Cup n Core 7mm - 175 grain

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Being a .30 cal man I’m pretty new to the 7mms personally. I’ve loaded for others in 7x57, .284, .280, 7 Rem and 7 STW but never for myself.

I built a simpler 7mm Rem Mag (Savage 110, Shaw barrel) this last year and though I’m sure to catch hell for this I’m wanting for now to shoot 175 grain Hornady SP or Speer Mag-Tips. Anyone have any experience with either that they would care to share?

I’m not planning to take this for Grizzly Bears or Buffalo, merely deer and occasional elk or black bear. I’m an ardent fan of premium bullets, especially the Partition and AccuBond. But this rifle for now is going to be fed the cup n cores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted with a 7RM for over two decades. Actually my 1st buck was shot with the 7RM and factory 175's. I was not impressed.

Just my $0.02, but I think you'll be far better off with a 150, or a 160 gr.

I used 162 gr Solid Bases for as long as they were available. GREAT bullet. Then switched to the 150 gr Ballistic Tips at about 3000 fps. Zero complaints. Put a truck load of venison in the freezer.

Think about this. Find a good load with the 150 BT for your deer hunting, and then simply switch over to the AccuBond for your elk & bear.

Using 175 gr cup and core bullets are very common here even on moose and bear so you will be fine. Both the Hornady and Mag Tip are some of the better 175's anyway.

I have a "7mag" as well and I really like it, however...I have a few stories about a buddy that hunted with one using standard cup/core bullets and I was personally involved in the recovery of two wounded black bears and a nice 4x4 black tail deer. Pretty sure he was shooting 150gr core locks and all the shots were around 100yds. He was shoulder shooting them and the high velocity and close range was not a good recipe. Change the recipe to behind the shoulder shots at longer distances or lower velocity with the 175s your planning on and you will probably have better results. Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to shoot those particular bullets?

gerry":cms2ah8t said:
Using 175 gr cup and core bullets are very common here even on moose and bear so you will be fine. Both the Hornady and Mag Tip are some of the better 175's anyway.
this

Might also consider Sierra 175 GK. According to Sierra it was developed with a high BC in mind and also for max velocity in 7 RM and 7 Bee. I believe it's got a thicker jacket than their lighter weight 7 mm offerings.

I've used the Speer Mag-Tip to harvest black bear (up to six foot) and several moose and elk from my 7RM. All those animals expired rather quickly and without incident. You should be good. As mentioned, the 175 grain Sierra Game King or even the Speer Hot Cor will work equally well for about anything you might wish to hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle a mountain grizzly with that bullet from my 7RM.

I put a 165 Sierra Tipped Gameking (GameChanger) out of a 7 Mashburn through a cow elk broadside at around 80 or 100 yards last year. She died.

I would wonder about a cup and core’s performance above a certain velocity, somewhere around 2900 to 3000 fps. For instance a close range shot out of a magnum chambering through heavy bone. Slower than that I’m not sure you would ever be able to tell a difference between a cup and core and a more stoutly constructed bullet.

Nearly 20 years ago, I used the awesome 175 gr Nosler Partition from my 7mm Rem Mag to take a 6x6 bull in Wyoming. Accurate, and performance on game was excellent. The bull took about 6 steps after being hit, then collapsed. Bullet exited. :)

aJJqZOkh.jpg

I couldn't have asked for a better bullet.

desertcj":yd60dzpt said:
Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to shoot those particular bullets?

Mostly it’s because they have a good reputation in these parts for deer and elk. My LGS has an ample supply of both on hand and they’re much cheaper than premium bullets. I can get 100 of them cheaper than 50 premium slugs of nearly any make.

To wit I happen to think the 160 grain AccuBond to be about the best all around 7mm bullet ever assembled. I use Nosler bullets in several other rifles but would like to expand my experience with other products, especially the non premium choices. I figured as long as I stick with the heavy 175 grain bullets I will be just fine.

joelkdouglas":1uguz78q said:
I put a 165 Sierra Tipped Gameking (GameChanger) out of a 7 Mashburn through a cow elk broadside at around 80 or 100 yards last year. She died.

I would wonder about a cup and core’s performance above a certain velocity, somewhere around 2900 to 3000 fps. For instance a close range shot out of a magnum chambering through heavy bone. Slower than that I’m not sure you would ever be able to tell a difference between a cup and core and a more stoutly constructed bullet.

Joel - I’m using the book max charge of RL-22 for these bullets. Out of my Shaw 24” I doubt I’m getting more than 2800-2850 fps though I have yet to clock them. They’re pleasant to shoot and should work well!

I loaded some 175gr in my 7mag.I used 63.0grs of Reloader-22 and was getting around 2850fps with that load out of a 24" Douglas barrel.I went as high as 64.0grs,but the 63.0gr load shot just a little better.

I haven't shot any animals with the 175 Sierra GK, but it shoots darned near identically to the 175 Partition and I can swap back and forth as needed. I'd imagine the Hornady will work the same as well. The 175 Interlocks have been pretty tough from a little bit of my testing.

With 26, 7828, H1000, etc, getting the 175's up over 2900 shouldn't be any big trick and like has been mentioned, I think at that speed range they would work just fine.

Back