Which 280 rem brass?

JLee

Beginner
Jan 29, 2019
I have a Remington XCR II I bought new in 2010. Had wanted a 280 for a while and when it became available in the XCR II, had to get it. Brought it home, cleaned it, and put it in a silicon sock and put it in the safe where it has been since. Decided a few weeks ago to put some rounds together. Recently bought a Leuopold VX5 3x15x44 which should arrive next week. Got H4831, CCI 200 primers, Redding Dies but only find Norma, Hornady, and Winchester nickle brass available. Guessing Norma is obvious choice but the Hornady and Win are half the price. Reviews are mixed but is the Hornady and Winchester ok or should I just stick with the Norma. Planning on working up load with the 140gr E-Tip.

Welcome aboard. Norma brass is first rate. I use quite a bit of it for both of my 280s. Winchester brass works just fine. It does require a bit more work in the initial prep, but it will give you good service if you're not insistent on pushing the pressure curve. Hornady brass works well. I've certainly used each of these without major complaints. Consequently, I've had exceptional success in my first two 280s with 139/140 grain bullets. The E-Tip is an excellent bullet that performs quite well. Again, welcome aboard. Glad to have you posting. Keep us abreast of your load development.

DrMike":byyssvyi said:
Welcome aboard. Norma brass is first rate. I use quite a bit of it for both of my 280s. Winchester brass works just fine. It does require a bit more work in the initial prep, but it will give you good service if you're not insistent on pushing the pressure curve. Hornady brass works well. I've certainly used each of these without major complaints. Consequently, I've had exceptional success in my first two 280s with 139/140 grain bullets. The E-Tip is an excellent bullet that performs quite well. Again, welcome aboard. Glad to have you posting. Keep us abreast of your load development.

Thank you.

lee---- I just ordered 50 WW (brass) 280 cases from Buds Gun Shop, I believe they were $22.

I've loaded nickle plated pistol brass before but never rifle. Any disadvantage?

This is not the old coated cases that flaked. I've had no problems with flaking of this current build of cases from Winchester. Granted, I've only loaded these cases about three or four times, but I've observed no major problems to date.

DrMike":2tmer3b8 said:
This is not the old coated cases that flaked. I've had no problems with flaking of this current build of cases from Winchester. Granted, I've only loaded these cases about three or four times, but I've observed no major problems to date.

OK, thanks.

I've used Winchester and Remington 280 brass with good results. I always trimmed them to length and deburred the flash holes before I used them the first time but they served me well. I used IMR4350 with 140 gr. bullets and had good success. I think you will be very pleased with the E-tip. They are a very good bullet.

David

Hornady in 280 Rem and Ackley has been just fine for me. I have 4+ uses on the cases in Ackley...
I have not used WIN brass.
Norma brass in 30-06 has been very good other than a few cases that had obvious manufacturing defects. I have about 6 uses on the cases. The Norma brass was relatively cheap at about 80 cents a case and they were re-packaged in a 100 case box.

Nimrod84":2qqj4tou said:
Hornady in 280 Rem and Ackley has been just fine for me. I have 4+ uses on the cases in Ackley...
I have not used WIN brass.
Norma brass in 30-06 has been very good other than a few cases that had obvious manufacturing defects. I have about 6 uses on the cases. The Norma brass was relatively cheap at about 80 cents a case and they were re-packaged in a 100 case box.

If I could find new Norma 280 brass < .90/pc, search over. Good deal on the -06 brass.

I got the Norma brass from MidwayUSA when it was on clearance and they had an offer code for free shipping. Brownells is a place to keep an eye on, as they likewise will offer free S&H with 10% off periodically.

Ammoseek doesn't show any Norma brass at the moment, but they might be worth checking periodically to see if a shipment comes in - https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/280-remington

Nimrod84":22jtzkvt said:
I got the Norma brass from MidwayUSA when it was on clearance and they had an offer code for free shipping. Brownells is a place to keep an eye on, as they likewise will offer free S&H with 10% off periodically.

Ammoseek doesn't show any Norma brass at the moment, but they might be worth checking periodically to see if a shipment comes in - https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/280-remington

Thanks. Graffs also has it at a decent price but shipping extra.

JLee,

Just FYI - the 30-06 Norma bulk packages are at Midway for about 90 cents a case https://www.midwayusa.com/product/68203 ... oters-pack. These bulk packages seem to be seconds as I had a few unusable cases in there. Also, I've never seen Norma 280 Rem brass bulk packaged. So your best bet would probably be getting a normal Norma 25-50 case package down around 95 cents per case shipped when Brownells or somebody offers a good deal.

