Range time with Ballistic Tips

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
This is my 4th range session trying out the 180 Ballistic Tips in the 300 Win Mag and I had some difficulties making them shoot tight. The Ballistic Tips has always been my favorite hunting bullet. The last two sessions hasn't been so good with some grouping together and one big flyer. The first range session was 3 round development from 74 grains to 75.8 grains of RL-22 and 74.4 grains was a decent half inch group at 200 yards and .010" off the lands. The 2nd and 3rd session I had tested a few rounds of the same 74.4 grain load I picked and did not do well with flyers mixed in. So on the way home I thought about it, and remembered that I annealed every other firing on this batch, and assumed maybe I should anneal each firing instead and remove the sizing button and run a mandrel instead. This batch of Norma brass is on its 7th firing. So I deprimed , annealed at 700 degrees, resized with a Redding full sized die with the bushing without the button in it. After sizing, I cleaned up the pockets and inside necks and ran them through a .002" carbide mandrel and loaded them all up with the same load. Yesterday afternoon the crosswind was blowing moderately around 12 mph. Set up the rifle on a bull bag and the first three rounds at 300 yards produced this 3 shot group (3,125 fps and 9 ES) that I could not be happier with. I'll be annealing on each firing instead of every other firing. I assume neck tension may change after one firing since I recently felt some uneven seating pressures ( 2nd firing after annealing ) before annealing. Other cause may be the running the button tightly through the necks causing it to get unaligned, but either way I am happy. Ballistic Tips never failed me. (y)
Wx8UR10l.jpg

You certainly have good reason to be pleased with that group. It would put a grin on the chin of the most jaded gun crank.

That group at 300 yards? Yep there is a lot to be happy about that........

DrMike":285ij91w said:
You certainly have good reason to be pleased with that group. It would put a grin on the chin of the most jaded gun crank.

HaHa Mike, I think I am more pickier with my guns than my wife is with her fine China. :grin:

jimbires":2pjoe1jk said:
nice target .

Thanks, I just use the 1, 2 and 3 inch sticker on butcher paper stapled to cardboard sections cut out of boxes and tie wrapped to For Sale sign stands. I have three of those and put them at different distances. Cheaper than using store bought targets or wasting ink printing targets.

TackDriver284":16by7zdf said:
jimbires":16by7zdf said:
nice target .

Thanks, I just use the 1, 2 and 3 inch sticker on butcher paper stapled to cardboard sections cut out of boxes and tie wrapped to For Sale sign stands. I have three of those and put them at different distances. Cheaper than using store bought targets or wasting ink printing targets.

the white butcher paper helps holes to show up easily at longer distance , than a normal target . good shootin too , Mark .

Excellent shooting Mark. 75.0 grs RL22 shot sub MOA in three different 300 Win Mag rifles for me regardless of what 180 gr bullet I used. Just one of those magic loads I guess.
A couple clicks west and a couple south and you are good to go. Nicely done!

JD338

jimbires":3rlmnxny said:
TackDriver284":3rlmnxny said:
jimbires":3rlmnxny said:
nice target .

the white butcher paper helps holes to show up easily at longer distance , than a normal target . good shootin too , Mark .

I normally set my elevation higher so it wont touch the 3 inch sticker when shooting long distance, so it hits the paper and just patch the the holes later with a glue stick and reuse the 3 " stickers again. As for the one inch or the two inch ones, i won't mind putting holes in them at 200 yards or less for load development, they come plenty in a pack unlike the 3 inch ones. :grin:

Thanks Jim and JD.

TackDriver284":3hciyo2c said:
Thanks fellas. :grin:

I’m not posting pictures anymore Mark.... I feel like I need to scrap my gear and get whatever set up you have..... your guns are shooting brother! :mrgreen:

Only problem with groups like that...

Really cuts down on excuses when there's a miss during hunting season! :grin:

Guy Miner":2x0853v7 said:
Only problem with groups like that...

Really cuts down on excuses when there's a miss during hunting season! :grin:

No kidding Guy.... I’d have to “drop” the rifle just to make the excuse with that set up.

SJB358":2t678i0b said:
TackDriver284":2t678i0b said:
Thanks fellas. :grin:

I’m not posting pictures anymore Mark.... I feel like I need to scrap my gear and get whatever set up you have..... your guns are shooting brother! :mrgreen:

Scotty, I learned a lot from here and I thank you fellas for teaching me a few things I haven't learned the last couple years and this forum is the first forum I log in for the day for this reason. Don't give up buddy because my rifles darn shoot, just because it shoots great one day does not mean it will not shoot great on another day. There are many fellas on here that shoots darn better than me like Guy who shoots prone or offhand at 300 yards. :mrgreen: If any one needs little advice or questions about my setups and how I do things, feel free to ask in PM. (y)

Guy, exactly, I would be so darn embarrassed if I told ya that I missed a deer if these rifles were shooting heads off nails. :mrgreen:

Back