.338 Win Mag Cow Elk Bullet

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I've shot a few head of game with the 338 Caliber (WM & 340W) all but one were monos. I like elk meat so don't want a lot of bloodshot. I will be shooting at 300yds or less, but probably have to pick one out of a herd w/o hitting another one ( I know not to have anything "behind her", ha) I can go light and fast ( 160/180/200/210) or heavy and slow (250 PT/AB). Monos to PT/AB. I only have one medium weight, the 225 TTSX What have you elk/moose hunters used in any 338cal that was a good killer yet didn't ruin a lot of meat?

You'll get less bloodshot meat from a slower bullet. So I wouldn't recommend the light and fast route.
A friend has used the Speer 200 gr SP bullet a moderate velocities with good luck and performance on game and minimal meat damage. Also a very shootable load and easy on the shoulder.
Their 220 gr Fp would be a good choice, as well as the Hdy RN bullets. You could also try the 215gr SGK at a modest velocity.
The PT/AB would also be fine at slower velocities.

Jim;
load it like you did the 35/AI because you will be developing the same velocities with the same bullets. Just like the 35/AI the 338 Win is a penetrater so don't expect to keep a bullet inside an Elk unless you hit the shoulder with a cup and core bullet and then expect meat loss.
Work up a load for a 210gr PT and hold on the shoulder and make sure there isn't another one behind her.
If your going to shoot into a herd you should expect to hit more then one.

I meant I'd "have to pick one out with nothing behind her" kind of shot, requiring accuracy above speed. ha I watched a herd of milling Black Wildebeast for over 30 minutes in SA before I caught my bull alone. They are bat crap crazy too, jump, swirl, buck and run all the time! Thanks guys!

225gr Swift A-Frame in front of 71grs or IMR4350 and a Mag primer. Preferred primer would be a Fed 215. Has worked great for me in Africa and on deer here in the USA. That is what I will be using for my elk hunt in Utah in Oct.

I’ve been very happy with the 250 gr AccuBond. I’ve probably killed 10 or so elk with that bullet, don’t recall ever thinking about blood shot meat. Shots have ranged from 30 to 481 yards. I always try to pick up at least one shoulder, aim through to the far shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk are big and don’t seem to get bloodied up horribly bad from 338’s or even fast 7’s or 30’s. Just a much heavier animal. The 338 Win with ANYTHING decently built will and does work great. 210 Swift’s, Noslers, Barnes and about anything else they make work excellent Jim. I’d use whichever shoots best and like Don said, aim for the far leg on away and near leg towards. They might wobble a minute but they aren’t going anywhere.

So far my favorite is the 210 Scirrocos in my 338... accurate as heck and opens like a demon.

I’ve killed elk, moose, Sitka black tail, and coastal brown bear with factory .338 Win Mag 250gr Remington Core-Lokt. The bear took 2.

I shot a bull elk with a 210 gr PT at 3200 fps from a 338 RUM at 350 yards through both shoulders and DRT with a golf ball sized exit. Shot a bull moose with a 250 gr PT at 3000 fps from y 338 RUM at 60 yards, bully went the off side shoulder blade and was under the hide. In both cases, meat loss was minimal.
The 250 gr PT is an impressive killer, even. WT deer.

JD338

What is your load salmon and how fast do you push it? My rifle has a typically Remington long throat. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up liking the longer bullets.

I know many swear by the 210PT (Bob Hagel for sure did) but one guy reported it ruining an entire shoulder. It could have been a fluke, who knows? I'm not too worried about it as "any elk on the ground" is a good one, bloodshot or not! ha Thanks guys.

Mine is a 338 Jarrett, so it’s on par with the RUM. I’m running 2950 with the 250 AccuBond or Partitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I've killed with a 338 RUM was a big Aoudad. I used the 180 NAB and at 250yds it acted like a Partition. Both me and the Aoudad were impressed! Thanks Pard.

I love the 338 WM as an Elk rifle. I have shot several elk with several different bullets. the Barnes 185 XLC (?, the blue coated ones), the 225 AB, the 225 Ttsx and tsx. I have also ran the 225 Ab out of a 338 Edge, and the 250 VLD and 265 ABLR out of the 338 Rum.

Out of all those bullets, I really like the 265 ABLR. I felt like it was the perfect blend of "shock and awe" and controlled expansion. I really liked the 225 AB but I had it in my head that if I wasn't getting complete pass through on cows under 300 yards, I needed a different bullet (my not as intelligent younger years). But, they certainly were effective. The 225 Barnes were my answer to the perceived penetration issue. They worked well, but I got tired of cleaning my rifle (it fouls horrible with any bullet, but the barnes was worse). The XLC was just because I could get stupid speeds and have a cool blue bullet. I shot by first bull with them and they worked pretty dang well.

I guess that's the big thing I love about the .338 diameter bullets....They are almost all great elk bullets. It has also been my experience that the larger slower bullets will cause less meat damage. I would start with some 250gr. something (the AB that was suggested would be my starting point) and see what shoots.

Best of luck to you!

preacher":2fm66s1v said:
I know many swear by the 210PT (Bob Hagel for sure did) but one guy reported it ruining an entire shoulder. It could have been a fluke, who knows? I'm not too worried about it as "any elk on the ground" is a good one, bloodshot or not! ha Thanks guys.

I’d not sweat it a bit Jim. The 210 hasn’t ever been hard on meat that I’ve seen. It’s is HARD on elk though.

I’ll echo Jakes thoughts though. Ain’t a bad 338 Bullet really.

The 225AB has worked well for me out of my 338WM. My load isn't the fastest, but it is accurate out of my Browning A-bolt with the BOSS.

Edit: The average velocity I get is 2784 fps.

FWIW, I use the 250 gr AB as my go to bullet in the 338 RUM for crop damage deer hunting. With a MV of 3000 fps, it just plain kills deer from 50-500+ yards with a nice exit wound in the ribs. The 250 gr AB would be a great choice!

JD338

Thanks JD, it IS one long beautiful bullet! I am starting out with R26 and it, hoping I'l have good accuracy at or near 2800fps. There was a time I would have already had this 338WM converted to the 338 RUM or 340W, but I've played with both before, and loved them. Now I'm dialing back a bit. As I mentioned elsewhere, I "should" have been born as a Trust Fund Baby, with all the time/ money to hunt/shoot all over the world...and my little wife go with me! ha. But, didn't happen. :)

Finally got to the range today. 50 deg, no wind and sunshine! Both these Classics ( .270W & 338WM) have pretty long throats. I can seat bullets pretty far out ( more room for powder!) so was able to get about .85" with 4rds 130 Hornady/61gr H4831 with no problem. 62 started to open up. The champs were the 150 & 160 partitions. 150NP over 59gr of N560 (210M instead of BR2) gave .62" for 3 shots. (right at 2950) and the 160NP over 60gr R26 went .55 for 3! That's also right at 2950fps or so! Man! That's the best I ever got with my 24" 7mm Rem Mag 160NP/IMR 4350 40 years ago! No hard bolt lift, etc. Both are around 64+K according to QL.

The "kicker" though (Classics are pretty light!) (not really, its Limbsaver pad was wonderful!) was the 338. The R15/200NBT and best 210PT over R17 both went into 1.24-1.40". Kinda disappointing really. But the 250NP over 74.8gr/N560 went .64" for 3 and its best was with the 250NAB over 74.6gr/R26 with 3 going into .52" average! Now I'll check it out further and see if it holds its accuracy.

I'm happy. Way Happy...tickled "pink"! :)

That’s great Jim. What did the 338 loads run for speed?

Sounds like the 270 and 338 are pretty danged good.

Back