Bigger Bores & Bigger Bullets

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
The problem for many of us who like medium & big bore rifles & heavy bullets... Is that there's really not much need for them. Not for most of us anyway.

We like them! (y)

But... Most of us don't really "need" them. No wooly mammoths left. Jurassic Park is just a fantasy. Africa's big five are just an expensive dream for most of us. No polar bears or huge Alaskan brown bears encountered on my daily walks either.

Yet, we like our big bullets & rifles. We think of Elmer Keith and his love of everything 33 cal and above. We think of Roosevelt's 405 "lion medicine." Ruark's admonition to "Use Enough Gun."

Then we go hunt our 150 - 250 pound deer... :mrgreen:

My weaknesses are the 45/70 and the 375 H&H. I enjoy those rifles so doggone much! But do I need them? No! Not at all. Years ago I killed a mule deer with my 45/70 Marlin. It didn't die any faster than deer shot with a 6mm or 25-06 rifle... I shot three black bears with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One. One might have died a little faster than the black bear I shot with my 30-06 rifle.

I've considered loading for and hunting with the bigger rifles to be part of my education as a rifleman, as a hunter. It's been a fun and interesting journey and hopefully one that will continue to unfold for me and for others.

What are your favorite 33 cal & up rifles & bullets?

bHD5TcYh.jpg

Guy

Huge fan of the 375 H&H, but I absolutely love my 9.3x62 mauser. Really fighting to urge to pick up a 416 rigby just for history's sake. And yes all of these are overkill for deer in Mississippi lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of my 9.3x62 load. 285 grain PPU RN with 65 grains of big game powder for 2500 fps.

ssGK1Wrl.jpg

I actually have a fair excuse to run the big boy rounds, moose and bears are big enough to qualify.

My favorite big bores are 9.3x62, 375 RUM, 45/70 and 458 LOTT. Even my AR15 chronically wears a 450 BM upper.

They can’t kill something too dead! Also most can be downloaded for a tad less recoil.

To be fair the 308 sees the bulk of my hunting anymore but a 300 PRC is in the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 35 Rem. Not a large case by any means but is a mid size bullet. It works real well for our WV whitetails and up to 200 yds. Mine is a Rem 760 made in 1979. One of my grandsons used it in our early doe season last month, range about 125 yds using the Hornady 200gr Lever. One of my friends used to say " It will leave a blood trail a blind man could follow". Dan.

I have enjoyed several of my mid-size cartridges (338 Federal, 358 Winchester, 356 Winchester, 358 Norma Magnum, 350 Remington Magnum, and I'll just throw in the 8X68S for good measure) and the inimitable 9.3X64 Brenneke. All work better than they should on game. None kill any better than my other cartridges, but they always brought a smile to my face when I pulled the trigger.

RL338":1vh95vp2 said:
500gr TSX in an 460 WBY baby :grin:
My retina just detached while looking at that picture [emoji1787]

Oh man, I like this one Guy!

So, I love my 338 Win Mag, it has been a solid companion and has accounted for a bunch of elk for me and a few deer even. Going from there, my 348 Winchester is another great one and will get some hunt time every year, then the 358 Win and 35 Whelen are a ton of fun. I’ve got a neat little 9.3x57 that I will get out one of these years and then there is the P64 375 H&H Improved. That sucker is wearing on me. Just a sweetheart of a rifle and the cartridge just looks wicked to me.

Wow! Can't believe I overlooked the 35 Whelen. It is a joy to carry and to shoot. Reading Scotty's post jogged my memory. Must be age-related dementia. :oops:

DrMike":17ba73gn said:
Wow! Can't believe I overlooked the 35 Whelen. It is a joy to carry and to shoot. Reading Scotty's post jogged my memory. Must be age-related dementia. :oops:

I’ve got your back buddy! I knew you were just saving the best for last.

Yeah, and I've always thought that a 9.3X57 would be just the ticket for working the dark timber. Passed on a chance to pick one up many years ago, and I've never forgiven myself. You've done alright in the area of securing a great armory, Scotty.

This is a very interesting thread Guy! I currently don’t own anything bigger than .30 caliber in my rifle collection but have been spoiling for a .338 or possibly a .35 or .375! I used to own an 8x57 and have owned two 8mm Rem Mags.

The .338 Win is just so versatile and honestly I’m not sure there is anything on earth that couldn’t be taken with a 300 grain slug.

I’ve shot several .444 and .45-70s, one .450 Marlin. Blackpowder rifles of any bore size are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a long "on again, off again" affair with the .375s going back 20 years...because, "not quite dead enough" is a much bigger problem than "too dead".

I really like the H&H and the Ruger versions. As far as I can tell, the shape of the case is about the extent of the difference between the two. Same ballistics and same wallop on the receiving end. I think I'm up to 6 now that have gone through my collection and the next one is just a matter of right place, right time.

My 416 Rigby was too much of a good thing though. While I miss the rifle, I'd have been much happier had it been a .375H&H.

Cleveland48":26fnxkl1 said:
RL338":26fnxkl1 said:
500gr TSX in an 460 WBY baby :grin:
My retina just detached while looking at that picture [emoji1787]

I'm SURE that's just loaded with Trail Boss ...

