22-250 H414 53 V-Max

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Had an urge to get out the Savage 12FCV 22-250 to try out a 53 grain V-Max..I've had a pound of H414 collecting dust for a while and decided to give it a run with the 53 V-Max. This old powder still delivers the goods...I think once I get rid of the scope base I have on the rifle now, I'll be able to eliminate the pulled shots. The base and rings have the scope set up ridiculously high and I can't get a good check rest. (maybe a chin rest if I try ) I didn't chrono them, so I have no idea what the speeds are. I'm going to re-shoot a few of them like the 38.5 and 40.5 when the new lower Talley scope base gets here Friday..I'll speed test them then. Right now the bullet is .020 back

Attachments

• 414-2.jpg
    414-2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 414-1.jpg
    414-1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 510
I found that VV N140 and the 22-250 go together likes peas and carrots, ha. It burned a lot "cooler", didn't heat up the barrel hardly at all. If you ever get a chance to try some. Of course, H414 is dandy, your rifle sure seems to like it!

You got a couple loads there super close and if they don't get any better they're still good. What twist rate is on that rifle, faster than 14 twist?

ShadeTree":3mqfl48q said:
You got a couple loads there super close and if they don't get any better they're still good. What twist rate is on that rifle, faster than 14 twist?

Yea, it’s a 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter24605":irdrp6jz said:
ShadeTree":irdrp6jz said:

Yea, it’s a 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was figuring it must be quicker than the standard 14 to shoot those that well. The 53 V-max is a pretty long bullet.

shot the loads again today with the lower scope base and the grouped snugged up nicely to a ragged hole. The 40.5 gr load clocked at 3762 fps. That load is max in my rifle. At 41.0 and I got a slightly cratered primer and lightly stiff bolt lift

Back