130 Grain E-Tip Loads for 270 Winchester

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and happy to be here. I have been reloading for almost 35 years.

I came into 800 130 grain E-Tips for my 270 Win for $80, so I'm pretty keen on getting them to shoot well from my 24" barreled TC Venture. So far they have proven temperamental. I've started with IMR 4831 with fair results. I start getting pressure signs at 57 grains. I'm at 56.3 grains (which has been most accurate so far) seated .075" off the lands verified with a Hornady OAL Camparator, Federal brass, WLR primers, and no pressure signs. With this load I'm getting 1.28" groups at 100 yards. I haven't put them through my chrono yet.

I'm going to start increasing seating depth in .010" increments to see if I can tighten up the groups. The rifle will consistently put 5 rounds into .42" groups with 57.9 grains of the same IMR 4831 under a 130gr Speer Hot Cor chrono'd at 3137 fps.

I haven't varied the powder yet, but I have IMR 7828ssc, 4831, Alliant RL 22, 23, 25, and 26 on hand that would be suitable for it. My other powders wouldn't work for it so I didn't mention them. I also have a good supply of Win brass on hand for it, just haven't used it for this load. I will add that I've had good luck with my 7mm Rem Mag with the 140 grain .284 E-Tip. I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers or experience with E-Tips from their 270 Winchester. I included a photo of the rifle, I've since dyed the sling black.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 1,891
Welcome to the forum. You are right about trying to seat them deeper, the E Tip often like to be seated pretty deep. You may even find best accuracy .100" off or even deeper. Haven't tried them in my 270 Win yet but in other caliber's that's exactly what happened.

Welcome to the forum, Joec. Gerry has given you pretty good advice. My experience with the E-tip in a variety of cartridges demonstrated consistently that the best accuracy I observed was when I allowed for a sizable jump to the lands. I routinely allow at least 0.100 inches of jump, and it may require more to get the best accuracy. As I read your post, I could help but be envious of anyone able to find 800 E-tips for $80. Consequently, the 130 grain E-tip is my "go to" bullet in my 270 WSM. It has accounted for moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear. In my estimate, it is a proven commodity.

DrMike":3161kz63 said:
Welcome to the forum, Joec. Gerry has given you pretty good advice. My experience with the E-tip in a variety of cartridges demonstrated consistently that the best accuracy I observed was when I allowed for a sizable jump to the lands. I routinely allow at least 0.100 inches of jump, and it may require more to get the best accuracy. As I read your post, I could help but be envious of anyone able to find 800 E-tips for $80. Consequently, the 130 grain E-tip is my "go to" bullet in my 270 WSM. It has accounted for moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear. In my estimate, it is a proven commodity.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I've been increasing the jump gradually. It's slowly closing the group, but I don't think I've found the "spot". I already had a couple hundred E Tips that I had started working with here and there. The 800 I just picked up was at an estate auction. I also got 3 TC muzzle loaders for $260. A .54 cal Hawken, a .36 cal Seneca, and a 12ga New Englander. None look like they've ever been out of the safe. I RARELY run across deals like that. The Seneca was really a steal.

Welcome to the Circus :) !!! You a working with a classic there. I suspect yu will find lots of good advice and willing opinions here. Not sure what that says about us.... :grin: BTW I really like that stock! Is that a Boyds? If so what profile? And I'm not usually fond of the "plywood" ones. I like...CL

cloverleaf":180tg14j said:
Welcome to the Circus :) !!! You a working with a classic there. I suspect yu will find lots of good advice and willing opinions here. Not sure what that says about us.... :grin: BTW I really like that stock! Is that a Boyds? If so what profile? And I'm not usually fond of the "plywood" ones. I like...CL

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah it's a Boyd's Prarie Hunter. I have their Heritage walnut stock on my 7mm magnum and love it. Their engraving and inletting fit has been perfect.

Welcome to the forum, Joe. I agree with DrMike and Gerry, I am .115" of the lands with E-Tips in my 25-06 and just over .100" off with my 270 WSM. In my 25-06 they are very temperamental, .115" off the lands gave me under 1/2" group, .110" was about 1" and .120" was over a 2" group.

If you want more velocity try RL26, it really wakes up the ol 270. I'm using it in my 280 Rem with the 139 gr. GMX and it is amazing. Accurate too.

Nice rifle by the way.