If I needed brass today, I would probably go with a 50 round package from Hornady or WIN. At a minimum it would let me know what my rifle liked and get it broke in. If their is anything lacking I would keep an eye out for cheap Norma or Nosler brass. I have heard statements that some Nosler brass is made by Norma, but I have not been able to confirm it.

Having some domestic cases and loads for those cases might be handy if we get another ammo / component crunch. I personally try to have two independent loads per rifle using different cases / powder/ bullet just in case I can't get a particular component.

Brownells shows a 100/pack of Norma out of stock. Have a "alert me" if it comes in stock anytime soon. If lucky, maybe I can time it with a 10$ off + free shipping deal like the one they have now. Doubtful though. May just suck it up and order from Graf.

Not in a .280 but do use Win nickel plated brass in my .30-06 having loaded some of it several times with no problems. Dan.

JLee":2ekxijig said:
I have a Remington XCR II I bought new in 2010. Had wanted a 280 for a while and when it became available in the XCR II, had to get it. Brought it home, cleaned it, and put it in a silicon sock and put it in the safe where it has been since. Decided a few weeks ago to put some rounds together. Recently bought a Leuopold VX5 3x15x44 which should arrive next week. Got H4831, CCI 200 primers, Redding Dies but only find Norma, Hornady, and Winchester nickle brass available. Guessing Norma is obvious choice but the Hornady and Win are half the price. Reviews are mixed but is the Hornady and Winchester ok or should I just stick with the Norma. Planning on working up load with the 140gr E-Tip.

I have a bunch of once fired Remington .280 Brass and came on a good deal on the Winchester nickeled brass so snapped that up. Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is all about. The Winchester brass is good stuff. I worker up a load for my .280 Rem. custom with 24" barrel and break 2900 FPS plus with the now long discontinued Winchester WMR powder. What can I say, I got four 8 pound canisters cheap shortly after it was discontinued. It works good in my .270 Win., .280 Rem. and and .300 Win. mag. Not worth a hoot in 30-06.

The nickel Winchester brass has held up just fine with full power loads and and the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam. There's a lot of talk off and on over on Accurate Reloading where nickel plated brass has a bad reputation. You take a close look at the current Winchester brass and the plating (?) has a rather dull finish compared to the usual very bright finish seen on other brass. My thought is that it's more of a nickel wash than an actual plating. I tend to throw brass in the tumbler in the afternoon and let it run all night. A few times doing that and the nice rather dull plating shows wear from tumbling with yellow brass showing through.

Probably the simplest way to describe them is the finish will wear but does not flake off and scratch dies like earlier versions of nickeled cases did.
Paul B.

I put my Rem 700 in 280 Rem together by using a left hand XCR in 30-06 and a CDL SF in 280 Rem, by swapping barrels and bottom metal between the two.
That XCR action with its Nytride coating is the slickest Remington I have ever owned.
I have been shooting the now discontinued Federal Premium 140gr AccuBond ammo in it and it is a 1/2" rifle.
I will be using the once fired Federal brass for load development, and have Nosler brass to fine tune a hunting load once that is done.
In my past 280's I have used once fired Federal brass, and new Winchester brass (not the nickle plated stuff), with good results.
I have used Norma brass in my 6.5x55, and it worked great. Would not hesitate to use it in my 280.
I have not tried the Hornady brass in the 280, but do have some for other cartridges.
Hope you enjoy your 280! It is a great cartridge!

Blkram":11pfjs8o said:
I put my Rem 700 in 280 Rem together by using a left hand XCR in 30-06 and a CDL SF in 280 Rem, by swapping barrels and bottom metal between the two.
That XCR action with its Nytride coating is the slickest Remington I have ever owned.
I have been shooting the now discontinued Federal Premium 140gr AccuBond ammo in it and it is a 1/2" rifle.
I will be using the once fired Federal brass for load development, and have Nosler brass to fine tune a hunting load once that is done.
In my past 280's I have used once fired Federal brass, and new Winchester brass (not the nickle plated stuff), with good results.
I have used Norma brass in my 6.5x55, and it worked great. Would not hesitate to use it in my 280.
I have not tried the Hornady brass in the 280, but do have some for other cartridges.
Hope you enjoy your 280! It is a great cartridge!

Appreciate it.

Back