270 WSM or 270 Wby?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
What's the real world difference between the 270 WSM and 270 Wby with 140-160 gr bullets? I'm going to guess it's less than 100 fps and probably even less than that. I have always liked the 270 Wby and think it's a great choice for a long range rig. The problem is I could buy a Tikka 270 WSM for not much more than the cost to rebarrel an existing rifle. The purpose of this would be to have a nice lightweight mountain rifle.

The Tikka 270 WSM has a 1 in 10 twist barrel 24.3" long

The 270 Wby I would keep the barrel 24-25" long since long barrels in this country are not helpful at all (read packing the thing up the mountains in thick brush). If I go this route it would be a Benchmark 1 in 8.5 twist because it's available.

I like the Weatherby but think the 270 WSM would cover most of what it does and would handle anything I would want to.

Or maybe just wait for the right left hand 6.5 PRC to come along like the Tikka T3x :)

As much as I like the Weatherby cartridges...the 270WSM gets so close to the Weatherby cartridge there isn't enough difference to talk about.

The Weatherby rifle will weigh a good deal more and be several inches longer for the same ballistic performance. For a lightweight mountain rifle, the WSM is the only real choice between the two and in something like the Tikka- an economical choice that almost always shoots great- it's easy to love.

Gerry,
I have had both the WSM and the WBY over the years, and have to say that I preferred the WBY.
My WSM, also did not live up to is velocity claims. It was 100 fps slower in the 26" barreled rifle I had than their listed claimed velocity from a 24" barrel. Of course, it could have been a slow barrel on my rifle. My two different 24" barreled Wby's chronied claimed velocities. Of course my 28" barreled Wby got a little more.
At their typical velocities, no animal is going to know the difference between the two, and they both worked well on game.I also found that I preferred the 140 gr bullets in the 270 magnums, getting the best balance of velocity and energy. If wanting to shoot the 150 or 160 grain bullets, I would suggest moving up to the 7mm.
And unfortunately, in the Tikka, the WSM will be chambered in a long action, not a short action. They are good rifles, and shoot well.
For a mountain rifle, a short action will keep it lighter and handier. Finding a lefty is just a little harder.
I think the best route would be rebarreling a Browning X-Bolt in 270 WSM to get the 6.5 PRC.

I'm a little lost on the PRC and just exactly HOW that is a sensible short action round with a COAL with such a wide range.
Yes, it's shorter than the 6.5-284, granted, but with 140 grain bullets in the subject matter, the 140 grain PT seated to a 2.82" COAL...removes right at 8 grains of capacity. With what I've read on capacity measurements that leaves the usable capacity of about 59.8 give or take a grain. Work? Sure, You bet.
Anywhere close to a longer loaded 270 Bee?.......uh, nope. the 270 WBY CAN be loaded longer than specs with the longer Weatherby specs.

For the record the "found" measured capacity of the PRC being 67.7 grains (ISNT THAT 270 WIN stats?) adds do-whoop to the equation when compared to the 6.5-284....unless in a long action. I'm not on board with seating any bullet a half inch or more into the round. A 2.03" case plus 1.29" 140 gr PT = 3.32" - COAL of 2.82" for some kind of NORMAL short action COAL gives a seating depth of .500 inches. That puts the base of the bullet .0387" below the shoulder. If the case length is wrong, blame it on the lack of easily found info online........since it's NOT in the SAAMI pages that have yet.

Everyone's opinion varies but......the PRC is still a magnum diameter rim, is still a short fat magnum and if history has shown me anything it's that short fat short action rounds have a somewhat limited half life (aka SHORT).

That alone makes it a round I would not consider....for ME. I strongly dislike trying to hunt down brass that is fading into obscurity and, personally, that's where I see that round going but it's just my gut feeling. I've been wrong before but the hype just don't fit the numbers IMHO.
If not for a LONG range rifle and in a LONG action to take advantage of the case capacity.......eh. Not me. YMMV.

Everyone should buy and "play" with what they want. Period. While offered, my opinion is just that, an opinion.

With "normal for caliber" bullet weights (apples to apples with a 270 bore) it will be the barrel burner the 6.5-284 is but for a HUNTING round, that's pretty moot.....just info

There was more on my opinion but the site was CRASHING again so I posted what I had
God Bless
Steve

Love my wby Terra mark in 270 bee.

BqOlHB2.jpg

129 Barnes LRX at 3450 under moa!

Gorgeous gun Fotis.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Sako 7 mm RM and doing a 270 Wby one day. Maybe keep it a 7 mm RM for a while longer and keep it. I have tried to sell this gun but for some reason just can't let it go :lol:

Thanks for the input gentlemen, definitely know there is no wrong answer when it comes to the 270 WSM or Weatherby.

No doubt either cartridge would serve you well, Gerry. I do like my 270 WSM (actually each of them that I've owned). It is more than capable of handling everything I would ever hunt here in BC.

