Brewed up some bear attitude adjustment pills.

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
I will be bow hunting this year in a new place that has lots of black bear activity. In this area last year a bear took possession of a deer a fellow shot with his bow and the fellow decided to let the bear have it because of it's aggressive behavior. There have been enough people tell me of bears that have harassed them and showed aggression even running them out of the woods and even climbing up trees they were in and some from the way they talked I know have shot them with their bows and have said noting about it even though they were justified in the act not wanting to deal with the red tape. It is legal if you have a handgun carry permit to carry a pistol while bow hunting "for your protection" against anything man or beast. I decided to brew up some new bear attitude adjustment pills to deliver from my attitude adjustment tool which is a Ruger Black Hawk 5 1/2" barrel 45 Colt. Loaded up some 300 gr Speer JSP in new Remington nickel cases with 20.5 grs H110 fired with a CCI 350 primer. Was shooting off hand at 10 yards and could keep them inside 1". They should be doing between 1000 and 1050 fps. I think this may adjust the attitude of most anything with violence against my body on it's mind that walks the woods. :mrgreen:

Nothing better than a grain fed bear!
Seems like you'll be doing it 300 grains at a time ! LOL

Nice, I have been messing around with my 480 Ruger. Carried it quite a lot last year with 420 WFN Bullets over about 10 grains of Unique for 950-1000 FPS from my 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk. Pretty heavy hitting combo. My other is a 44 with 250 WFNs from Montana Bullet Works. Also using 10 grains in that one. Seems like a happy place in both guns getting right around a 1000 FPS and a bullet that won’t likely be stopped easily.

Pretty fun working with the big wheel guns. They do have a bunch of hitting power.

I really like the Winchester 240 gr Platinum Tip ammo in my 41 Rem Mag!
But since I am not allowed to pack it hunting, I will have to transport those loads in my Marlin for launching at bears in need of an attitude adjustment!
(The last bear I had adjust, I did so with my Marlin 375 Win and 200 gr Power Points)

I roll with Ruger Alaskan Toklat in 454 Casull. I run Alaska backpacker ammo 370 grains hard cast. Have had to put down a brown and black before with no issues.

Most of my bear adjustment handguns run to the .44 magnum. However, there was an article by Ross Seyfried using the Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. He stated that if one could not afford guns like the .454 Casull and the like that the Bisley would do quite well. He suggested going to John Linebaugh's site where there are properly pressure tested hot loads for the Colt .45. Now I just have to get a 300 gr. bullet mold and see what's up.

One thing I've noticed is when you go above a 250 gr. bullet for the .44Mag. or .45 Colt the front sight is usually way too short and in most of my .44s print groups 6 to 8" high at 25 yards. Ruger does sell a taller front sight for the Redhawk so I may look into one of those (the sights) and try it out on my Redhawk. Redhawks are big stout handguns and mine (5.5" and 7.5" barrels) have been quite accurate but dammit, those things weigh a ton and need wheels.
Paul B.

Paul, Ruger has sent me the taller front site free of charge every time I have called. They haven’t ever asked me for a card.

I understand about the weight of the Ruger Red Hawk. I had a 7 1/2" 44 mag once upon a time. It shot well but it was very heavy to carry.

My bow hunting buddy successfully used a hard plastic blunt arrow we carry for grouse to dissuade a black bear that wanted his bull. They go thru the grouse, so probably did more than bruise the side of the bruin. He wished for his 357 magnum tho.

I just got my shipment of .452 335gr LWLN from Cast Performance. Look like they will kill on one end and maim on the other. Also Starline brass and dies. Pistola is in transit from TX FFL to my FFL[emoji106]. Looking at chest rigs now, so far Diamond D is in the front of the line. Alaska made and no plastic.

Scotty hooked me on a holster. Ordered but haven’t received it yet.
My 45 Colt bear persuader is 4227 with a 335 WFN hard cast. Haven’t found enough jugs to catch one yet.

Back