35 Whelen loads with 200 AB

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
I know there has been some discussions on here with the Whelen and 200 AB in the past. I'm interested in giving this a try for Whitetails here in Tennessee.

My gun is a Rem 700 Classic
22" barrel 1-16 twist
Current reloads are with Rem Brass

Can anyone share their load data and real experience with it, also how it has worked for you on deer and the results you had with it, good or otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Don

I'm sure those who see this will thread won't be surprised to see me posting :lol:

I primarily have used two powders with the 200 gr AB, Varget and IMR 8208. Can't remember the exact charges off hand but with Varget I used enough for a bit over 2800 fps and the IMR 8208 was even better with a bit more speed at 2840 fps. I tried H 4895 but my gun didn't shoot it well, yours might. Others have done well with it. Guys have also used IMR 4064 for great loads. Would love to see what some of the newer Alliant power's Speer uses for some of their loads would do with the 200 gr AB.

I have only shot bears with them so far and have had no complaints at all. I carried them as well for moose, elk and mountain goat but no success so far. maybe this year. I think you will be happy with them for deer and a lot of other stuff, my favourite bullet by far at this time.

I had great results in a 35 WAI with H322/58gr (also a Mod 700 classic but reamed out) but under the Barnes 200...start about 55gr and ease up in a standard Whelen. My SIL uses H322 under the 200gr Hornady to fireform his brass in his 35 WAI. They tell me that Noslers/Hornadys have about the same pressure curves. My SIL uses the Nosler 225 AB on elk. I am sure your 200AB will do extremely well on deer ( really, on elk or bg hogs too, if you ever have an opportunity.) Have a ball Pard!

Thanks for the info and sharing. I also considered the Hornady 200 SP, just not sure which way I'll go at this point.

Don

The 200 gr Hornady is one bullet I have tried to get to shoot well numerous times but for some reason can't get the same level of accuracy as other bullets. It shoots well enough for hunting though. The 200 gr Barnes TTSX is another great shooting bullet and performs well on bears, I haven't used the 180 gr TTSX yet but it is well thought of and I would expect it to shoot well too.

I'm going to try that 180TTSx some day in my WAI, when I get it back up and running. I killed a nice Black wildebeest at 347yds with the 200X. I later used 58.5gr for the 200TTSx to get 2950. It shot as flat as my 30-06/168TTSX going 2800. I tested it out to 300yds. The trajectory will be very close with a standard Whelen and that 200AB, if you get a good load.

I've played with the Ackely Impoved version more than with the standard version but if you want to get the most out of it find yourself a couple pounds of CFE223 and some magnum primers to light it off.
Start out around 65.0grs of CFE223 and work your way up to max and you won't be disappointed.
I have tried 4064, RL15, H322,H335, 8208XBR, 4895, Varget and found that CFE223 gives the highest velocity and best accuracy with out over loading it.
My second pick would be 8208XBR for accuracy.

My Dad always shot the Rem 200 factory ammo in this gun. That bullet did very well for him. Most of his shots were 50-80 yards in the Pennsylvania woods. In speaking with him the other day, he couldn't recall any deer running away, mostly dropped on the spot.

Don

Truck Driver- give us some of those CFE223 loads? Back in '96, when I started out with my 35 Whelen Ackley, I just used Barnes' First Manual, Vol #1 for the standard Whelen. Even though I could 'surpass" their velocities with more powder, of course, I ended up with the best accuracy at "their Max" (or very close to) loads for the Standard. Back then it was 2015br (53.5) and their 250X for 2550 av. and the 58gr H322 with their 200X (2970fps) I had tried every powder they had listed for that 200x, couldn't get it to shoot and out of frustration tried their last one, the H322. I always considered it a benchrest powder for the .222, etc. Well, I was learning a lot back then, and realized the Whelen case ( Improved or Standard), is "almost" a cylinder. Faster powders just work swell.

preacher":27umd239 said:
Truck Driver- give us some of those CFE223 loads? Back in '96, when I started out with my 35 Whelen Ackley, I just used Barnes' First Manual, Vol #1 for the standard Whelen. Even though I could 'surpass" their velocities with more powder, of course, I ended up with the best accuracy at "their Max" (or very close to) loads for the Standard. Back then it was 2015br (53.5) and their 250X for 2550 av. and the 58gr H322 with their 200X (2970fps) I had tried every powder they had listed for that 200x, couldn't get it to shoot and out of frustration tried their last one, the H322. I always considered it a benchrest powder for the .222, etc. Well, I was learning a lot back then, and realized the Whelen case ( Improved or Standard), is "almost" a cylinder. Faster powders just work swell.
CFE223 really isn't a fast burning powder and is slower then RL15 on the burn rate charts I have looked at.
Being a Ball type powder it just fits better into a case.
As stated in a previous post start out with 65.0grs with a magnum primer and work up to max. Your also going to have to find the seating depth your barrel prefers with the 200gr AB which would be different then mine.
I don't load over 62Kpsi in my 35/AI though I could but find it's not necessary. My 200gr AB loads may be over max in your rifle so I won't publish it for safety reasons.

Well I never knew that CFE223 was slower than R15! See, I "assumed" since it had the monicker "223" in it had to be faster, ha. Just goes to show you. I sure got great loads with R15 behind the 250s and the 310 Woodleigh! "Extry-Good Barne", lol. I can see where you liked it. I had big plans for the 358 Norma had built to replace my old WAI. Admittedly, I miss the Whelen AI more! "Almost" the same results with much, much less fuss and muss. Plus, I don't have any big bears or moose to use it on anyhow. Our Shiras moose is still a Once in a Lifetime" draw. Nope, deer/ hogs out of state and the occasional elk are the WAI's forte here, at least for me! Plenty "Big Enough Gun".

Back