300 RUM Brass

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
When you have to make a switch from using Remington brass what have some of you done? Considering the choices of other brass manufacturers which one did you go with and what are some of your opinions and experiences?

I've always used Remington brass but see the pricing is up and availability is questionable.

Thanks,
Don

Went straight from Remington to Norma. In my experience, its hard to find any thing much better than Norma when Lapua isn’t an option. In full disclosure, haven’t tried Nosler or Hornady.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... ooter-pack

One more thing. I’ve never seen deer go down as fast as they do with a 200gr Nosler Partition out of a 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby, or 30-378 Weatherby. Sure its overkill but DRT is my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using Nosler in mine Don. I’m not sure it’s worth the money. It’s what they had when I wanted to start so that’s what I got.

ADG makes 300 RUM brass as well as Bertram. Bertram is suppose to have quite a bit of weight variance to it though.

ADG is where I’m looking next when I wear this Nosler stuff out.

So far it’s holding up well to load work but I anneal every firing so far. It seems pretty soft in the case head but it’s still new to me so I’m still learning it a bit.

I tried the Nosler Brass a few years back when testing some loads. I learned it is soft. Went back to Remington Brass.

So what's the verdict on the Hornady brass, anyone try it in the 300 RUM?

My other concern with changing brass is case volume. I would imagine I'd have to start and work up the load again.

Thanks for the replies,

Don

Don for safety reasons I would most certainly drop down and working back up. Ive never ran anything but remington brass so im of no help in regards to the other brands.

I agree. There's no getting around that. Better safe than sorry.

If you know your velocity, which im sure you do you could load 1 round each in .5 increments going up till you hit your known velocity. Once you hit your velocity load 3 and see if it still shoots accuratly. This is what i do when changing lot# of brass, powder or primers. Has always worked for me to get back to my accuracy load with little fuss.

OU812":18lnk82o said:
If you know your velocity, which im sure you do you could load 1 round each in .5 increments going up till you hit your known velocity. Once you hit your velocity load 3 and see if it still shoots accuratly. This is what i do when changing lot# of brass, powder or primers. Has always worked for me to get back to my accuracy load with little fuss.

Same here. Magnetospeed makes it easy!

That's great info!! Thanks for sharing it. I kept thinking I'd have to go through the long process all over again.

Back