22 Nosler loading

juliang

Beginner
Feb 7, 2019
I have recently assembled a 22Nosler AR. So far I have only shot factory ammo and while it shoots well, the brass is a mess. Burrs and extractor marks on 50% of the brass. I have read elsewhere that a slower powder eg H380 could be the answer and I see load data for 70gr bullets. Has anyone loaded up 55gr with something like H380?
I have an adjustable gas block on order but from my research it seems like the powder could be the key.

Thanks

I used an adjustable gas block and turned it back a until it didn't feed right, then took it back up half a turn. Has functioned flawlessly every since without eating brass. I'm running 33gr (Nosler listed Max) of CFE223 under a 55gr bt. and I'm getting 3300 out of a 20" tube. I had really good luck with BLC2 and the 70 gr RDF. It would shoot half moa all day right at 3,000 fps. I quit using them as they failed several times to open up on several yotes around the farm.

Another lesson I learned this last month is to make sure you fully size the case after firing them. I thought that my press felt like it was camming over just a bit harder than I liked, and I backed the die out just a touch, maybe an 1/8th of a turn. Apparently that was just enough to cause some shells to not chamber all the way. :oops: Luckily I have 3 firings on this batch of brass so I don't feel to bad, but it still sucks when I rack a round and the gun doesn't go off on the dang coyote. Lesson learned I guess.

Rigord26":1xtfmi0f said:
JD338":1xtfmi0f said:
I had the same problem with my AR-15 build in 22 Nosler.
I replaced the BCG, went with a JP Enterprise FMOS and the problem went away.
https://jprifles.com/1.4.7_FMOS.php

JD338
Looks like they got good stuff.
It's pricey but it's good! A buddy of mine turned me on to JP Enterprise. In fact, he told me to get the BCG and the problem would go away. He was right.

JD338

JD338":1y5erszb said:
Rigord26":1y5erszb said:
JD338":1y5erszb said:
I had the same problem with my AR-15 build in 22 Nosler.
I replaced the BCG, went with a JP Enterprise FMOS and the problem went away.
https://jprifles.com/1.4.7_FMOS.php

JD338
Looks like they got good stuff.
It's pricey but it's good! A buddy of mine turned me on to JP Enterprise. In fact, he told me to get the BCG and the problem would go away. He was right.

JD338
Sounds worth the price anyway.

Back