220 rnbt bt

carolina sorillo

Beginner
Jul 31, 2019
New here and my first post.

I recently traded for a Weatherby 300Win Mag. I ordered some 220gr rnbt Ballistic Tips thinking they'd be a good thumper for deer. While waiting for them to arrive I read up on them a little more. (should've done that first) that's when I realized they are a low velocity bullet. So, using lower end data for 3031 I found an accurate load that chrono'ed 2340fps. Which I see is on the upper end of the velocity range for this bullet. Now my questions are;
1 How violent will the expansion be at this speed?
2 Will there be enough penetration for reliable ethical kills on whitetails?
3 At this velocity would this bullet be better used on coyotes and groundhogs than deer?

Thanks for your time,
CS

I would try shooting one into some water jugs and see what kind of penetration and weight retention you get.
If you make it into the forth jug, you will have yourself a dandy deer bullet.

JD338

Interesting question. The 175 gr. 7MM bullet at a nominal speed of 2250 to 2300 FPS had a great reputation for deep penetration as did the 220 gr. bullet at 2000 to 2200 FPS from the 30-40 Krag. So did the 30-06 which in theory did 2400 FPS with a 220 gr. bullet. The late gun write Finn Aagaard did an article where he culled White tail Deer off the ranch he lived on using the 30-06 and 220 gr. bullets. I don't remember the velocity but it was around 2300-2400 FPS. He said meat damage was not bad and the deer died with mostly DRT or very short runs. I forget whether he was using Hornady or Sierra bullets but think it was the latter. Based on that I think you should be OK. Still, a water jug test wouldn't hurt and would relieve any doubts you might have.
Paul B.

Paul,
This bullet was designed for the 300 Blackout so the jacket is much thinner so it will expand at the lower speeds of the 300 Blackout.

JD338

JD338":3vqp277n said:
Paul,
This bullet was designed for the 300 Blackout so the jacket is much thinner so it will expand at the lower speeds of the 300 Blackout.

JD338

Yes, thanks JD. I guess I should have added that little tid bit. That is the reason for the questions.

CS

That bullet has confused a lot of people - folks who've never heard of a 300 Blackout and have no use for one. Guys like me! :)

When I think 220 grain 30 cal bullet, I'm thinking something that was designed for deep penetration on heavy game like big bears, elk in the timber, etc...

That's not what this 220 gr Ballistic Tip is all about. I do suspect that it will work okay on whitetail, but that's just a guess on my part.

Guy

I don't have a .30-30 anymore but this design in a .30-30 would be AWESOME!! I think a 140-165 round nose, boat tail, ballistic tip would be some good deer medicine, and flat shooting with that boat tail. Oh, and a 115-125 for varminting!!

CS

Just FYI, the recommended barrel twist rate for this bullet is 1:8 or faster. Many with slower twists have seen it start to keyhole at 50 yards. YMMV.

This is the bullet loaded in the Noveske line(except its Tacti Black and has a glow tip) only leaving a 16 in barrel at 1020 fps but Nosler data says you can get almost 1300.

carolina sorillo":ogac5mtf said:
I don't have a .30-30 anymore but this design in a .30-30 would be AWESOME!! I think a 140-165 round nose, boat tail, ballistic tip would be some good deer medicine, and flat shooting with that boat tail. Oh, and a 115-125 for varminting!!

CS

Well go get another 30-30, because... Nosler makes a 150 grain round nose, boat tail, ballistic tip! :grin:

Well, they coat it black and call it the "Ballistic Silvertip" bullet, but it's made by Nosler and is essentially a ballistic tip bullet for the 30-30 cartridge.

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":32dys6hx said:
Well go get another 30-30, because... Nosler makes a 150 grain round nose, boat tail, ballistic tip! :grin:

Well, they coat it black and call it the "Ballistic Silvertip" bullet, but it's made by Nosler and is essentially a ballistic tip bullet for the 30-30 cartridge.

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html

Regards, Guy

:shock: :oops: I didn't know that existed!! (y)

CS

Back