What is a good and cheap 357 bullet for a 1894 marlin

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I'm looking for a good bullet for a 357 rifle, Anyone have a source. I saw midway has a bulk pack of speer 158 JHP bullets anyone use these?

I have some Berry’s plated but mostly shoot hard cast from Colorado Cast Bullet.

It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is hunting hogs and deer inside 100 yards I would suggest either a Hornady 158 or 180 XTP. If it is just plinking then any 158 hard cast or plated bullet, not swaged, should do. For a Jacketed bullet that is cheep the Speer 158 HP is a good one and it will do in a pinch as a hunting bullet for hogs and deer but the Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot bullets are MUCH BETTER. I have killed quite a few deer with the 357 Mag in revolver and TC Contender pistol which gets about as much velocity as a rifle does. I really like the 180 XTP in the Contender. I have used 2400 and H110/W296 for full house loads with great accuracy with all bullet weights.

158 Speer JSP was always the go to bullet in dads 1894

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Shot":ll2512gk said:
It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is hunting hogs and deer inside 100 yards I would suggest either a Hornady 158 or 180 XTP. If it is just plinking then any 158 hard cast or plated bullet, not swaged, should do. For a Jacketed bullet that is cheep the Speer 158 HP is a good one and it will do in a pinch as a hunting bullet for hogs and deer but the Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot bullets are MUCH BETTER. I have killed quite a few deer with the 357 Mag in revolver and TC Contender pistol which gets about as much velocity as a rifle does. I really like the 180 XTP in the Contender. I have used 2400 and H110/W296 for full house loads with great accuracy with all bullet weights.

Just so I am clear; are you saying the XTP will work at both revolver and rifle velocities? If so, that would make an excellent and very flexible load.

I used a lot of XTPs years ago. I shot the .44 cal 240 XTP in a muzzleloader sabot, back in the 90s with 110gr Pyrodex. Piled up a buck at 150yds drt! It exited too. Back in 2007, I loaded the 250XTP in a Mod 1894CB carbine 45 Colt. another nice Muley at 75yds, again, drt. But this bullet hit the spine and fragmented. No biggy. I like hard cast FN GC bullets too. Try some corbon or Buffalo Bore in 180-200 and see how your rifle likes them. I used Cast performance and Leadheads PB bullets a lot back then too. Beartooth makes a 160 you can use in either handgun or rifle. I used it in a 38 special for varmints.

Yes the XTP will work in both rifle and pistol but the Speer Gold Dot will do even better because it is a bonded bullet that holds together but that expands quickly and to a larger diameter than the XTP and the segmented jacket of the nose peels back but leaves the sharp tip edges about like the old Black Talon ammo used to do. The XTP expands quickly but it does not expand as much as the Gold Dot does. The XTP expands with the jacket nose segmented parts folding back to about the crimping groove and the lead in the nose area flattens out and then the bullet acts like a big flat nose bullet that penetrates. The XTP is a cheaper bullet than the Gold Dot. If you are going to be using the 158 gr bullets at the higher rifle velocity the Hornady 158 gr Jacketed Soft Point is a bit tougher bullet and may fit your needs better.

Back