Ever had one of THOSE rifles?

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
By that I mean a rifle that no matter what bullet or load you put through it, it will shoot lights out.
I picked up a rifle about 10 years ago from an estate sale that the fellow that had died was a bench rest shooter and also had a bunch of wild cat caliber rifles and Contender pistol stuff. I got a rifle that had just been built and had only been to the range two times. This fellow documented EVERYTHING. He was going to use this rifle to shoot hunter class bench rest with CAST BULLETS. He had the rifle built by taking a Ruger 77 Bull barrel 220 swift and had the barrel re-bored to a 1 in 14 twist 30 cal. and chambered in 30x47 (300 Savage case with shoulder pushed back 10 thousands but left the same over all length). Rifle has a Canjar triger. This rifle has shot at it's worst moa with a bunch of powders and different bullets 168 gr and under. I went to my new hunting lease land that has a nice shooting range lay out also and shot this rifle some yesterday evening and spent the night and was planning on doing some shooting at 600 yards this morning but it decided to rain that 20% chance and the wind blew pretty good so I just packed up and came home. It just blows my mind how accurate this rifle is. With what it really likes 1/2" 5 shot groups were easy at 200 yards yesterday. I put a new scope on it, Vortex 6.5-20x50, and zeroed at 100 and then checked it for proper dialing track at the 200 yard target. Works just like it is supposed to. There is a 600 yard target and a 1000 yard target but I don't think I can stay super sonic with the 155 Nosler custom comps it loves at that distance. It does 2600 fps at the muzzle.

My 25-06 shoots really well with anything also. Not 1/2 inch at 200 good, but I’m not a 1/2 at 200 level shooter.

The 25-06 makes it tough to pick a preferred powder, seating depth, bullet, etc. It just plain likes everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My custom built 280 AI on a 700 action blueprinted, Tubb recoil lug, Hart #5 24" fluted barrel.
She shoots 120 gr, 140 gr, 150 gr, 160 gr and 168 gr ABLR into bug hole groups.

JD338

My custom lh Rem 700 in 300 WSM shoots everything I have tried in it to 1" or less, both in factory and handloaded 180 gr loads. It's preferred factory and handloads are sub=1/2MOA with the 180 gr AB's. Even the Win 180gr Power Points will shoot 3/4MOA.
Shoots so well and has worked so well on game that I have not tried any other weight of bullet.

I've had many Sporter weight and a few Magnums do that. I've never had a LWT barrel do that with every weight, they seemed to like one or two weights better than the others. I "did have" a Mod700 Mountain rifle rebarreled with a Shilen #2 in 30-06 that did well with everything too...but family emergency got it sold. "Most" Ministers do NOT have a bunch of money guys! ha

Blkram,

I, too, had a Rem M700 that would shoot everything into what would look like a <1"group at 100 yds.
It was a 270W. Most any of my reloads and all factory loads I put through it.

Didn't seem to matter on bullet weight either.
I had a pic of what looked like a 7/8" group,
But was 8 shots: 2-130s, 2-135s, 2-140s and 2-150s.
Gosh, Wish you could see it. Would go great with this thread.
Lost it when Hunt101.com when down.
Only rifle I ever had that would do that and it was factory!

I could build, customize and tune bunch of the rest to shoot good.
But not across such a range of factory, reloads loads and bullet weights!

You would think that if they could build 1 rifle that would do that,
Why not bunch more?

Wish there were more like it. I got an older factory M70 in 06 that is bone stock except for some trigger work I done on the still factory trigger, that was and is so easy to load for with both 150's and 180's it's ridiculous. Speer, Hornady, and Sierra PH are what I've run through it so far....as long as they're flat base, it likes to shoot bug hole groups with any of those combo's and IMR 4350.

1Shot":2kqh4whg said:
By that I mean a rifle that no matter what bullet or load you put through it, it will shoot lights out.
I picked up a rifle about 10 years ago from an estate sale that the fellow that had died was a bench rest shooter and also had a bunch of wild cat caliber rifles and Contender pistol stuff. I got a rifle that had just been built and had only been to the range two times. This fellow documented EVERYTHING. He was going to use this rifle to shoot hunter class bench rest with CAST BULLETS. He had the rifle built by taking a Ruger 77 Bull barrel 220 swift and had the barrel re-bored to a 1 in 14 twist 30 cal. and chambered in 30x47 (300 Savage case with shoulder pushed back 10 thousands but left the same over all length). Rifle has a Canjar triger. This rifle has shot at it's worst moa with a bunch of powders and different bullets 168 gr and under. I went to my new hunting lease land that has a nice shooting range lay out also and shot this rifle some yesterday evening and spent the night and was planning on doing some shooting at 600 yards this morning but it decided to rain that 20% chance and the wind blew pretty good so I just packed up and came home. It just blows my mind how accurate this rifle is. With what it really likes 1/2" 5 shot groups were easy at 200 yards yesterday. I put a new scope on it, Vortex 6.5-20x50, and zeroed at 100 and then checked it for proper dialing track at the 200 yard target. Works just like it is supposed to. There is a 600 yard target and a 1000 yard target but I don't think I can stay super sonic with the 155 Nosler custom comps it loves at that distance. It does 2600 fps at the muzzle.

Sure did. I shot HBR with 30x44 and 30x47 both tight necks. I shot BIB 118gr and bullet he no longer makes. It was pretty good match rd and we never shoot pass 300yds. I get on BR site and last few years haven't heard much about either one but nice to see someone enjoy one. Good luck

gbflyer":10crkceh said:

Ha!

Also frustrating is the rifle that will only shoot one combination well. When you find it you’re good.

I have a 30-06 that just doesn’t like 180 grain bullets much. 155s fine. 165s good. 180s 2 MOA. Took me a while before I gave up on the 180s!

My Tikka T3 varmint stainless in 30-06 falls into that category. Bedded and a triggerjob, otherwise factory.
Shot the 180 gr NP, 165 AB, 168 TTSX, Lapua Mega, 168 NCC and now the 150 LOS HT very well. POI close enough to mix them on shorter ranges.
Hope the barrel lasts some more...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

joelkdouglas":otqbexas said:
gbflyer":otqbexas said:

Ha!

Also frustrating is the rifle that will only shoot one combination well. When you find it you’re good.

I have a 30-06 that just doesn’t like 180 grain bullets much. 155s fine. 165s good. 180s 2 MOA. Took me a while before I gave up on the 180s!

Even worse is the pig in the pokes that just wont shoot period. I got a guys Creedmoor here now that would make a darn good garden stake. After taking care of a few obvious potential problems and double checking everything, it still doesn't shoot. Got a new box of bullets in a different weight and Hornady's match ammo, and it shoots those even worse. Swapped the expensive Leupold that's on it for a cheap Bushnell in case that was the problem. No dice.

Stainless from one end to the other, fluted barrel, stainless scope bases and rings. Looks like a Corvette, runs like a Yugo.

ShadeTree":21u1yn5u said:
Wish there were more like it. I got an older factory M70 in 06 that is bone stock except for some trigger work I done on the still factory trigger, that was and is so easy to load for with both 150's and 180's it's ridiculous. Speer, Hornady, and Sierra PH are what I've run through it so far....as long as they're flat base, it likes to shoot bug hole groups with any of those combo's and IMR 4350.

I got 2 pre-64s - One is stock the other custom, but both are very fussy.
Over the years, I been able to get 1 load for each that will go 1/2" at 100yds.
So they both can be very accurate, but if someone gave up too soon,
They would be left thinking both were just so-so hunting accurate.

Back