Rem 7600 35 whelen

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I am really surprised over and over again how well she shoots

ECy7fG6.jpg

cAy0m1e.jpg

That is a good shooting rifle and one I would keep. The 35 Whelen AI has me hooked and doubt if I would ever part with it.

Fotis,

That there is a shooter for sure.

JD338

A lot of those things shoot pretty darned well.

Young fellow I know has one in 30-06, his grandfather's rifle. We took it to the range, and dang, it shoots great!

A couple of weeks after we shot it, adjusted the scope a bit, he took a real nice muley buck with it.

Guy

I have my dads old 760 bought in 1965 it's a 30-06 and will shoot under and inch all day long with 150 nosler partitions ....

We had a hunter a few years back show up with an old 760 pump in 30/06 that had NOT been fired in nearly 40 years. His son acquired it after his Dad passed away. It was more of a 2" plus gun at 100yds.
His dad had died with dream of someday going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland. His son also found a few very old boxes of cartridges, one box of 220gr, was marked "Newfoundland Moose" .
He used it on a hunt with us to take a 900lb Bull on the first day of his hunt! One shot from his Dads old 760 using 50 year old cartridges secured his trophy.
Because of the nature of the horrible creep and weight of pull in a 760 triggers, combined with poor
Barrel to action consistentcy....... 2/3" accuracy at 100yds seamed to be more inline with the ones we have seen shoot. I have never seen one that would shoot a 1/2" group or even close to that.....
Congrats Fotus! You may have the only one out there? May want to hang onto that one forever.
Maybe a once in a lifetime rifle?
We sold hundreds of 760/742s in the 1960s/70s:
Simply they used to be " the most popular" Maine Woods gun, we sold.
If not kept immaculately cleaned they were very prone to extraction problems. The gunshop was always full of ones the owners claimed were " jamin sob's" lol.
Because of the noise involved in the ratcheting of loading one in the 'heat of the moment', most of the woods workers around here have all lost big bucks
That they would happen onto usually with a doe during peak rut, on their way to work around daylight..... I will set this up for the reader;
The scenario was always the same:
"We came around the corner and Joe screams there he is right there! The brakes were applyed in haste at an alarming rate, usually throwing unsecured objects, into the windshield, both occupants then leap out of the pickup, with both deer, still watching the truck intently.
As both slam in the clips and snap the bolt back the sound of the bolt coming forward was the main culprit of MANY a huge bucks signal to depart the scene at a high rate of velocity!
My dad used to say the 742/760 rifles
Probably saved more big bucks in Maine
than any other brand of rifle! :lol:
Of course 99%
Of them were always lined up ' dead on' at 100 yds because all these fellas claim to be 'woods hunters' and rarely shot over75yds....... :roll:
leaving the owner at a huge disadvantage when the deer were standing 300yds down in the road....
The shop was always full of storys of the massive heavy racks on these bucks they never got...... :shock:
The story normally included the hunters version
of how he held ' bout a foot over his back' touched er off and 'never cut a hair'....... It still going on to this day....... These fellas all consider themselves ' great hunters' and knowledgeable marksmen. :lol: . We do still have big ones here, to recreate these scenario's.
Its all good..... (y)
EScreenshot_2019-12-02-11-53-41~2.png

Attachments

• Resized_20191127_155637_5721.jpeg
    Resized_20191127_155637_5721.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 719
I have a 760 in 35 Rem that was made in 1979 and it will shoot under an inch sometimes about 5/8 inch if I'm having a good day, lol. Dan.

I sold a carbine 30-06 engraved to a cousin many years ago. He sends me his 1/2-3/4” group each fall, making sure I know that it’s not for sale. I was over there one time and it had a big scratch on it, told him I was gonna have to repossess it, for neglect!

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

He is Guy.......
A bunch of friends are in Kansas this week, I told them to only send pics of their bucks that are bigger
than this fella.......

So far I havent recieved any photos...lol

I just snagged up a safe mate for my 7600 Whelen, a 7600 in 280 Remington. I am hoping it works out as nicely as the big 35 does. Great rifles when you do what you are supposed to do with them. I am a bolt gun nut but man, they point well for me.

I had a 760 for a short while. Got it in a trade along with some ammo. Guy sold it to me as it kicked way too hard to suit him. When I looked at the two boxes of ammo I could see why. They were 220 gr. Winchesters and Silvertips IIRC. This was back around 1977/78. I shot up the ammo for the brass and sold the rifle. Recoil was a bit stout.
Paul B.

The Remington 7600 and the .35 Whelen are an awesome combination. With RL15 and 225 grain SGKs it shoot as good of groups as my custom 338-06 Ackley at 100 and 200 yards. I'm shooting RL17 and 210 grain NPTs in the Ackley.

Congrats on the 280 Scotty, what an amazing caliber
buddy.......very nice addition.
E

35 Whelen":2gedoc32 said:
Congrats on the 280 Scotty, what an amazing caliber
buddy.......very nice addition.
E

Thanks E. Pretty excited to set it up. I don't know that I have ever used the fast repeating capabilities of them, but they are handy in the woods.

Back