145 gr ELD-X 270 Win

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Don't want to hijack another similar thread. Has anyone used the 145 gr ELD-X in the 270 Win in bigger rounds? The 143's seem to have a good reputation at 6.5 Creedmoor speeds but a 270 Win is going to launch the 277 version at around 300 fps faster. I would assume they would have toughened them up a bit knowing they are going to be used in faster rounds. At least I hope they did.

gerry":1t4s1xzj said:
Don't want to hijack another similar thread. Has anyone used the 145 gr ELD-X in the 270 Win in bigger rounds? The 143's seem to have a good reputation at 6.5 Creedmoor speeds but a 270 Win is going to launch the 277 version at around 300 fps faster. I would assume they would have toughened them up a bit knowing they are going to be used in faster rounds. At least I hope they did.

I’ve never thought to run them into jugs Gerry. Still have 3/4’s of a box of them. I’d bet they are dynamite on deer sized stuff. I’d bet they aren’t nearly as hardy as a 150 Ballistic Tip is, but it’s just a hunch. Not that it needs to be either, but the ELDs seem to work well on deer for us. Not sure I’d run them into elk myself, but I know Nathan is crushing animals with the 147 and I’d think that 225 would have plenty of mass outta my RUM.

The 150 gr Ballistic Tip is a favourite and the gun likes them too. Still one of the very best. The ELD-X is an interesting option that I would like to try. If you get a chance to shoot one into the jugs the next time out that would be awesome.

On a somewhat related note, my 270 Win is showing promise with H 4831 sc and the 140 gr Sierra TGK Gamechanger. That is a really great looking sleek bullet.

gerry":3omhp40z said:
The 150 gr Ballistic Tip is a favourite and the gun likes them too. Still one of the very best. The ELD-X is an interesting option that I would like to try. If you get a chance to shoot one into the jugs the next time out that would be awesome.

On a somewhat related note, my 270 Win is showing promise with H 4831 sc and the 140 gr Sierra TGK Gamechanger. That is a really great looking sleek bullet.

My little brother used the 140 grain Tipper Bear Claw with 56-57 grains of H4831SC in his 270 for a flat 2900. Worked well for him and you cannot best H4831SC for just being good and easy to work with.

With the 140 gr TGK Sierra shows data up to 58.9 gr H 4831 sc and 2975 fps which is really good. I think I ended up at 58 gr but it looks like a bit of tweaking the powder charge and seating depth will bring them in nicely. As it was they ended up around 1 " or a bit less at 104 yards.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... d_data.pdf

Oh yes and the 130 gr TGK looks great in the 260 as well.

The 145 ELD-X over IMR4955 is a hammer in my son's Tikka. We tend to hunt open mountains and close shots are few and far between so a little bit soft isn't going to hurt.

hodgeman":2rzr623v said:
The 145 ELD-X over IMR4955 is a hammer in my son's Tikka. We tend to hunt open mountains and close shots are few and far between so a little bit soft isn't going to hurt.

Have you guys put any on game yet? The 270 Win drives it fast enough to be really impressive downrange I bet.

gerry":2dt7ww8y said:
Have you guys put any on game yet? The 270 Win drives it fast enough to be really impressive downrange I bet.

Caribou- sort of a longish shot at around 300. But it held together and exited through the ribs. Bull dropped in place and never twitched.

I'm thinking these would really turn the lights out on something like goats and black bears that benefit from some more bullet shock. I wouldn't want to run a griz out of an alder thicket with one, but nothing .270 fits that description.

I just loaded a buddy up some 178 ELD-X for his '06 with Superformance that should be running 2800fps. I bet those will work really well.

hodgeman":2fvp2gft said:
gerry":2fvp2gft said:

Caribou- sort of a longish shot at around 300. But it held together and exited through the ribs. Bull dropped in place and never twitched.

I'm thinking these would really turn the lights out on something like goats and black bears that benefit from some more bullet shock. I wouldn't want to run a griz out of an alder thicket with one, but nothing .270 fits that description.

I just loaded a buddy up some 178 ELD-X for his '06 with Superformance that should be running 2800fps. I bet those will work really well.

Thanks for the info sounds like what I would have expected. I'm likely going on a mule deer hunt in early September where the distances could be long. Sounds like these will be perfect for that. I have a blacktail hunt this year where I'll try the 140 gr Sierra TGK to see what they are like.

