300WM and 150 TTSX (or Etip,etc) on elk?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I have never used the 150 in a 300 mag, usually it was the 180 XBT, and that was 20 yrs ago! I have a friend in Texas who just got a Sendero 700 in 300WM and he asked me about the 150 TTSX ( or any mono) for a combination deer and elk bullet? he doesn't like recoil as he mostly bow hunts. He is not a long range hunter either, figure 400yds would be an extreme shot for him ( as it is for me too!) Anyhow, as a combo deer/cow elk ( he won't be packing that sendero for big bulls, he and his brother are like me, hayfields are a dream! :) Any opinions welcome.

Shoot Jim, I’d say all day long. Those monos cranked out fast. That’s where they make their money. Weight retention and penetration are never a danged problem. I’d bet they work super and you’d be hard pressed to catch one, even in a big bull. Not the same same, but if I’d use a 270 with a 150, I’d use a 300 with a 150 to 400 yards.

I myself like the "stretched string" flat shooters out that far, as a purely "point and shoot" kind of guy. My longest shots on game are all right at 375yds, with a handful around 350. To me, that's a long way from a field position. I have missed more game "overshooting" than under. I got rid of a nice 300 RUM all tweaked out with a big scope, Leupold 4.5x14 could dial out to 900yds, but realized "I just don't hunt that way", it never appealed to me. None of my buddies do either, so that's why I always think of flat trajectory. I bet the 130TTSX 300mags are pure poison on mule deer! :)

preacher":f2co3snb said:
I myself like the "stretched string" flat shooters out that far, as a purely "point and shoot" kind of guy. My longest shots on game are all right at 375yds, with a handful around 350. To me, that's a long way from a field position. I have missed more game "overshooting" than under. I got rid of a nice 300 RUM all tweaked out with a big scope, Leupold 4.5x14 could dial out to 900yds, but realized "I just don't hunt that way", it never appealed to me. None of my buddies do either, so that's why I always think of flat trajectory. I bet the 130TTSX 300mags are pure poison on mule deer! :)

For sure Jim. A 130 out of a 300 wouldn’t be undergunned by any stretch for elk in my opinion.

The 150gr TTSX should work quite well.
Here is some data I worked up. Chrono 20' from muzzle Ruger Tang safety M77 rifle

Attachments

• 150TTSX 1.JPG
    150TTSX 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 436
  • 300 loads used 2015.JPG
    300 loads used 2015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 436
Thanks Driven- I'll have to try some of those later on. I think I have talked myself into getting another 300WM, ha. I just traded off a nice 338WM, but I'm thinking I might "need" to treat myself to that CA Mesa I've been drooling over for a couple years...a 6.5#, braked 300WM with a 150...should be a sweetheart to hunt/shoot with. :)

Correction; I did use a 150/300WM one hunt. It was in Texas Hill country and I bought some Federal Blue Box with 150 Sierra Pro Hunter ( said on the box) I was trying out my first 300WM ( Mod 700 BDL SS) and I figured the 150 would stay inside those small deer. Wrong. It acted just like Partitions! Nice 50 cent pc exit hole, usually it syphoned out about half their lungs, etc! Big wad hanging out the off side! No bloodshot meat either. It was impressive.

Back