30-06 straightforward hunting ammo

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Getting right out there on the cutting edge again with my hunting ammo prep... :grin:

H10CnTll.jpg

Exotic, hard to deal with 30-06 cartridge cases from some upstart company.

Exotic, barely proven bullet from that same company. Seems to weigh about 165 grains and has some kind of odd construction. A wall or Partition or something in the middle. Weird. Leaves lead exposed at both ends of the bullet. Likely a health hazard, but I'll deal with it.

Primers from some outfit in Lewiston, Idaho. CCI or something? I dunno. Hope they know what they're doing. Good primers are kinda important I think.

Gunpowder? Hmm... Probably try some of that H4350 stuff. It's brand new and I've never used it before, especially not in the 30-06... :wink:

Yup - it's hard being out here on the edge - pushing the envelope like this... :mrgreen:

Crud - I wonder if a 30-06 with a 165 gr Nosler will even work on game animals? Yikes!

Guy

If I remember correctly some wild fella once said that a 30-06 with 165 grain pills were good medicine to most animals in the lower 48.. Does that ring a bell? :grin: :grin:

Hoping that my recollection is true as I have some strangely similar components in my inventory waiting to be assembled into elk and mule deer medicine.. Am in the early stages of load development with my rebuilt "Rem-Hart" 30-06 from R.W. Hart and Son in PA. So far it looks promising, but life and summer weather had slowed the development process.

Thanks for your post Guy, it gave me a good chuckle :lol:

Primers from some outfit in Lewiston, Idaho. CCI or something? I dunno. Hope they know what they're doing. Good primers are kinda important

Guy

I suggest that you get 200 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nashtims":2dk7xof0 said:
Primers from some outfit in Lewiston, Idaho. CCI or something? I dunno. Hope they know what they're doing. Good primers are kinda important

Guy

I suggest that you get 200 of them.

:mrgreen: I almost used that line...

Guy

"Crud - I wonder if a 30-06 with a 165 gr Nosler will even work on game animals? Yikes!"

They will. I used the 165 gr. AccuBond on a cow elk and she went maybe 30 yards and died. (y) Quartering shot with the bullet hitting in the short ribs and ending up in what was left of the left lung. We never found the bullet which I believe was buried in the mess that was once the left lung. The elk did require a finisher but probably wouldn't have lasted another five minutes.

I got a deal getting almost 400 165 gr. Partition blems from a private party so just may run a set with Re17. I've been hearing some might good comments on that powder in the 30-06 and it shows promise in the 7x57 as well.
Paul B.

Thanks all, I just laugh at myself a bit, seems I don't often mess with the newest, latest, most super-duper cartridge, bullet, powder etc... Mostly just stick to some real basic, well proven combos.

I swear, I remember loading 165's over IMR 4350, back in the 1970's... They shot well then, and I haven't strayed much from that formula for the 30-06, not often. Have been using H4350 for a long time, but I'd use the IMR version again with no regrets.

I could probably say the same about most of my handloads for other cartridges as well. I don't try new stuff very often, not when I've got something that has worked time after time for me.

Regards, Guy

There is no end to fads but true classics endure forever. The .30-06 cartridge flinging 165 grain Partitions is a great combo. I myself prefer the IMR 4350 but I know there are many great powders out there for such use.

I would put that combo up against anything in the U.S. or Canada given the right conditions. Yes even bears! I took my best buck and a cow elk with that very combo last year here in Oregon!

Funny Guy. I used to use them 165 PTs until for some reason I thought 150 would be better. The end result has been the same, DRT. Waiting for your pictures. Good Hunting, Dan.

Back