123 ELDM 6.5 CM in 26" Howa 1500

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I decided to finally try some of the lighter match bullets out yesterday in my longer barreled howa. Have to say I'm more than pleased with this load combo. Included is a photo of my 10 shot velocity ladder. This makes several times I've used this method and it's always worked great for me. Maybe next weekend I'll get to carry it out too 500 yards. The two tightest groups of each load is on cold barrel the other two are same loads but hot barrels after playing at 500 with another load.
bfd948b4d298406cf1d9c5f5b9094636.jpg
99e077ecbba1fe6f65db71cf7d77100d.jpg
e66f641333d15eb880dac9b4fad66f5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wow, fantastic targets. Congratulations on developing a couple of fine loads and then shooting well with them. (y) I think I have "target envy".

Dan

Looks like you've got a winner with 43.0gr of Re16 and that 123gr ELD-M.
Shooting a group that small would surely inspire confidence! Bet you're still grinning! LOL
Would love hear more about its performance at 500 yards.
And I would imagine that it is just a pussycat to shoot.

My old 6.5x55 never shot groups that small, but sure was fun spending days at the range with. Used to put 500 to 700 rounds through it each summer, just practicing at the range. Looking forward to doing the same with my new Swede and Creedmoor.

Thanks guys I've been using the 140 nosler custom competion with great results at 500 yards. They have alot of groups from 1/4" to 1/2" almost every time out when I'm paying attention. I just thought I'd check out the lighter bullets, and I plan on wringing them out at 500 next weekend. The 43.0 grain load is running 2990 fps through the magnetospeed, and the 41.6 grain load is 2900 fps on the nose. My 140 custom competition's run 2780 fps, so it picked up quite a bit of speed.

Blkram":ciftybzi said:
Looks like you've got a winner with 43.0gr of Re16 and that 123gr ELD-M.
Shooting a group that small would surely inspire confidence! Bet you're still grinning! LOL
Would love hear more about its performance at 500 yards.
And I would imagine that it is just a pussycat to shoot.

My old 6.5x55 never shot groups that small, but sure was fun spending days at the range with. Used to put 500 to 700 rounds through it each summer, just practicing at the range. Looking forward to doing the same with my new Swede and Creedmoor.
I used to have a model 70 featherweight in 6.5x55. It's best load averaged between 3/4 and 1 moa on a good day. But it was a dream to carry and shoot. One of my favorite rifles I've ever owned. Still want to punch myself in the face for letting it go. Sometimes lessons are hard learned lol. My mauser 9.3x62 and interarms mark x in 30/06 are quickly gaining on it for favorite rifle to carry in the deer woods though.

Thanks for the report & congrats on the results! I think the 123 is not a bad choice at all in the modest CM case. Because of the added vel. the heavies don't pull away until the distance gets quite long.
There is a very experienced shooter/hunter on another site that uses the 123 on targets & the 127LRX for game, he claims the ele. clicks are the same with his loads out to 600yds. & he doesn't shoot game over 600 yards with a CM anyway, so a great plan!
Thanks

Yeah they really do match out for the distances I'm shooting at. I can only go to 500 and it's just for playing. I still prefer my deer to be at powder burn range though lol.

Yes, looking forward to carrying my matched set of 85 LH Hunters in 6.5 and 9.3!

Blkram":376vpcmz said:
Yes, looking forward to carrying my matched set of 85 LH Hunters in 6.5 and 9.3!
Oh I bet that's a great pair! You tried any big game yet in your 9.3 with the 286 grainers? It's a potent combo. Using John Barnes data I get right at 2500 fps with 286 grain PPU soft point round noses and 22" barrel. And it just flat hammers deer. Mine dont weigh very much so it pretty lively at the bench, about 10 or 12 rounds is really all I want, much more than that and I start getting the flinches lol

For sure, you have some "accuracy potential" with those loads. (y) Fine riflery with a couple of great loads.

Cleveland48":2iuh5dn9 said:
Blkram":2iuh5dn9 said:
Oh I bet that's a great pair! You tried any big game yet in your 9.3 with the 286 grainers? It's a potent combo. Using John Barnes data I get right at 2500 fps with 286 grain PPU soft point round noses and 22" barrel. And it just flat hammers deer. Mine dont weigh very much so it pretty lively at the bench, about 10 or 12 rounds is really all I want, much more than that and I start getting the flinches lol

Still waiting for my 9.3 to arrive. Will be trying the 250gr AB's and 286 Partitions, along with the 285 Lapua Megas.
I'm sure that the recoil will be up there, but won't be any worse than my 416 Taylor, so I should be just fine.

You may want to replace your 9.3's recoil pad out to a LimbSaver, they really do a great job!
My old 338 Win Mag used to leave me badly bruised and sore after 20 rounds off the bench. After replacing that old hard black factory pad with the LimbSaver, I could easily go 60 rounds off the bench and notbe either bruised or sore. It became pleasurable to shoot!

You definitely do not want a flinch! They are like herpes, once you get it, it is yours for life!
I got a flinch from a magnaported 300 Win Mag when I was 21. It takes a couple hundred rounds off the bench every year to overcome the flinch. My flinch is mainly from the noise. And I use plugs and muffs when practicing. But getting to the point where I do not blink when the rifle goes off is a challenge and takes a very concentrated effort to overcome every year. I start with the 22 and work back up through my centerfires to overcome it.

I’m shooting the old 123AMAX with 44gr of Re16 .020 off in Starline LR brass. Gives me 3070 average with 25” barrel. Excellent accuracy.

gbflyer":34l37ycw said:
I’m shooting the old 123AMAX with 44gr of Re16 .020 off in Starline LR brass. Gives me 3070 average with 25” barrel. Excellent accuracy.
I thought about moving up in powder charge. I had no pressure signs at 43 grains. I usually hit pressure quickly with the Peterson brass it just doesnt have the capacity most others do.

Man that's some fine shooting. You gotta feel good about the whole 9 yards with results like that. Congrats.

That's some fine groups. I'll pass this onto my son he might want to try them in his 6.5 Thanks for sharing, Dan.

ShadeTree":3sa8sswp said:
Man that's some fine shooting. You gotta feel good about the whole 9 yards with results like that. Congrats.
Feeling pretty good so far hopefully it wasnt a couple of fluke groups lol

wvbuckbuster":1a75x3o2 said:
That's some fine groups. I'll pass this onto my son he might want to try them in his 6.5 Thanks for sharing, Dan.
Thanks

Back