Lee Dies

otter25

Beginner
May 22, 2012
Just got a Marlin 444 and need to get dies. Are the Lee dies good, they're cheaper but how about quality.

Crap. The so called locking rings are not locking. By the time you get real locking rings they are not the bargain you thought. Also I have had terrible experiences trying to get lee to warranty items they claim have a lifetime warranty. It was cheaper and easier to just buy new items. Get RCBS, Hornady or Redding, Lyman. All are better!

I've used Lee dies for several years, and they've worked very for me.
I use the pistol carbide dies mostly, and I can say I can make my own ammo, and make it more accurate than factory.
For me, Lee dies have been well worth the investment.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I use mostly Lee and RCBS. I have Lee for 4 different cartridges, and depending on what I'm doing I prefer using the Lee dies. They're cheaper only in price in my opinion. Biggest gripe I have about them is not having a removable de-capping pin.

I have been using the Lee Factory Crimp Die for my .357 Sig and can honestly say it is one of my better investments!

I’ve used Lee and RCBS equally over the past 25 years both with good results, having said that the Lee locking ring is an issue but a simple $5.00 or so fix is available with an additional locking ring. Now RCBS dies have a different type of ring for the dies; set screw against the threads of the die. Hornady and others have their own variant. Now for value you cannot beat Lee and support from Lyman with so far I had. It mentioned is outstanding when compared to Lee. IMHO. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used about everyone's dies over the past 40 years and the Lee have been just as good as any of them. Some have a little better this or that but for basic get the job done Lee is as good as any. I don't like the locking ring of the Lee either for the simple reason that you can not set up the dies one time and lock the ring so you can just screw it in and not have to adjust it the next time you use it. As has been said you can use different make set screw locking rings on the Lee dies if you don't want to have to reset you dies. If you are loading for a leaver action marlin 444 and plan on using the same bullet just make you up a dummy round or keep one round to use to set up your seating die with to get you C.O.A.L and crimp. I suggest that for best results you do all your seating in one operation then readjust the die for the crimping process. You should full length size all your cases so the die is set up by simply raising the ram with the shell holder installed and screw the sizing die down to touch the shell holder. Have fun, the 444 is a hammer.

fremont":2stt6sit said:
Not the Lee thing again. I've used them for 20+ years with great results. Terrific value IMHO
me too

Everyone has personal opinions. I personally like RCBS and Hornady. I personally dont like LEE reloading products as a whole. Their stuff has a cheap flimsy feel to it and it dont stack up compared to Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redden. Again, personal opinons are what they are.

If you buy Hornady you can get a free box of bullets with their mail in rebate.

Buy what you like whatever you can afford.

I like them. Redding / Forster are my favourites but for the money Lee are fantastic.

As to the locking nut issue, I check my depth settings every time I load a batch so I see no issue. But that’s just me.

My favorite dies are Redding and Forster but also use RCBS, LEE, CH, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady and Herters. I don't really have an issue with any of them. One set of Hornady did cause problems because of being mismarked (sizing die was marked 7mm Remington Mag and was actually 7mm x 57). My main loading press is a Forster Co-Ax so lock rings are always an issue. The LEE work well in my Dillon press with their factory rings and no problem.

I've mentioned Lee dies to some people already and get an immediate scoff or snicker, and the remark of JUNK. They can't be that junk, this group was shot with a load that start to finish I put together with Lee dies. And it continued to impress on subsequent tests using the same setup. I'll take that kind of junk at their prices, all day long.

I’ve loaded plenty of ammo for different hunting rifles and find Lee products work fine. That being said, I’m not a real long range marksman and am happy getting my hunting rifles shooting a 1” group at 100 yards.
For my 444 Marlin, I don’t expect to be shooting much over 150 yards max so I don’t think they’d all have to go in one hole to use effectively as a hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Lee die I really like is their universal decapper. There are times I want to just knock out primers and polish up before running dirty brass through a sizer. Perfect for that!

I have used nothing but RCBS and Lee dies for about 20yrs. but, mostly RCBS. I've never had a problem with Lee's dies. The first thing I do is swap out their non-locking ring with an RCBS locking ring and no problem. When I first started reloading it was on the .45-70 and since the manual I was given was an RCBS that's who's equipment I bought. Except I went cheap on the powder measure. I bought Lee's "Not-so Perfect Powder Measure" and the Reloader7 that I used in the .45-70 ate that thing up. A plastic drum and stick powder is not a good combination. That kind of did me in on anything of theirs in plastic. I do love their aluminum bullet molds.

C.S.

Back