Good day at the range.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Always fun to see vast improvements. Even better when it's on 2 different guns.

That 93 Mauser in 300 Savage I got a couple months back, I had run up with single charges to 43 grains of H4895 with a 125 BT. Picked a charge at 41 grains and tried 6 with 2 different brand primers. It shot a 4" group in a string! Knew something was wrong as no load can be off that far. Through some crude measuring methods by compressing the firing pin spring on a digital scale, I determined for one thing it had a weak firing spring. Ordered a new spring for it and that shrunk the group in half. Gave it a good bore cleaning and went back today and it shrunk again. Tried a 41 load and a 41.4 with a .020 deeper seating depth. Shot right at 1 1/4" which honestly until I get rid of the military trigger which has a football field length of creep in it, that might be as good as I can shoot it.

First target test of 4".

Today after working on it.

.4 grains more and seated .020 deeper. I wont mess with it any more until I get a new trigger.

Also pulled out a CZ 98 Mauser in a heavy barreled 22-250 I picked up cheap last yr pretty much for the action. Little bit I initially messed with it last yr I wasn't too impressed and since I had plenty of other stuff to work on I put it back until now. I had already cleaned it good as the bore was practically plugged when I got it, but now I gave it a serious cleaning down to bare metal and started over with the tried and true H380.

Just loaded up 3 each at 38, 38.2, and 38.4. After 2 fouling shots the 38 group shot 1 an 1/4" which is pretty much what it was doing, the 38.2 knocked it down to 3/4", and the 38.4 came down to 1/2". I might try just a touch hotter and mess a little bit with seating depth just in case it will shoot down in the 3's but if it will shoot 1/2" I'm happy.

Just an FYI in case you need it.
In Winchester’s last brass run there was quite a bit of 300 Savage. You can find it online or pm me and I’ll grab however many you want. I saw some at a local store.

Thanks DW, I got 14 new brass off my buddy just to get started, once I get it tuned in I'll look for a decent supply of brass.

Bearcat, didn't want to keep shooting it just to shoot it until I got a new trigger. I ended up taking the creep out of the original the same way I did my springfield since the trigger design is pretty much identical. If groups don't tighten up just from a much improved trigger, I'll try your suggestion next time I shoot it. Thanks for the advice.

ShadeTree":10xuwsi5 said:
Thanks DW, I got 14 new brass off my buddy just to get started, once I get it tuned in I'll look for a decent supply of brass.

Bearcat, didn't want to keep shooting it just to shoot it until I got a new trigger. I ended up taking the creep out of the original the same way I did my springfield since the trigger design is pretty much identical. If groups don't tighten up just from a much improved trigger, I'll try your suggestion next time I shoot it. Thanks for the advice.

ShadeTree,

I've never felt a Mauser trigger I liked.
Tried smoothing them - Helped but wasn't still wasn't happy with results.
Tried a Huber drop-in trigger as an inexpensive option.
It helped more but was still not satisfied on scoped bolt rifles.
When with an adjustable Timney trigger and really liked them.
Can recommend the Timney,
however there are a lot of other good after-market triggers out there at that $$$.

RaySendero":2bgnb488 said:
ShadeTree":2bgnb488 said:

ShadeTree,

I've never felt a Mauser trigger I liked.
Tried smoothing them - Helped but wasn't still wasn't happy with results.
Tried a Huber drop-in trigger as an inexpensive option.
It helped more but was still not satisfied on scoped bolt rifles.
When with an adjustable Timney trigger and really liked them.
Can recommend the Timney,
however there are a lot of other good after-market triggers out there at that $$$.

Ray, you are correct. They aren't good. I redone the military trigger on my Springfield, and it's pretty darn good as military triggers go, but still not a precision trigger for bench shooting. This 93 is now better, but not as good as the Springfield.

Only thing I don't like about the Timney's is having to take material out of the stock and trigger guard to get them fitting properly. Don't know why if they're making a trigger for a particular gun, that they can't make them drop in to fit that model. But I suppose if I'm gonna get serious about making this one as nice a shooting gun as possible, a Timney is in order.

Yeah,

The Timney triggers I've used had the side safety,
which required even more fitting.
Then since you had to mess with the stock, Its no longer original.
So only did this to shooters that were not collectable.

That's why I mentioned the Huber triggers.
They will just drop in and will make enough improvement to be worthwhile.
They are relatively half the price of a Timney.

RaySendero":3lzrve24 said:
Yeah,

The Timney triggers I've used had the side safety,
which required even more fitting.
Then since you had to mess with the stock, Its no longer original.
So only did this to shooters that were not collectable.

That's why I mentioned the Huber triggers.
They will just drop in and will make enough improvement to be worthwhile.
They are relatively half the price of a Timney.

Cool deal, I'll check them out, thanks!

Back