Thanks for all the input so far. It's much appreciated. I'm going to keep increasing seating depth until groups either get better or worse. I don't think I'm going to switch powder yet. I feel like there will be a sweet spot with IMR 4831. I've never had a 270 that didn't shoot well and have top velocities with it. As I said above, this one shoots great with it and 130 grain Speer Hot-Cor's. I haven't reached the end of the road yet. Unfortunately I won't be able to load any more until this weekend. Work is pretty brutal this week. The bad thing is I have all that time to mull it over in my head. Lol

Joec7651":gafkigoz said:
Thanks for all the input so far. It's much appreciated. I'm going to keep increasing seating depth until groups either get better or worse. I don't think I'm going to switch powder yet. I feel like there will be a sweet spot with IMR 4831. I've never had a 270 that didn't shoot well and have top velocities with it. As I said above, this one shoots great with it and 130 grain Speer Hot-Cor's. I haven't reached the end of the road yet. Unfortunately I won't be able to load any more until this weekend. Work is pretty brutal this week. The bad thing is I have all that time to mull it over in my head. Lol

Know what you mean about thinking too much :lol: Hope you keep us up to date, there's a good chance it will tighten up for you.

I have been developing a load for my Savage Model 12 270 wsm it has a custom stock from Pendleton Custom Stocks, a sig saur suppressor, timney trigger.
I loaded h1000 at max loads from the Nosler book and did not like the results.
I went to 4831 and got .750 groups at 100 yards.
grains off lnds coal ogive fps grp size
H4831 60 0.15 2.3150 3090 0.75

The problem is reading about others jumping the bullets .1 or longer and getting good results. I started at .14 and worked my way in to .015 I had flyers until I got to .015.
Anyone else develope a load using AccuBond LR 150 gr and get good results?

Welcome aboard, Steve. I've not used the ABLR in any .270, but I do use the 150 grain ABLR in one of my .280s. I get excellent velocity and good accuracy with the bullet. As per my usual practise, I allow 0.100 inches of jump in this instance. I have, on a few select occasions when working up loads for others, loaded much closer to the lands. However, over the course of my experiences, loading close (say 0.020 inches or less) is the exception and not the rule for both the AB and the ABLR. Again, good to see your post.

I think I've nailed it down. 58.5 grains IMR 7828ssc, Remington brass, WLR primers, 3.250" OAL .110" off the lands. This gave a 5 shot group at 100 yards of .383". I haven't put it over my chrono yet but I'm thinking it's going to be a little over 3000 fps. This T/C Venture is turning out to be a fine rifle!image.jpegimage.jpeg

Well, there's nothing wrong with that! Excellent riflery and a fine load. Congratulations. It should handle about anything you'd care to hunt with a .270.

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with it. Lord knows it took enough trial and error. Lol.

That looks very good, congrats on finding a great load. It's amazing how seating depth can make a big difference with modern bullets like the E Tip.

You got that right, there sure is a lot to learn. I guess that's one of the things that keeps this hobby interesting. I would guess that with the E Tips they have a long bearing surface compared to say a 130 gr AccuBond and that could be part of why they can develop more pressure/speed with less powder. Maybe someone else has a theory.

DrMike":1k39a2el said:
Well, there's nothing wrong with that! Excellent riflery and a fine load. Congratulations. It should handle about anything you'd care to hunt with a .270.

That’s a load that’ll handle anything. Great shooting!

I’m resurrecting this thread. I kept working with the E-Tips for the last year and finally decided on my hunting load. DrMike was kind enough to run the Quickload numbers for me on my final load and I have a load that I think will serve well for whatever comes within range. I’m going with RL26 at 3130 fps from my 24” barreled 270 Win. It doesn’t group the .383” that IMR7828 does but it still holds a consistent half inch at 100 yards. The 7828 load shows higher pressure than the RL26 with 100 fps less velocity so I chose to have less stress on the rifle with more velocity, and go with the RL26 load. I’m giving up less than 1/4” in group size so it’s a fair trade in my book. I’m not sure what others are getting from their E-Tip loads but 3130 fps seems more than adequate in my opinion. I could get more from the RL26 but don’t really see the need. I don’t try to load on the ragged edge anyway. My rifle, my hands, and my face mean more to me than velocity. Not to mention loved ones use my rifles as well. I am excited however, to have a top end, accurate, and consistent load with the E-Tip. I picked up a LOT of them from an estate sale and was determined to find the right combination. It took a little time but I think I have it nailed down now.

Back