I would be interested in knowing how they perform as well.
I've heard some great things about RL26, and 130 gr - 150gr bullets.
Is it me, or is the 140 gr bullets kinda a mismatch for the .270?
You can drive 130's faster, and in some manuals, you can drive 150's as fast, if not faster than the 140's.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":towuerw7 said:
I would be interested in knowing how they perform as well.
I've heard some great things about RL26, and 130 gr - 150gr bullets.
Is it me, or is the 140 gr bullets kinda a mismatch for the .270?
You can drive 130's faster, and in some manuals, you can drive 150's as fast, if not faster than the 140's.

Ain't much that'll withstand a 140 at 2900-3100 from a 270.. It's a solid combo, and a good blend of speed and ballistics from the 130-150 range in the 270.

Check out how many 140 AccuBond users have doted over that sucker from a 270 Win to a Wby. Me included.

Now, I will say I am waiting to see what the 150 AccuBond for the 270 will do.. That is about perfect in my eyes, especially with some RL26 or similar providing the push.

SJB358 & GERRY,

I would love to see a 140gr pushed out at 3100 fps. I believe it would be an outstanding bullet in the .270, middle of the road kinda thing.
The 140 gr AccuBond would be the bee's knees.
I also have a .280 Remington, and welcome the 150gr AccuBond for that.

gerry":h49gcm7g said:
I'm really waiting for the 150 gr AccuBond as well, been wanting something like this for a long time. Looks like the 7 mm 150's are out now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62575 ... -box-of-50

Should be just the ticket in your 280 and 7 mm WSM Scotty. The 277 150 should be out before too long.

I have thought about giving it a shot in them Gerry.

I would have LOVED a plain old 175 grain 7mm AccuBond. I am sure I could love the ABLR, but after being stung a bunch of times with the ABLR, I am not inclined to buy a box of them, knowing I could probably get a plain old 175 AccuBond to be a shooter..

HAWKEYESATX said:
SJB358 & GERRY,

I would love to see a 140gr pushed out at 3100 fps. I believe it would be an outstanding bullet in the .270, middle of the road kinda thing.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk[
Hi HAWKEYESATX.
I'm a huge fan of the 140gr bullets. Been using them in my Husky 270 for years on deer, moose and elk. Can't figure why more guys aren't using them. The bullet I've been using is Hornady's 140gr BTSP. I know there are better bullets regarding weight retention but.... Anywho, I think Nosler's 140gr AccuBond is hard to beat, as you do, for a do it all bullet. My gun just happens to love the Hornady 140gr BTSP.
But back to your wish of a 140gr bullet at 3100fps. I recently switched from H4831, which I've used for years, to RL26. Speeds went from 2900 to just over 3100 fps. Accuracy was equal among the two powders albeit RL26 took a bit more work to dial in.
I can post the recipe if you're interested.
Cheers.

lagerboy":1l41jb05 said:
HAWKEYESATX":1l41jb05 said:
SJB358 & GERRY,

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk[
Hi HAWKEYESATX.
I'm a huge fan of the 140gr bullets. Been using them in my Husky 270 for years on deer, moose and elk. Can't figure why more guys aren't using them. The bullet I've been using is Hornady's 140gr BTSP. I know there are better bullets regarding weight retention but.... Anywho, I think Nosler's 140gr AccuBond is hard to beat, as you do, for a do it all bullet. My gun just happens to love the Hornady 140gr BTSP.
But back to your wish of a 140gr bullet at 3100fps. I recently switched from H4831, which I've used for years, to RL26. Speeds went from 2900 to just over 3100 fps. Accuracy was equal among the two powders albeit RL26 took a bit more work to dial in.
I can post the recipe if you're interested.
Cheers.
Yes, I would like that recipe please

Here it is guys. 61.5gr RL26
3.295 COL
140gr Hornady BTSP
CCI 250 Primer
3115 fps
I started at 57gr of RL26. No stiff bolt and primers are fine with the aforementioned load.

Attachments

• 20180603_101244.jpg
    20180603_101244.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,564
Lagerboy,

That's outstanding! Thank you very much for sharing your recipe. I will write it down in my reloading book, and keep it for future reference.

Back