E-Tip seating depth

AWS1701

Beginner
Feb 18, 2019
I am trying to switch over to E-Tips in my 6.5 Creedmoor and am having troubles. I worked out the velocity node with 43.75g H4350, Fed 210 primers, and Nosler Brass @ 2980fps with a started seating depth of -.050 off the lands. All shots fired at 100 yards.

-.050 3”+ group
-.060 3”+ group
-.070 1.9” group
-.080 1.7” group
-.090 1.8” group
-.100 2.2” group

I wanted to make sure the gun was still good and ran a known group with my 140g Accubonds and they stayed true at .75” group. So that ruled out the gun and me. I’m not finding much else out there on seating them close to the lands. Any ideas on where to go with this? I’m not ready to give in and say the gun just doesn’t like them.

I have shot them at .005" off the lands before. Accuracy was as good or better than any other seating depth...

It looks like you gave seating depth a fair evaluation. I'd try it again with a different powder. How about some RE16? Or Varget if the bullet weight is below 130gr.

In development with the same bullet right now in two platforms (Bolt rifle and AR-10), don't know if you'll respond since its a little older post but wondering what you found out...?

Questions:

1. What rifle is being used?

2. Did you find a sweet spot?

3. Did you try other powders? IF SO what were the results?

S/F

May I ask a few questions,,,

1.) Have you done a ladder test? 300 yards is a good choice
2.) Did you find any nodes / cluster from the ladder test?
3.) Was a chronograph used to record velocity, extreme spread, and SD?
4.) Pick min / max charges (according to the node you found in the ladder test and chronograph information) and load 3 rounds in .3 increments / shoot 3 round groups, example, 41.4, 41.7, 42.0, 42.3
5.) Check the pattern of those 3 round groups, find the best groups that shoot in a straight line across the paper, pick the middle charge of those few groups and use that charge and work on seating depth from that if needed.
6.) Check your scope rings and base, are they secure?

I would do those first if I were you if you haven't, not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just trying to help if you are new at that. Just asking if you have and I would use the above and work from there. I use H4350 in mine and its my best and only powder I use for the 6.5 Creed.

Reason I asked was you mentioned " velocity node" , what did you mean by that? I assume it may mean you used the fastest velocity and working on seating depth from there?

Please do keep us posted.

I think what he meant Mark is he found what appeared to be an accuracy node at 2,980 fps with 43.7 Gr of H4350 & 215's

Don't wordsmith the guy because he used the term "accuracy node", also he didn't ask if you read Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight load development process THAT WE ALL USE or at one time read an article on the Creighton Audette's Ladder test.

Additionally, not everyone has access to 200 or 300 yard ranges in which to do their load development so 100 is adequate. Any long range shooter worth his salt will know to verify their DOPE by shooting known distance and verifying their bullet drop thereby confirming their BC for the specific load.

Lastly the lighter bullet may benefit from a faster powder than 4350...

Your post was fine AWS1701 lets not let the topic E-TIP SEATING DEPTH get derailed...

S/F

I just finished developing an E-Tip load for my 270 Winchester. The pictures are in my other thread about the 130 grain E-Tip here in Reloading. It gives groups of .383" at 100 yards. The seating depth is .110" off the lands. 58.5 grains of IMR 7828ssc with a OAL of 3.250". I haven't shot it through my chrono yet but I estimate it's a little over 3000 fps. They do seem to like an exorbitant seating depth off the rifling.

Hey Joe, I saw your post previously, thanks for sharing. It sucks that we have to give away gains we pick up (case capacity) by giving back seating depth. It may make me rethink the E-Tip, we have other all copper bullets that shoot ragged holes .050 off

JarHeadTim":2h358i95 said:
I think what he meant Mark is he found what appeared to be an accuracy node at 2,980 fps with 43.7 Gr of H4350 & 215's

Don't wordsmith the guy because he used the term "accuracy node", also he didn't ask if you read Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight load development process THAT WE ALL USE or at one time read an article on the Creighton Audette's Ladder test.

Additionally, not everyone has access to 200 or 300 yard ranges in which to do their load development so 100 is adequate. Any long range shooter worth his salt will know to verify their DOPE by shooting known distance and verifying their bullet drop thereby confirming their BC for the specific load.

Lastly the lighter bullet may benefit from a faster powder than 4350...

Your post was fine AWS1701 lets not let the topic E-TIP SEATING DEPTH get derailed...

S/F

Never meant any harm or insults, just asked if he had done some load development in which an accuracy node will be found and go from there and some advice. He had mentioned velocity node, and I thought otherwise. I had mentioned on my post no sarcasm intended, just a handloader trying to help out. I feel I should not have posted here at all. Sorry and my apologies if my post was out of line.

If anyone finds my post out of line, then I'll request a moderator to delete my post. Thanks

JarHeadTim":1pkptf0j said:
Hey Joe, I saw your post previously, thanks for sharing. It sucks that we have to give away gains we pick up (case capacity) by giving back seating depth. It may make me rethink the E-Tip, we have other all copper bullets that shoot ragged holes .050 off

I haven't shot the load through my chronograph yet. However, from what I've heard from others is that velocities are equal to top end loads even though the E-Tip takes a lower powder charge. I'll chrono my loads in the next few days to get exact velocities.

Mark, you should be able to tell from his post he’s a fairly capable hand loader, he took a clinical approach to his process and explanation.

No harm no foul, Let’s stay on point here. This bullet it appears does not max COAL which is unfortunate for many reasons. Since we are doing development on chassis / mag based weapons, we are limited to cartridge over all length (COAL) of 2.800 and a bit. Our chamber measures 2.825 with this bullet, so the normal coal we shoot of 2.800 is by all accounts at a minimum .075 too long for good results, which sucks. This forces us to jam a bullet .075 more into the case than we want to reducing powder capacity and creating worse bullet geometry.

We too have had sub-standard accuracy results through the series of “Ladders” we have shot at 2.800 COAL in comparison to the other all copper bullet load we have developed (one ragged hole at 3,029 FPS). We hit 3,200 FPS at the top end of the pressure curve with the E-Tip and there looks like we might be able to catch an accuracy node north of 3,150 but if we are forced to jam the bullet deeper in the case we will have to reduce the powder charge and give up the gains we have achieved over the 127 grain bullet we have been using...

Back