Crimp rifle loads, or not?

dkmlever

Beginner
Oct 27, 2006
Trying to improve my skills at reloading which I hope equals improved accuracy (or visa versa!).
So on 30-06 or 25-06 loads do you regularly crimp the bullet or not and why?
Thanks!

Crimping won’t hurt accuracy, but I haven’t noticed increased accuracy or better velocity standard deviation either.

It does leave a crimp at the brass at the top of the neck for future loading so I stopped crimping.

What 30-06 and 25-06 loads are you trying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bullet has a cannelure, I'll crimp into it.... otherwise I skip the crimp. For a bolt rifle, it really doesn't make a difference. An auto or a level gun would benefit more from a crimp.

I crimp my lever-gun handloads, but have never seen any point in crimping for the bolt action stuff. Neck tension has been enough, even with the magnums.

Guy

I used to crimp fairly often and shot some really tight groups with a Lee FCD. Now, I usually only crimp for lever guns, semi-autos and some big bore, heavy recoiling rifles.

I use the FCD on everything. I think the extra "bullet pull" helps ignition, resulting in better burn. I haven't found it to hurt anything, and it makes me feel better, ha. I went decades w/o crimping for bolt guns and used a roll crimp on levergun rounds.

joeelkdouglas asked about what loads I was using
25-06 Nosler brass, Fed 210 match primer, IMR 4350 49 gr, 115 gr Nosler BT
30-06 Nosler brass, fed 215 match primer, IMR 4350 55 gr 165 Nosler AccuBond
Both these loads shoot under 1 inch in my bolt rifles.
I am slowly upgrading my reloading equipment and looking for tips or techniques to eliminate the flyer or what not shots
Thanks for the responses.

dkmlever":19cwk36p said:
joeelkdouglas asked about what loads I was using
25-06 Nosler brass, Fed 210 match primer, IMR 4350 49 gr, 115 gr Nosler BT
30-06 Nosler brass, fed 215 match primer, IMR 4350 55 gr 165 Nosler AccuBond
Both these loads shoot under 1 inch in my bolt rifles.
I am slowly upgrading my reloading equipment and looking for tips or techniques to eliminate the flyer or what not shots
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back