Added another Lever Action to my Stable

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello all!

I wanted to report that the Lever Action "bug" has bitten me, yet again.

First, I have to tell you that it has probably been at least 10-11 years since I've owned a lever action .30-30. Just like Guy, I had kept some brass, primers, reloading dies, shell holder, and some handloaded 170 gr Winchester flat points.

My "new" rifle is a Remlin Marlin 336W in .30-30!
So now, I have a total of 3 lever action rifles.

Top rifle - Marlin 336W .30-30
Middle Rifle - Marlin 444 .444 Marlin
Bottom rifle - Savage 99 .300 Savage
867cc0581a61c25a8ad5b1afc70310bd.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Nice collection of lever action rifles.
They are addictive!

JD338

It’s an easy bug to catch. I currently only have two leverguns, both are Savage 99s. But I would love a punkin chunker of some sorts someday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD338":1eglz0cf said:
Nice collection of lever action rifles.
They are addictive!

JD338
Thank you!
It's a toss up for me right now as to which one I like the most, the Savage 99, or the Marlin 444.
I've been a die-hard Savage 99 man for so long, but I'm loving the Marlin 444 big bore!

filmjunkie4ever":22rem076 said:
It’s an easy bug to catch. I currently only have two leverguns, both are Savage 99s. But I would love a punkin chunker of some sorts someday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can honestly say I've had the lever action bug since my dad helped me shoot his original 1873 Winchester carbine when I was 5 years old. I just wasn't able to have as many as I do now due to financial restraints.
Plus, my addiction was fueled by watching re-runs of the Rifleman with Chuck Connors, and watching the intro where he shoots off 8 rounds in less than 2 seconds.
Then, one night on a Friday night, after my dad got done working, and he got home, one of his favorite movies came on, Winchester '73, starring Jimmy Stewart, and I stayed up and watched it with him. I didn't remember anything about that movie, except it had a Winchester 1873 lever action rifle in it. To me it was almost like a religious experience. I was mesmerized, and awestruck!
Now, to clarify, I was 5 in 1973, and it wasn't too long after that I saw Winchester '73 after my dad got done working a 3pm - 11 PM shift.
You know, I'm glad things have worked out the way they have now. I wouldn't trade anything now for having to wait for as long as I have, because it makes me appreciate them just that much more.
My addiction has always been there, just delayed.
I would highly suggest getting a Big Bore Marlin. There's nothing like them!

gerry":15xeh3fw said:
Boy, you got it bad [emoji38] Congrats on another great rifle 8)
Thank you Gerry! I appreciate it.
I think I was born 115 years too late!
I love Westerns, and I love lever action rifles!
The Westerns I saw as a kid on TV fueled my imagination, and fueled my interest in the Old West Gunfighters.
Plus, I'm glad that a part of Americana is still around, and I'm able to shoot them.

HAWKEYESATX":1n4rmn4d said:
gerry":1n4rmn4d said:
The Westerns I saw as a kid on TV fueled my imagination, and fueled my interest in the Old West Gunfighters.
Plus, I'm glad that a part of Americana is still around, and I'm able to shoot them.

I hear you on all counts, love the lever guns as well. Currently only have one a Browning BLR 358 Win that I really like but want to add a couple more such as a Henry or Marlin in 357 and 41 Magnum. Bet you have a ton of fun with that little 30-30.

If you haven't done so already check out North61 on Youtube, he is a big lever gun guy too and has a lot of interesting information that I'm sure you will like.

gerry":35gvyi89 said:
If you haven't done so already check out North61 on Youtube, he is a big lever gun guy too and has a lot of interesting information that I'm sure you will like.
I certainly will check him out! Thank you for the heads up!
Yeah, I'm thinking I will have tons of fun the .30-30 too!

gerry":78t5zmfq said:
HAWKEYESATX":78t5zmfq said:
gerry":78t5zmfq said:

I hear you on all counts, love the lever guns as well. Currently only have one a Browning BLR 358 Win that I really like but want to add a couple more such as a Henry or Marlin in 357 and 41 Magnum. Bet you have a ton of fun with that little 30-30.
Eventually, I think I will get around to a Browning BLR. Not quite sure which calibers, but they are peaking my interest too.