While many would argue that big bores really do not start until above 40 cal...I will include the 323/338 cal and larger as that what everyone here is discussing.
I too have the same fascination with the larger calibers and cartridges, and find merit in Elmer Keith's philosophy. Although I must confess that I am not a big fan of heavy recoil, I have shot some of those rifles. Guess it is why I prefer the medium bores and recoil levels. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing!"
I have had great success hunting with the 338 Federal, 338-06, 338 Win Mag, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 375 Win and 376 Steyr over the years. I also enjoy shooting my 356 Win, 9.3x62 and 416 Taylor, but have yet to harvest game with them. I have also enjoyed owning and shooting the 348 Win. Unfortunately, I just never did cotton to either of the 45/70's I have owned, either in the Marlin or Browning 1886. I have also shot friend's rifles in 325 WSM, 8MM Rem Mag, 350 Rem Mag, 358 Norma, 9.3x64, 375 H&H, 375 H&H AI, 375 Wby, 416 Rigby, 458 Win, 458 Lott, 450/500 3 1/4" and 510 Wells.
As far as need goes, there is a time and a place for many of these cartridges in North America, but I too will admit that I do not need a 416 Taylor, but it doesn't stop me from owning one and hoping to harvest a bison or a big grizzly/brown bear with it one day!
I guess that there is a satisfying "thump" provided by bullets of a larger diameter and heavier weight on big game, that has proven effective over the decades. All of the meat that has been put in my freezer, and shared with my family has born testament to this fact.

Good thoughts here all.

Wish I'd had more success with the 375 H&H. The bears were great, but I've also carried it while hunting mule deer and elk. Just haven't ever taken a shot at either of those with the 375 rifle.

Perhaps next year. :grin:

The only 375 bullet I've used to take game with is the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond. My rifle loves 'em! Excellent accuracy, and a trajectory very similar to a 180 gr 30-06 load make hitting out to 300 yards pretty simple. And it performs well on game. I did manage to recover one bullet from a bear I shot at uncomfortably close range, about fifteen feet.

4Ms9Mh5l.jpg

q9FBjK0l.jpg

With the 45/70 - the only bullet I used to take game was the good ol' 405 gr Remington FNSP at about 1650 fps. It went right through both shoulders of a mule deer doe at about 70 yards, breaking her back and dropping her instantly. I'm loading two different bullets for the 45/70 now, and trying to decide which will be my "standard" load for that Marlin: the 350 gr RNSP Hornady, and a 405 gr bullet cast by a friend & neighbor of mine. Both look good and shoot well.

You have some favorite bullets for your medium & big bore rifles?

Guy

Guy Miner":2pjqplyp said:
Good thoughts here all.

Wish I'd had more success with the 375 H&H. The bears were great, but I've also carried it while hunting mule deer and elk. Just haven't ever taken a shot at either of those with the 375 rifle.

Perhaps next year. :grin:

The only 375 bullet I've used to take game with is the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond. My rifle loves 'em! Excellent accuracy, and a trajectory very similar to a 180 gr 30-06 load make hitting out to 300 yards pretty simple. And it performs well on game. I did manage to recover one bullet from a bear I shot at uncomfortably close range, about fifteen feet.

4Ms9Mh5l.jpg

q9FBjK0l.jpg

With the 45/70 - the only bullet I used to take game was the good ol' 405 gr Remington FNSP at about 1650 fps. It went right through both shoulders of a mule deer doe at about 70 yards, breaking her back and dropping her instantly. I'm loading two different bullets for the 45/70 now, and trying to decide which will be my "standard" load for that Marlin: the 350 gr RNSP Hornady, and a 405 gr bullet cast by a friend & neighbor of mine. Both look good and shoot well.

You have some favorite bullets for your medium & big bore rifles?

Guy

Man, I wished I could pick favorites!

Right now, the one and only I have used in the 375 is the 250 TTSX at 2900.. Worked well in the little buck...

I think the 35 calibers really dote on the 225 AB and 250 Partitions..

The 338, well, that one has used the 200 AB, 210 PT, 225 Partition, 210 Swift, and 250 Partition.. Haven't seen much if any difference in any of them. They all work excellent. I kinda have a soft spot for the 210 Swift and Partition though. Those two started around 2900-3000 are right in my sweet spot for my hunting.

In the 338 Federal, I've pretty well settled on 200 grain E-Tips, which give me about 0.5 inches quite consistently.

The .358 Win shot 200 grain TSX to .3 of an inch consistently. That was in three different BLRs I have owned.

The .356 Win shoots 220 grain Speer FP and 250 grain Kodiak bullets to 0.5 inches. This is across three different Model 94s I've owned in that chambering.

For the .358 Norma, I settled on the 280 grain Swift A-Frame.

I'm shooting 200 grain TSX in the 350 Rem Magnum, yielding consistent groups of about 0.25 inches.

The 35 Whelen shoots 225 grain TSX to 0.5 inches.

In the 8X68S, I favour 200 grain Swift A-Frames.

The 9.3X64 Brenneke favours 250 grain AccuBonds, shooting them to 0.5 inches.

I do enjoy these medium bores, but since my last truck wreck, my body is not as thrilled about shooting them. Still, they work quite well on game.

Back