New .224 ideas!

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
After buying a new Tikka T3x with an 8 twist to shoot
70/80 gr bullets with unheard of high BC to the normal 14 twist crowd shooting the 22/250 Rem.
So all this seams to be a NEW idea and opens up lots of NEW potential use for a 22/250 right .......
Ever heard of a .224 Clark from the 1950s......???
This was a wake up call for me. Check this out!Screenshot_2019-02-03-06-12-33.png
Talk about OLD news........... Mr Clark was doing exactly all this stuff 60 years ago. :roll:

My Grandpa used to say that if you could think of something, chances are someone else has already thought of it.

There may be a grain of truth in it, but I do see that people are coming up with new ideas all the time.
So it would beg the question, if someone else did think of it, did they just not publicize it or follow through on it?

I’m toying with the idea of a 22Dasher with a 1-6.5” twist. Or maybe go a bit simpler with a 22-250 with the same twist rate.

It a concept with a bit going for it with the newer very low drag .224 bullets!

bobnob":1j35nqeo said:
I’m toying with the idea of a 22Dasher with a 1-6.5” twist. Or maybe go a bit simpler with a 22-250 with the same twist rate.

Look to a 7 twist 22 Creedmoor. It has a little more horsepower to run 90-95gr bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started shooting a 22-243AI w/ 8" twist, about 20 years ago and still have a 22-243 (plain) today. The 22 Creed should have slightly less case capacity. My favorite load used a 75gr A-Max (moly) bullet at 3,670 ft/sec and shot a .625" group at 600 yds. While it didn't shoot that tight every day it was a regular quarter minute rifle.

Thebear_78":rsr91nwd said:
bobnob":rsr91nwd said:

Look to a 7 twist 22 Creedmoor. It has a little more horsepower to run 90-95gr bullets

I would but the Creedmoor rage hasn’t quite reached this country yet. There’s plenty of 6.5 Creedmoor stuff but trying to find a 22 Creedmoor reamer or even 6mm Creed and brass is difficult.

A 22-250 or 22-250 AI or even a 22 Dasher or BR are easier to come by at this stage.

Charlie,
You are most certainly an amazing shot! At almost
a half inch group at 600yds is just 20X better than
I can do! 6" groups are more my best......
Wow thats amazing!
E

35 Whelen":1l6ef3j4 said:
Charlie,
You are most certainly an amazing shot! At almost
a half inch group at 600yds is just 20X better than
I can do! 6" groups are more my best......
Wow thats amazing!
E

"Lucky shot" is more like it but thanks for the compliment. :grin:

That particular rifle was built to benchrest standards but was exclusively used to shoot groundhogs at longrange in PA. Unfortunately, I watched the groundhog population steadily decline over 20 years. It wasn't caused by hunting pressure but has, nonetheless, become so sparse that I stopped hunting them.
While I enjoy all types of biggame hunting, shooting groundhogs was my passion for many, many years.
600yd group.jpg

Wondering from those who do this, how is a fast twist overbored .224 on barrel life? Shooting a sedate velocity 5.56 with the same bullets and twist rates, we generally get in the 4-5000 round range before accuracy begins to degrade with service and match rifles.

I could see the usefulness for hunting antelope sized game or coyotes where the round count will be minimal, but my hunch is this factor has kept the concept from becoming common for target or varmint rigs.

From everything I’m hearing barrel life is in the 1500 range as long as loads are kept modest. IE 95s under the 3200 limit foR PRS. Running lighter bullets hard can decrease on that.

I’m at 275 rounds thru my 22 Creedmoor so far so its too early to tell.

I shot over 1,000 rnds through my 22-243AI with moly coated A-Max bullets before there was a noticeable loss in accuracy. I set the barrel back loosing 3" of barrel on the breech end. It's currently chambered in 22-243 (plain) and shoots pretty well with 80gr Berger LR bullets. I don't bother with moly coating any more.

Back