I have had a handful of 270 WSM. I ended up selling them to buy a 270 Weatherby because I couldn't get the speed I was convinced I had to have. I bought my father in law a 270 WSM a few years ago. It had a 26" inch tube and RL26 had been released since my last 270 WSM. I'm able to safely push a 140 AB at 3270 out of it and be under the Aliant listed max. That's only 10 feet less than I'm getting out of my 270 Weatherby with IMR 7828. I've played with rl26 in the Weatherby, but never really pursued it much. Maybe when I'm out of 7828 I'll revisit it.

If your talking 24" barrels I would go with the WSM. I don't think there is that much difference between them. They're both pretty awesome in my mind.

jmad_81":27nph6w6 said:
I have had a handful of 270 WSM. I ended up selling them to buy a 270 Weatherby because I couldn't get the speed I was convinced I had to have. I bought my father in law a 270 WSM a few years ago. It had a 26" inch tube and RL26 had been released since my last 270 WSM. I'm able to safely push a 140 AB at 3270 out of it and be under the Aliant listed max. That's only 10 feet less than I'm getting out of my 270 Weatherby with IMR 7828. I've played with rl26 in the Weatherby, but never really pursued it much. Maybe when I'm out of 7828 I'll revisit it.

If your talking 24" barrels I would go with the WSM. I don't think there is that much difference between them. They're both pretty awesome in my mind.

I’ll echo Jake here. I like my 270 WSM a lot. 150 Partitions in the 3175 range with RL26. Its done great with Magpro, RL22, RL25, H1000, 7828, etc with anything from 130-150 grains. I’d be fine with a 270 Wby as well, but the magic lies more in the freebore than case capacity with it. It’s less than a couple grains difference in actual case capacity. I’d probably swap the tikka around to use LA mags for a 270 WSM so I could stretch stuff out a little but the WSMs have been about the easiest rifles ever to find good loads for. At least in my experience.

Man this is a tough choice for me :lol: I have no doubt's that the Tikka would shoot lights out and being able to modify it easily to use the longer magazines would be a real plus. It's easily available in a stainless left hand which is even better.

I guess I'll have to get both eventually, I have liked the 270 Wby since I was a young guy. Maybe a Ruger no 1 or find a rare LH Mk 5 Weatherby in the round.

gerry":3qv5w3av said:
Man this is a tough choice for me :lol: I have no doubt's that the Tikka would shoot lights out and being able to modify it easily to use the longer magazines would be a real plus. It's easily available in a stainless left hand which is even better.

I guess I'll have to get both eventually, I have liked the 270 Wby since I was a young guy. Maybe a Ruger no 1 or find a rare LH Mk 5 Weatherby in the round.

These days, the Tikka is a no brainer for me if I am buying a new rifle they chamber a cartridge I want in. They have all been such great shooters for me. Putting them into Sako Classic EDGE makes them every bit of a serious BG rifle as anything else I’d use.

I always keep my eye out for a 70 Classic 270 Weatherby though.... I love my 270’s even though they don’t boast the numbers the 6.5 or 7mm do, they do produce for me.

Those model 70 270 Weatherby rifles do come up once and a while, I'm sure there are a couple of guys who frequent here that have them. It would be a very desirable rifle to own. Sako used to chamber it as well in their L 691 series too so that might be an option for you if one pops up.

gerry":24xzj9m2 said:
Those model 70 270 Weatherby rifles do come up once and a while, I'm sure there are a couple of guys who frequent here that have them. It would be a very desirable rifle to own. Sako used to chamber it as well in their L 691 series too so that might be an option for you if one pops up.

I passed a couple that I kick myself for. I’ve got a Krieger 2 contour 1-8 .277 in the safe that would make a ripper 270 Weatherby.

SJB358":24y1o8pj said:
gerry":24y1o8pj said:

I passed a couple that I kick myself for. I’ve got a Krieger 2 contour 1-8 .277 in the safe that would make a ripper 270 Weatherby.

That would be an awesome build, you could run those 170 gr Berger's at probably 3100 fps or more! My 270 Win didn't like them but I did find they matched the same loads and speeds as 160 gr PT's. Would imagine they would do the same in the big Weatherby case.

Yeah, I’ve got the P64 270 Win Featherweight, a Tikka SL 270 and my 70 270 WSM.... All three just make me happy... pretty sure the 270 is getting a Sako Classic put on it. It is a GREAT shooting rifle. The little featherweight is just a demon with 130 Tipper Bear Claws at 3150... one, if not my favorite rifle.

Tough to beat that load, but of course we all seem to try new stuff :lol: The two loads in my 270 Win that it really likes can cover anything in this country easily with the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition. Got lots of other bullets here to try in a new 277 magnum. They might not be as popular as the 7 mm's but I sure like them.

Back