v8kwr85 said:

You want me to try ANOTHER "new" powder? :mrgreen: My heart can only take so much at a time... :wink:

Sigh... Okay. I'll try this Super-Duper Superformance stuff, see how it goes and MAYBE I'll give that Re-16 a try.

I did have to admit some years ago that Re-15 works great. And a zillion years ago I concurred that Re-22 can be awesome in the 7mm Rem mag & 300 Win mag... So, I suppose Re-16 has potential. :wink: I know a lot of guys here have posted terrific success stories with it.

Ya, I'm a fuddy-duddy about powders. I find something I like and stick with it. Sigh...

Guy
>> RL22 has been my only .270 win. load with the 130 since the 80's ! yields 3,180 and sub inch. why change perfection brother!

Back