R26 fouling

frankm

Handloader
May 10, 2009
Been working with R26 in a CM and 6.5x55 and getting nice velocity and good accuracy. When I ve cleaned up rifles after 15-20 rounds at the range I ve noticed black fouling seems to hang on way longer than times I ve shot R22 and Imr4831.

Anyone else noticed this? I can't see that it's hurt accuracy but when the other powders come out do clean after initial carbon and copper removal it s somewhat bothersome that R26 will continue to give me patches with black rifling marks.

Is it just dirtier? Does a different primer help? Possibly magnum?

Interested in others experiences and observations.

I have been doing some load development with Re-16 and Re-26 in the 300 WSM. The Re-26 definitely leaves more carbon around the outside of the case neck than the Re-16.

NYDAN":bfcekl5v said:
I have been doing some load development with Re-16 and Re-26 in the 300 WSM. The Re-26 definitely leaves more carbon around the outside of the case neck than the Re-16.

That sounds almost as if you aren't getting a complete seal against the chamber. That could occur when maximum chamber pressure doesn't occur until well after release of the projectile.

DrMike":92l6f6nt said:
NYDAN":92l6f6nt said:

That sounds almost as if you aren't getting a complete seal against the chamber. That could occur when maximum chamber pressure doesn't occur until well after release of the projectile.

I believe the case is sealing OK. I am talking about the little bit of residue on the front portion of the neck. The back half of the neck is sealed off and clean. I think I always get a little residue on the front half of the neck from all cartridges that occur before the case seals.

It is just that the little residue from the Re-26 is "dirtier" than the little residue from the Re-16.

Dan

No Re26 experience and I loathe those that can find it[emoji1]. Kidding of course.

I’ve gone to the Bore Tech carbon remover and copper remover. I stray just a bit from their directions in that I skip the wet patches. Instead I use a wet bronze brush (they say nylon but they don’t work nearly as well) for several strokes wetting it again a time or two, let it sit for 5 minutes then 3 dry patches. Best results I’ve ever seen and I’ve cleaned A LOT of barrels. Then use the copper remover if necessary, same procedure but maybe a 20 minute soak. Rinse the bronze brush with solvent or mineral spirits and blow dry between uses or it will be toast.

Dan, I too know that in my case ( no pun intended) that I have firm/good load pressure. I m 1 grain below where my bolt was getting stiff.

My case necks are as clean as the other powders so no problems there. Just weird how R26 seems to leave a bit of black/carbon long after the other powders produce 'white patches'.

Maybe a coating issue for de-coppering, temperature in-density, additives. Will be interesting to see others results as this thread expands.
Frank

As stated above , what I believe you are seeing is the anti-copper agent. I bet there is very little copper build up and cleans up easily. At least that is what I see with RL-26.

I can’t say I’ve really noticed it but I haven’t really compared it to others.

If it’s shooting well for you Frank I wouldn’t sweat it. From what you said you have a great load.

Scotty, just shot her again today. Got 2690 ish with R22 and with R26 got 2815 fps. For one and a half grains more powder additional 125 fps. The R22 load nudged out R26 at 1/2" vs 3/4" group but it's hard to pass up that additional velocity in a lightweight hunting rifle.

30 total rounds and it cleaned up really well. Copper all out and just a hint of the black I mentioned in this thread. I don't think I m going to worry about it!!

And I have a nice R22 load in case R26 remains difficult to find!

frankm":1hkos5k0 said:
Scotty, just shot her again today. Got 2690 ish with R22 and with R26 got 2815 fps. For one and a half grains more powder additional 125 fps. The R22 load nudged out R26 at 1/2" vs 3/4" group but it's hard to pass up that additional velocity in a lightweight hunting rifle.

30 total rounds and it cleaned up really well. Copper all out and just a hint of the black I mentioned in this thread. I don't think I m going to worry about it!!

And I have a nice R22 load in case R26 remains difficult to find!

It’s tough to pass up either load and I’d imagine even if the 22 load is a bit tighter shooting it would take shooting a few of them both to really see how they’d average out in the end. 3/4” on that little Swede is pretty danged good in my book and 2800 with that 147 is a darned wicked combo. Plugging in the numbers and comparing it to a 30-06 or even a 300 Win shooting a 180 Partition shows just how well that little bullet holds up at distance.

Great shooting. That’s a great rifle and cartridge. The CM gets a lot of press but that Swede is a sleeper if it’s set up on a rifle like yours. You’re almost making me wanna get my Swede out and do some shooting today!

I have used RL-26 almost exclusively with my 7mm Weatherby. Even with all copper Swift bullets at max loads, there is very little copper build up in the bore. The anti coppering agent is certainly doing its intended job. The barrel cleans up quickly and easily with Hoppes #9. I soak the bore and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then brush it out and leave it dry. Accuracy has been exceptionally good.

Back