Shooting in 35 Whelen with new scope

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
So I had a Burris Fullfield E1 3 X 9 X 50 installed on the Whelen the other month. Finally got to the range late last week to get it on paper at 50 yds. Gun is REM. 700 Classic with 22" tube.

I shot my hand loads with 225 AB's that are clocked at 2677 fps. I also had some Remington factory ammo with 200 Pointed CL bullets.

I thought it was interesting that both printed at the identical POI !! :shock: Didn't have anymore time to shoot it at 100 yds then. Will return to finalize the sight in process soon.

Don

I have found that quite a few of my Whelen loads have very close POIs. It is very convenient.

Keep that rifle!
I've only had 1 rifle that would shoot most any load to the same POI.
You got a good one there.

Anytime I have a rifle that will put several ( or even two, one light, one heavy) loads into the same zero ( 2" of each other) I "cherish and shoot that rifle sparingly", ha. Love that Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelen!

I have the same rifle and it's always been a shooter for me with 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets. I've actually been thinking about hunting with it this year.
Need to blow off the cob webs and check the zero.

JD338

JD338":2a1hz96u said:
I have the same rifle and it's always been a shooter for me with 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets. I've actually been thinking about hunting with it this year.
Need to blow off the cob webs and check the zero.

JD338

Yes you do! :lol:

Don, that’s great your Whelen is doing well!

I once owned a very good shooting Rem 35 Whelen 700 Classic and sold it because I had a M70 30-06 rechambered and the barrel bored out to 35 cal and chambered for the 35 Whelen Ackely Imp. which I like better since it has a longer barrel and gives several hundred fps more velocity with out maxing it out.
So now I have the best of both cartridges where if I want to I can shoot both out of the same rifle.
If I were in the market for a 35 Whelen I would jump on the one you are looking at.
Once I had it there are two things I would do to it and the first is to put a Timney trigger in it and the second would be to glass bed it which will help it shrink the groups these rifles are known to shoot.
The one I had would shoot under an inch at 100yds after doing what I just mentioned.
The model 70 I had modified would out shoot it so I passed it on to someone who could use it instead of making a safe queen out of it.

Don,
My Ruger Hawkeye 35 Whelen is the best shooting
Ruger I have owned, I use 250gr Speers in it 98 percent of the time. However Scotty had told me his 35W shoots a 250gr Nosler the same as the Speers. So just for fun, I tryed a box of Noslers and Ditto! Right in same holes, same as his. Your 225 load sounds impressive for sure. I am sure it will serve you well in the future.
Best of luck
E

The new scope is a good improvement over the old Bushnell I took off. I have the same Burris on my 30-06. It's just so much brighter in low light conditions. The older the eyes get one needs to make some changes. :wink:

I'm getting some good buck on the Trail Cams lately. Anxious to get the Whelen involved come the season opener!! 8)

Don

Now you got me stoked! Regret selling 2 x 35 Whelens in the past, but dropping a Remington 700 Stainless this week for a rebore, gain twist and cant wait. Not selling this one, Leupold scope and a Trigger Tech 2.5 lb trigger so far and a decent recoil pad. Its gonna shoot!

Double Dropper":1llg7jex said:
Now you got me stoked! Regret selling 2 x 35 Whelens in the past, but dropping a Remington 700 Stainless this week for a rebore, gain twist and cant wait. Not selling this one, Leupold scope and a Trigger Tech 2.5 lb trigger so far and a decent recoil pad. Its gonna shoot!

That sounds about like a perfect rifle. I ordered up a Benchmark 3 contour 9.5 twist, have a Echols Shrike in my house. Once the barrel touches down it’ll get shipped off to get bolted together and the I’ll send it off to get it nitride or Black T coated.

Back