243 win.

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
Hey guys looking for some opinions. I am looking at buying a new rem sps 243. It will have a 24 in 1x9x12 twist barrel. Which means 1x9 and a quarter right? My man purpose with this gun will be our south Alabama whitetail deer and a few hogs. Will also be shooting some steel out to 500. The two bullets that I want to shoot for hunting are the 95g bt and the 100 g partion. I might shoot some lighter bullets say 85g or so for steel and paper. Ranges for hunting are 40 to 250. With 75 to100 being the normal. I guess the main question is will this twist rate work with the hunting bullets I am wanting to shoot. I feel like those 2 bullets will be great options for the deer we have. This will be my first 243 that I have and the first one I will be loading for. So any powder recommendation and any advice would be great. All the advice I have gotten from this group has always been right and very helpful!

Thank you Michael

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That rate of twist is fine for the bullets you have in mind.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

with the numbers you posted , I'm going to guess the twist is 1:9.125 this is 1:9 1/8 . this should be good for the bullets you have mentioned . I would give the 100gr partitions a try with IMR7828ssc powder ,this worked well for me on whitetails .

I've tried quite a few bullets and powders in .243. I mostly shoot 105gr Hornady hpbt in mine but have used 95gr Ballistic tips also. I use H1000 but have tried H4831sc which was good and so is H4350. I've also used IMR7828ssc and it was OK too, just not as accurate as H1000 in my rifle. I e also used Superformance. So many options with the .243...

I shoot this load in my Marlin XS7 .243. It has a 1:10 twist. Seems to work well on deer.

20150704_153635.jpg

I shoot a 100 gr Partition in my 243 which has a 1:10" twist. I use imr 4350 and haven't needed to try anything else.
Prior to shooting partitions I shot core-lokts. I found if i hit a deer in bone of the front shoulder there would be a lot of bloodshot and pretty much a loss of the shoulder. I got in the habit of avoiding a shot which would hit bone. When I shot my first two deer with 100 gr. partitions I shot them behind the shoulder. The both ran over 100 yards and took a while to find due to the heavy vegetation . I now shoot deer high in the shoulder if broadside, or midway up if quartering towards. It drops them there and meat loss is minimal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank yall for the advice. I hope to get the rifle in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to get started with some load testing. It just seems there are some many options for good bullets and powder combos out there for the 243 that you can't go wrong with giving it a try!

Have any of yall tried the vit n160 in the 243? I have been doing some reading on accurate shooter seems to be a lot if guys running the n160 in the 243.

My 243 shot both 90 and 95 gr ballistic tips very well. I would think either of those would work well for your purposes too. But you can't go wrong with the partitions either. I thought I saw there was a Federal Trophy bonded tip in 6mm now, but could be wrong. That is another very good tough bullet. I used 130 gr. TBT's in my 270 last season and was very impressed with on game performance.

bdbrown66":3inobkf6 said:
I shoot this load in my Marlin XS7 .243. It has a 1:10 twist. Seems to work well on deer.

>>>> not surprised w/ 4064 ! 70 grain tips shoot about 1 " in my 742/6MM. very accurate powder over a range of cartridges.

Either variety of 4831 will also work well with 95-100 gr bullets. You ll get nice case fill with either H4831 or IMR4831 too.

The 95 gr BT gives groups of 3/8-1/2 in for me with H4350 but I'm not satisfied with the exit hole in case I'd have to track one. Going to try the 95 gr PT this year and later plan on going back to the old stand by 100gr PT. It groups and exits well for me. Dan.

A .243 win 700 Remington ADL I bought at Academy before Christmas shoots sub MOA with 90gr Accubonds and Reloder 22. That load chronographed at 3130 fps in a different 700 with a 2" shorter barrel. It shoots groups a tad over 1/2" with a 70gr BT and Reloder 16 at 3650 fps.

I am getting excited about this 243! Alot of great info coming from you guys. Hope to do the deal this next week on the rifle!

Bruce Mc":r24ad9cy said:
A .243 win 700 Remington ADL I bought at Academy before Christmas shoots sub MOA with 90gr Accubonds and Reloder 22. That load chronographed at 3130 fps in a different 700 with a 2" shorter barrel. It shoots groups a tad over 1/2" with a 70gr BT and Reloder 16 at 3650 fps.
Hey Bruce Mc:
Would you say the quality of the Remington ADL is back up to standards of the earlier Remington 700's?

I am going to need to get some brass for the 243 when I get the rifle what do yall suggest?

Michael C. Smith":3qx2gd25 said:
I am going to need to get some brass for the 243 when I get the rifle what do yall suggest?

Winchester, Hornady, or Star Line

Back