Bullet weight 260 rem lead free?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
As written in the rifle section, I am considering to rebarrel a rifle to 260 rem.
Since I have to use lead-free bullets - which weight do you suggest? The case is rather short, so I guess 100-120 for Barnes, Lehigh etc would be the right range?
Thanks,
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I should imagine that you are correct in your assessment concerning bullet weights. Based on my own experience in several cartridges, I would definitely give the 120 grain E-Tip serious consideration. Performance of that bullet on moose and mule deer from the 270 WSM is a definite confidence builder.

I have used the 130 gr TSX in my old 264 Win Mag with excellent results but these days I would be looking at the tipped 120 gr from Barnes and Nosler. For smaller big game even the 100 gr bullet would work well at 260 Rem speeds. I have some 120 gr TTSX for my 260 Rem to try when I get a chance to experiment again with loads.

Monolithics require impact speed to expand, so something in the 100-120gr range makes the most sense.

hodgeman":1yg4sux0 said:
Monolithics require impact speed to expand, so something in the 100-120gr range makes the most sense.
Glad someone mentioned this !!!

Quickload says I will be around 2300 fps @300m so I think it will be ok

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I would go 100gr if available. The faster, the better IMO because with copper bullets you're going to have plenty of penetration already. Expansion is of more concern to me anyways.

If your rebarreling and reloading why not the 260ai and the 120 e tip or 127 lrx. Worth a looksee

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

desertcj":pyv9f10d said:
I would go 100gr if available. The faster, the better IMO because with copper bullets you're going to have plenty of penetration already. Expansion is of more concern to me anyways.
Absolutely agree this the WTG!

Back