.300 Win mag Hornady 110 vmax ( accuracy load anyone?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I also bought a box of these for this 300WM. I am not going to try to run them out to the book max of 3700fps though. I am asking to see if anyone has noticed/chosen any powder/load that seemed to give the best accuracy, say, from 3200 to 3500? I figure, hey, I shot the 240W & 257WM and 338 RUM all to 3500, so why not? Of course, I am still in awe of how flat the old SA 6.5/284/120nbt shot at 3200! Again, I just want to demolish coyotes/varmints w/o a ricochet harming John Dutton's Prize Bull! ( I used to say Farmer Dan, but this IS the West and since John Dutton ( Yellowstone) is the NEW J.R. Ewing...hey, he might be taking over this part of Utah!, I gotta be careful!!! :)

LOL!

I shot a few varmints with a 300 Win Mag back in the 1980's. Was trying to burn through some 150 grain Winchester factory ammo. Whoo-Wee! Did that do a number on ground squirrels. :)

No - sorry - never loaded 110's from a 300 magnum, but it sounds like fun.

At 3700 fps, I wonder if the bullet would even hold together in flight?

Guy

Hornady claims it will, but that can't be "good" on my new barrel! ha I have to get some trigger time in soon or I'm going to get pretty squirrely!

Take a look at Hodgdons on line data for 300 WM with 110 gr bullet. They list H4895 so if you ve got any of that I d suggest trying it. Per Hodgdon you can go as low as 60% of their max load with H4895. I would NOT down load that big case with any other powder personally.

I ve done the 60% loading of H4895 with a couple different calibers and it's a sweet deal. I found that around 70-75% of max load I would obtain great accuracy ; under 1 MOA. If you want more velocity than that provides just gradually increase your charge.

Keep us posted, I have a 300 WM that I don't shoot much so you might give me ideas !!

preacher":7gepwfgj said:
I also bought a box of these for this 300WM. I am not going to try to run them out to the book max of 3700fps though. I am asking to see if anyone has noticed/chosen any powder/load that seemed to give the best accuracy, say, from 3200 to 3500? I figure, hey, I shot the 240W & 257WM and 338 RUM all to 3500, so why not? Of course, I am still in awe of how flat the old SA 6.5/284/120nbt shot at 3200! Again, I just want to demolish coyotes/varmints w/o a ricochet harming John Dutton's Prize Bull! ( I used to say Farmer Dan, but this IS the West and since John Dutton ( Yellowstone) is the NEW J.R. Ewing...hey, he might be taking over this part of Utah!, I gotta be careful!!! :)
> look at H4350 or IMR 4064 for accuracy and less fouling.

Will do Pard, thanks! I figure at first I'm going to start with the first 3 powders Hornady suggests...Varget, 4064, R15 all from 56-58gr should be around 3300+. They start lower but I'm really after 3300-3500, I think that will suffice. :)

Finally got to the range today. Shot a box of Federal 150 factory, adjusting scope, cleaning a bit. Then set in to try these 110s. I was using new Sig Sauer brass, which is very well made. I ran them through the FL die, just off the shoulder, trimmed all to length and deburred the flash holes. I used Winchester magnum primers. First load was 67gr Varget, first 3 rounds almost touching and the 4th opened up a bit. Very accurate and mild recoil. Book says about 3300fps, but who knows, wasn't clocking them, too many shooters. The next load up was my favorite, IMR 4064 65grs. 4 rds just wadded up, big ragged hole. Mild recoil. Then the surprise was 67gr R15. First 2 were about .75:, then the 3rd one smoked the case, didn't obturate much! I decided to pull the 4th round. Choice was 4064.

I then had two loads to try with the 150 SST. I was trying for around 2800fps, .308 speeds. 4rds of Varget 57gr went into a 1 1/2" square. usable, abd in the same zero as the 110s ( +2"/100) The next one was the berries! IMR 4320 58gr 4rds into less than 3/4", and perfectly zeroed with the 110 loads! Happy boy! This will be a "normal" deer/all around load ( along with the 110vmax for varmints/predators). My next project will be Jagemann brass and the Nosler 150 Partition around 3300+ for a more "serious" beanfield type load. Then last, I will get to my Barnes 150 TTSX, also in the Jagemann, which is really nicely made, reminds me of Norma/lapua, etc. the Sig was "almost" as nice though! So far, this Mesa has been a real sweetheart. It is sporter weight, with the Vortex Razor HD 1.5x8 on it.

I shoot a Falkor Petra 300WM with a dracos carbon fiber rigid composite barrel. I load these with 76gr of IMR4350 in norma brass with federal match large magnum rifle primers. Trim to length 2.610 and seated at 3.360. Mine clock about 3400 on average and shoot just under 1/4 MOA. Hope you have fun with it!! It sure does a number on everything I’ve shot including pigs and coyotes. Lol

Back