Availability of Reloder 26?

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I haven't seen any Reloder 26 for sale anywhere in a long time. Does any one have any idea of why it is so scare and when it might be available again? I have a couple of loads it seems to work very good in but I am hesitant to do much load development with just the one pound that I have.

Dan

Check with Powder Valley on availability. I usually have good luck with them and the prices are right.

diverdown":6slcsr84 said:
Check with Powder Valley on availability. I usually have good luck with them and the prices are right.

Diverdown, based on your suggestion, I just checked Powder Valley. However, they are out of stock.

In New York State, we have the "SAFE ACT" which prevents us from directly ordering loaded cartridges, primers, or powder. So, I have to find a gun shop within driving distance that either stocks the stuff or is willing to order it for me. So, that means that the distributors for the local gun shops also have to have it. it is a real bummer trying to get anything that is not .243, 270, 308, or 30-06 related.

Dan

I recently emailed Alliant asking what the complication(s) was and in the reply there was no hard and fast answer. However, they said that hopefully there could be a shipment by the end of the month.

Ron

NYDAN":1g0058yk said:
I haven't seen any Reloder 26 for sale anywhere in a long time. Does any one have any idea of why it is so scare and when it might be available again? I have a couple of loads it seems to work very good in but I am hesitant to do much load development with just the one pound that I have.

Dan

Dan, if you ever get down around Harrisburg, check out Shyda's Gun Shop. They have the largest powder selection I have ever seen and the very best prices I have paid. They usually have anything a guy could want in 1-5-8lb jugs. I'd give them a ring and see what they have before making the trip, but they had Fed 215M's when everyone else did not!

SJB358":1p72hb71 said:
Dan, if you ever get down around Harrisburg, check out Shyda's Gun Shop. They have the largest powder selection I have ever seen and the very best prices I have paid. They usually have anything a guy could want in 1-5-8lb jugs. I'd give them a ring and see what they have before making the trip, but they had Fed 215M's when everyone else did not!

Scotty, Thanks for the suggestion. I get close enough to Harrisburg that it wouldn't be that far out of my way to stop in sometime.

Dan

I just checked Sportsman's Warehouse availability and there is 1 LB in stock in the entire company. All stores and the warehouse!

NYDAN":26eueoks said:
SJB358":26eueoks said:

Scotty, Thanks for the suggestion. I get close enough to Harrisburg that it wouldn't be that far out of my way to stop in sometime.

Dan

It’s worth the stop Dan. Trust me. I know how much you like to load ammo and Shydas is THE BEST reloading place I’ve found from Coast to Coast snoopin. Powder and primers is their thing. They do stock a good amount of Bullets though and I’ve yet to see anyone beat their price.

FOTIS":3d8gr6at said:
I just checked Sportsman's Warehouse availability and there is 1 LB in stock in the entire company. All stores and the warehouse!

Thank, Fotis. Unfortunately, I can't order primers, powder or loaded ammo in New York State due to the "NYS Safe Act". But, now that you found a pound, I bet someone here will order it right away.

Dan

NYDAN":wx6qovr0 said:
FOTIS":wx6qovr0 said:

Thank, Fotis. Unfortunately, I can't order primers, powder or loaded ammo in New York State due to the "NYS Safe Act". But, now that you found a pound, I bet someone here will order it right away.

Dan

To the best of my (NY) knowledge, the law only applied to ammo and that was relaxed with the state's inability to create the required database to support the stupid regulation. Several ammo suppliers ship to NY residences every day. Targetsport.com is one of the biggest suppliers.

Shipping powder and primers were never an issue under the UnSafeAct.

I have about 1 1/2 pds I use 'sparingly" ha. So far, its been the best in my 270W and 160PT. It seems to indeed be "pixie dust", ha. But N560 seems to run right with it, so a pretty good substitute.

I found some RL26 at a store about 35 miles from me. Their price is $ 39.99 lb. Is this average or price gouging? H4350 is the same price and it is one of the powders hard to find within my normal driving distance. What prices are you guys paying? Dan.

Dan, that's high compared to what I pay. Powder ranges from $26-$31 per lb depending on what type and where I'm buying it. Average is $28-$29 per lb.

Is this average or price gouging? H4350 is the same price

Yes, but it depends on how bad you want it. You figure you are going to get a 100+ rounds from a pound, for hunting one pound can last several years.

Agree with Preacher as far as figuring it for hunting only. A lb will last a LONG time. I'd have trouble paying those prices though with any amount of shooting. I just picked up a lb of IMR 4350 last week here locally and total price out the door was $28.50. That's about average.

Yeah its high at this store. Supply and demand I guess. Usually check couple others when I'm close to them. Dan.

My LGS told me yesterday they will be receiving a shipment on Tuesday, 16 one pounders and 2 eight pounders. $28 and $200 respectively. Maybe what Alliant told me in their email has come to fruition.

Ron

Well, I figured it out, if I don't spill any, I have components for 175 rds of R26/160PT. If I only use 10rds a year, that gives me another 17yrs or so of elk ammo! ha. I'll only be 83, heck, maybe I'll have the barrel shot out by then! :)

Back