Levers rock! Great to carry, fun to shoot and a joy to hunt with!
Have quite a few. Marlins, Winchesters, and Brownings. 7mm-08, 284 Win, 307 Win, 338 Federal, 348 Win, 35 Rem, 356 Win, 358 Win, 375 Win and 41 Rem Mag.
Highly recommend the BLR in 358Win! Have a pre-81 that has seen a lot of use in the field and has taken its fair share of game. Actually once owned the BLR that Gerry has now. A very accurate rifle! Glad to see it in the hands of a hunter/shooter that appreciates it!
Would love to find a BLR in 257 Roberts. Need another 94 Big Bore in 375 Win. And another Browning Model 65 in 218 Bee.

Cool!

The 30-30 is a fun and useful cartridge, and well, I'm kinda stuck on Marlins. :)

Guy

Blkram":1hl8hgff said:
Levers rock! Great to carry, fun to shoot and a joy to hunt with!
Have quite a few. Marlins, Winchesters, and Brownings. 7mm-08, 284 Win, 307 Win, 338 Federal, 348 Win, 35 Rem, 356 Win, 358 Win, 375 Win and 41 Rem Mag.
Highly recommend the BLR in 358Win! Have a pre-81 that has seen a lot of use in the field and has taken its fair share of game. Actually once owned the BLR that Gerry has now. A very accurate rifle! Glad to see it in the hands of a hunter/shooter that appreciates it!
Would love to find a BLR in 257 Roberts. Need another 94 Big Bore in 375 Win. And another Browning Model 65 in 218 Bee.
Yes, I whole heartedly agree!
Not sure which caliber would fit my needs the most in a BLR. I know they make a long action one as well, or had made.
Ah, but just dreaming of one....

Guy Miner":222eb5ll said:
Cool!

The 30-30 is a fun and useful cartridge, and well, I'm kinda stuck on Marlins. :)

Guy
Yes, I get how you feel about the Marlins!
Can't get any more of a classic cartridge than the .30-30, mated with a classic rifle like the Marlin 336.
The .30-30 is the quintessential deer cartridge, no doubt. Plus it will take other game as well. I've heard it does nicely on wild pigs as well.
What kind of game have you, and your son taken with yours, Guy?

Another lever action found its way home today!
My late uncle had my father's 22 , and I got it from my aunt this evening; a Winchester 9422 Trapper with the checkered stock. Still in very nice shape, and still has its front sight hood.
This rifle had been stored in my gunsafe for several years until my father took it hunting in the fall of 2016, before he passed in 2017. He had given it my uncle (his younger brother) after their hunt.
Glad to have it back in my safe. Will have to take it out this fall!

Blkram":iicyn9kn said:
Another lever action found its way home today!
My late uncle had my father's 22 , and I got it from my aunt this evening; a Winchester 9422 Trapper with the checkered stock. Still in very nice shape, and still has its front sight hood.
This rifle had been stored in my gunsafe for several years until my father took it hunting in the fall of 2016, before he passed in 2017. He had given it my uncle (his younger brother) after their hunt.
Glad to have it back in my safe. Will have to take it out this fall!
Congratulations on getting the 9422!
It's always nice to have memories of something passed down from your dad, or uncle.

Found another 94 Big Bore in 375 Win (early model non-AE) and a few more boxes of Hdy 220 gr FP's!
If the new to me 94 likes the 200gr Sierra's I'll use them in it, as I have some HSM ammo loaded with the Sierra's, as well, as a few boxes of bullets for reloading.
Then I'll save the Hdy's for the Marlin as I know it shoots them well. 32.2 gr of IMR4198 produces 1" groups in that rifle at 100 yards with a fixed 2x Leupold heavy duplex scope mounted in QR rings and bases.
Will take it with me next weekend when I go north to where I got the caribou last year. Will be packing the 9.3x62 for moose or buffalo (need to break it in on game!), but if I get a chance at a bear or another caribou at close range, I will use the Marlin! Assuming Susan has gotten her bear first! LOL

Back