Which bullet?

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
Curious question for the 35 whelen guys. Right now I'm running a 225 AccuBond in my whelen for elk at close range hunting, 20 to 100 yards max. What bullet would use for this hunting situation other than the 225 AccuBond If any?

Bill

The Partition is never a bad choice. I've also run 225 grain TSX and 225 grain Sierras with good results.

I have had good luck with the AB but no close range shots. My go to bullet has always been the PT, with which I have taken several elk under 100 hundred yards. If you are concerned about the AB use the 250 PT, you can't go wrong.

I would have no issues running the 225 gr AB at close range on elk. Under the 35 cal bullet testing section you'll see one recovered from a young bull moose I shot a number of years ago at under 50 yards. Almost any 35 cal bullet from 225 gr up will work well and even a few 200's like the TTSX and AccuBond will suffice. If you want something different the Woodleigh bullets in 225 or 250 gr would also be an excellent choice. Protected point or Round Nose both designs are great.

I have no concern using the 225 AccuBond at close range for elk, was just curious what others would use at these ranges.

I use the 200 TSX only because my 7600 shoots them under MOA and it is all I had on hand.

I’d use them with nary a thought Bill.. honestly I just shoot whatever shoots best in my rifle.

I've shot six elk with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX over 60.4 Gr. of Re15., veloccity 2710 FPS at the muzzle. Six shots and six dead elk. Shots ranged from 75 yards on my elk last year to my longest at 350 yards. Two elk dropped DRT, one collapsed at the rear end like it was sitting down, then folded. (350 yard shot) The rest required finishing shots but what amazed me was the elk were so traumatized that they were totally unable to get up to get away. Accuracy off the bench with my rifle runs from .50" to maybe .80" depending on how well I'm shooting on a particular day.

I have a full box of 225 gr. Partitions and Accubonds sitting on the shelf. I have not even tried them in my custom Mauser. I may try and see how they work out in Remington M700 Classic I have. The Partition and AccuBond bullets are good ones so use whichever one works best in your rifle. JMHO, but I think the 225 gr. bullet brings out the best from the Whelen. If you can safely reach 2700 FPS or even if you have to hold back to 2600 FPS, you'll have about the same trajectory as the 180 gr. 30-06 factory load. That's not a bad place to be.
Paul B.

220 gr Speer Hot Cor would also work well, along with all others already mentioned...
Hard to go wrong with your AB!

I have only used 225gr. ABs in my Whelen and I have taken a number of Elk out 500 yards. I have been fortunate to acquire a very good supply of these bullets :wink: from a Doctor that I know (y).
I do know a young fellow from southern BC that has started to use the 225gr Sierra bullets over top of Varget and he states for his custom built they are absolutely perfect.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. I went out today and shot some 250 hot cores at 100 yards. 1 3 shot group went .652, 54 gr imr 4064 and another .677 with 55 gr imr4064. I've used AccuBond in different calibers to take several bulls but I've never used Speer bullets so maybe I'll roll with them this elk season.

I've used the older Barnes 250X and 200x for Plains Game from a 35 WAI. The only cup n core I hunted with was the Woodleigh 310sn.
I later shot some 200 TTSX, just took another .5gr to equal older 200X. The 250X I had going 2550-2600. The 310 I got 2420fps. My old rifle also shot the Hornady 250rn, Speer 250 HC and Speer 180FN very well.

Back