Range day with M70

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Got out to the range with my new to me M70 EW in .270 Win and looking very promising!

u8noJHB.jpg

bCWTpod.jpg

Z7MKi5u.jpg

0mudBJK.jpg

CGIH6KJ.jpg

2mJk4V9.jpg

fezrTV0.jpg

You can’t beat that 59gr AccuBond load! I get those groups with 57gr of IMR 4831 from my TC Venture with the same bullet in 270 Win. Max loads of IMR 4831 run about 2gr less than H4831 in my rifle. I’m getting 3128 fps from a 24” barrel with the IMR powder, and the rifle likes it a little better.

Great shooting!

Yes, it sure likes the AccuBond. I am heading out again and this time will run the load over the chrono. Mine has a 22" barrel, so might be around 3050 or so.

boomer68":qqbcxp4d said:
Yes, it sure likes the AccuBond. I am heading out again and this time will run the load over the chrono. Mine has a 22" barrel, so might be around 3050 or so.

Plenty fast. That will ruin anythings day that you could come across. Very nice rifle BTW.

Joe

The AccuBond and the BT loads look very promising. Do you have any IMR4831 to try?
My Remington 700 likes IMR 4831 a little better than the Hodgdon 4831.
I would also encourage you to give RL22 a shot down the road.

Those loads with the 130 BT and AB with 57 grains look very good. I had very good terminal performance with the 130 AB on a deer. Congratulations.

Dan

Thanks guys. I really like this rifle, especially the trigger. Never used the AB on game yet, so looking forward to the season for hopefully a successful result. I did try RL22 with the Hornady BTSP. Shot not too bad, but nowhere near the BT or AB.

boomer68, I have been loading 130gr. ABs for my 270win in the CDL for many years now and it has always given me that kinda accuracy and with the 24" I was just over 3050fps. The terminal performance from Antelope to Moose was great as well (y).
I was more than fortunate because for over 25 years I never lost a animal that I shot with the 270win.
Model 70 is a excellent rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

That's the kind of first trip out with a rifle that'l put a grin on your face. Nice shooting and rifle.

sask boy":1mqprqtk said:
boomer68, I have been loading 130gr. ABs for my 270win in the CDL for many years now and it has always given me that kinda accuracy and with the 24" I was just over 3050fps. The terminal performance from Antelope to Moose was great as well (y).
I was more than fortunate because for over 25 years I never lost a animal that I shot with the 270win.
Model 70 is a excellent rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I have only used BT on deer so this will be my first time with AB. Hoping to get a chance at elk as well this season, so feel more confident with the bonded bullet.

I have owned quite a few rifles, and must say the M70 sure feeds nice and smooth.

Ian

Got out to the range and this time took the chrono.

130gr AB
59grs H4831sc
R-P case
WLR primer
3.320" OAL

I know I screwed up the second group. Pulled the shot.

Fired six rounds over the chrono in the following order:

3110 < cold bore

Yo8lili.jpg

P1FBVLZ.jpg

Back