Hawk Bullets

I've used them in a variety of cartridges, but always felt there were better options at a more reasonable price.

One thing they excel at- making bullets for obscure bore diameters.

DrMike":1w6b5din said:
I've used them in a variety of cartridges, but always felt there were better options at a more reasonable price.

other then price.... how about performance? That's what I mainy concerned about.

The core pops out of the jacket like any other cup and core bullet....

Certain FN's and RN's don't load well in my Rem 760 due to short freebore, and theirs are one of them. I have to swap them for their FN for RT's. The RT's have a more of a tapered nose and the ogive sets far enough back not be shoved too far in the case beyond SAMMI COAL, the FN's do.

I black bear hunt sometimes along a river and it's pretty thick along some parts....and like to stick with RN or FN. I would have got a 336 instead of the 760 knowing about chambering issues with the 760.

The .35 Speer FN load fine in the 760..I noticed in one post here when one guy shot them through a hemlock tree and they held up well but in another post the core separated from the jacket. I shot Speer HC's and the core popped out of the jacket. Speers take is as long as the animal dies what's the difference.

Have you considered the Nosler Partition in your 760?
I've used the 225 gr PT in the 35 Whelen to take several deer and a black bear, always got a nice exit wound.

JD338

You do not want to mess with them. Expensive, they lose jackets--sometimes in the barrel, no real performance to speak of and pressure signs with normal loads.

FOTIS":2o9ponzk said:
You do not want to mess with them. Expensive, they lose jackets--sometimes in the barrel, no real performance to speak of and pressure signs with normal loads.

They recommend 10% below start loads

Dr. Mike didn't mention any issues that you speak of....just the cost.

JD338":2718uy26 said:
Have you considered the Nosler Partition in your 760?
I've used the 225 gr PT in the 35 Whelen to take several deer and a black bear, always got a nice exit wound.

JD338

I have 225 that I could load, yes. Nosler says it needs minimum 1800 FPS to have proper expansion. I have a 35 Remington and will hunt with it in a tree stand and thick brush even still hunting. Longest shot would be 100 yards or so.

I have used them in my .280 Rem (they killed, but cost was prohibitive), my .30-06 (they shoot, but accuracy was not spectacular), my .356 (the Kodiak 250 grain and the Speer 220 grain were far superior in terminal performance and in accuracy), and in a couple of other rifles. I would accept that FOTIS' advice is spot on in this instance. To be sure, I never lost a jacket and I never lost an animal, but the primary problem was accuracy and cost. They didn't impress me as presenting consistency. Hodgeman has a good point in mentioning the availability of obscure calibres in Hawk bullets. I considered buying some for my 280 Ross, but found what I believe are better bullets from other sources.

Dr. Mike....

your last post supports my original question but accuracy isn’t of primary concern considering the kill.

Did you recover the bullet from game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly maybe try something along the lines of the Northfork 200's. They are fairly soft up front and will plow through anything you'd use a 35 Remington for. I haven't seen much from Hawk that makes me particularly fast on the trigger to buy more of them.

https://www.northforkbullets.com/magent ... 0-ss.html/

With a case for of LVR I don't see how you'd have much trouble getting them to 2200-2300 and you'd have a bullet that would work excellent. Expensive, but for what you are describing they seem like a great option.

I was looking into them but being a spitzer in the brush I’m not keen on

slickrem":1ea906n8 said:

I'd be sooooooo not worried about it to be honest. I think it's been proven a bunch that hitting any brush will deflect bullets. I'd rather have an ultra stabilized bullet with lotsa RPM's if I was hitting little stuff like twigs and such.. In other words, I'd pick a great bullet and thread the needle.

SJB358":251scouc said:
slickrem":251scouc said:

I'd be sooooooo not worried about it to be honest. I think it's been proven a bunch that hitting any brush will deflect bullets. I'd rather have an ultra stabilized bullet with lotsa RPM's if I was hitting little stuff like twigs and such.. In other words, I'd pick a great bullet and thread the needle.

the proof is in the pudding......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I

slickrem":3qftnys9 said:
SJB358":3qftnys9 said:
slickrem":3qftnys9 said:

the proof is in the pudding......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I

For sure buddy. Good luck with your search for the right bullet.

slickrem":azuyit17 said:
Probably the 200 RN Corelokt

That’s been the best in my 35 Remington for deer. Might even be a bullet test on here somewhere.

I’m sure it’ll work well there to.. I like that cheap Core Lokt. Great bullet in the 35.

For the 35 Remington, tough to beat the Remington 200 gr RNCL bullet. It's about as good as it gets.

JD338

Back