300 WSM revisited

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
It's been a few years since I messed much with the 300 WSM. But.. I have a good rifle, good dies, and plenty of components. Earlier I was looking at it as a long-range proposition and saw some extraordinary accuracy with a 210 gr Berger VLD and H4350.

But... Am looking at this more as a general purpose hunting rifle for the lower 48, and was impressed with what I found in Hodgdon's manual. They're talking nearly 3300 fps with a 165 gr Nosler Partition using Hodgdon Superformance! :grin: That sounds pretty good to me!

8D7eJMVl.jpg

No range testing to date, but am very interested in what may be possible.

Regards, Guy

hMUZlwgl.jpg

Model 70 Coyote, 24" stainless barrel, laminated stock, Jewell trigger, and when this photo was taken a 4.5-14x Leupold. Then I was using 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps via H4350. Believe me, NOTHING was lacking in accuracy.

Three shot group at 100 yards:
UxxlI2Kl.jpg

Guy

I like to learn from my elders. So in keeping with Dr Mike's theory of letting Scotty do water jug testing for him, I'm proposing you develop said load, then sell me the rifle since you don't like change, and will want to go back to the 25 and 30-06.

You can thank me later! :lol:

Seriously though, what a hammer and a cool cartridge to boot. Terrific speed with a reliable bullet.

ShadeTree":14p08rhi said:
I like to learn from my elders. So in keeping with Dr Mike's theory of letting Scotty do water jug testing for him, I'm proposing you develop said load, then sell me the rifle since you don't like change, and will want to go back to the 25 and 30-06.

You can thank me later! :lol:

Seriously though, what a hammer and a cool cartridge to boot. Terrific speed with a reliable bullet.

The selfless generosity of the folks here on the forum is an amazing thing to behold ;)

Guy 3300 fps potentially is really stepping it out there.

While speed is sexy, that group with the Berger is phenomenal!
Nice shooting!

If we are learning from our elders here... I am hearing a loud "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LOL

Seen that rifle before....and that group :shock: . Seriously, what walks away from a 165 PT at 3300 fps!!!! Your problem will be that it renders your other rifles as strictly diversions. How can you justify keeping them? :shock: :grin: Wait a minute... what am I saying!! Have fun! CL

Guy Miner":3vabmnnh said:
hMUZlwgl.jpg

Model 70 Coyote, 24" stainless barrel, laminated stock, Jewell trigger, and when this photo was taken a 4.5-14x Leupold. Then I was using 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps via H4350. Believe me, NOTHING was lacking in accuracy.

Three shot group at 100 yards:
UxxlI2Kl.jpg

Guy

I’d lock that one in the safe!

Slam dunk to hang onto that load and that rifle. Enviable group, Guy.

I've read many, many times on the internet where folks say "It'l put 3 in one hole at 100 yards" But very seldom do they offer a photo...Very fine rifle, load, and shooting there!

Nice rifle, scope, and cartridge! Perfect combination Guy. I sure like the 300 WSM my son has, his is the Extreme Weather SS. I love the wood laminate stock. I took my buddies 300 WSM that has the laminate stock to a lady who used to work for Cooper Arms in Stevensville and she checkered it. It not only looks great but it does give more purchase to hang onto the rifle. Nice shooting also.

Nice rifle and nice shooting. There's something to be said for accuracy of the old push feed M70s.

I like your little yellow mark on your dot.
I presume that’s to help you know you got your hold dead on?

Very fine shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back