45-70 Gov't vs. 444 Marlin

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Ok guys and gals,
Both the 45-70 and the Triple 4 have been around for a long time and both have taken game around the globe. It's been said you can load the 45-70 from Mild to Wild but that's true with anything we load. We can also use hard cast lead bullets and get penetration into tomorrow.
So which one is really better for hunting North America?

JD338

I've only had the 45/70, but based on what I read, I think the 444 might just be better suited for most hunting in North America.

I sure do like the big bore Marlin rifles. :)

Guy

Guy Miner":1620jk93 said:
I've only had the 45/70, but based on what I read, I think the 444 might just be better suited for most hunting in North America.

I sure do like the big bore Marlin rifles. :)

Guy

I’ve got both Marlins and I don’t think there is a nickels worth of difference. Both will do the job with similar bullets. I do think the 444 is a bit gentler with similar potency sorta loads. A warm 45-70 load will wake you up in a Guide Gun. Full house 444 doesn’t seem nearly as harsh.

I agree with what Guy said too.

I've never fired a 444, I did hog hunt in Oklahoma with a friends 444.... but the hogs didn't show up.

I've loaded, shot, and hunted with 45-70 ..
a lot.

Back then, I would have said the 45-70 was better... but not now.... everything about the 444 is better/stronger.... the brass is better, the rifles are stronger, the recoil is less, better trajectory.

I very strongly considered a 444, and a 35 Remington, when I was shopping for a lever gun... and if Henry offered a 444 I most likely would have gotten one... but in the end I realized I could do everything I wanted to do with a lever gun in a handgun caliber....so it was 41 Mag all the way.

I used the 45/70 Marlin for about 9 years. Sold it. Went without for 10 years, but never really got over the big bore Marlin thing. :grin:

I'd kept some brass, and the dies for the 45/70... Guess I thought I'd get another one sometime.

I read that the 444 was going to make a reappearance. Cool!

Then I wandered into a gun shop and found a brand new 45/70 Marlin 1895 for $538... My goodness! And came home with it.

Maybe I should have waited for the 444, but I have the 45/70 again, and am quite happy with it, for the purpose intended.

At the moment I'm loading the 350 Hornady RNSP to about 2,000 fps - it's zeroed at 100 yards and I have no trouble doing well at 200 yards with it. I never intend to shoot at game at longer ranges with it.

Am going to come up with a modest powered load for a cast 405 - and wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing all my shooting and hunting with this rifle, with a cast 405 at modest velocity. Somewhere between 1200 - 1800 fps. Low pressure handloads can accomplish that, and really, I don't need much more out of it. A nice, mellow, big-bore thumper. That sounds good.

Guy

Both do much better with specialty factory loads or handloads IMO. For just close range hunting, the regular factory 405, 300 (45-70) and 240-265 444 Marlin offerings do just fine too.

Love them both (AND MY 45-90 WIN 1886) .

That said the 444 Marlin is way more versatile..... if that matters to you

I have to agree with Guy, and others on here, and say there isn't much difference between the 2. They both get around the same velocities with the same bullet weights. The only difference between either, of course, is the .429 bore for the 444, or the .458 bore for the .45-70.
I've been enamored with the .444 for going on 30 years now.
I finally bought mine in August of 2019.
I'm glad I did buy it, because the blog Fotis did on the .444, it certainly is a very versatile rifle round.
But whoever chooses a .444, or a .45-70 will be pleased with their choice.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Back