Who/When should someone buy QL?

grifmXC

Beginner
Dec 6, 2019
I am thinking about getting quickload to help with developing a couple loads for my 308 that has a long throat. OAL with 168TTSX touching the lands is 2.995, so seating the bullet to .05 off lands as Barns recommends gives me an OAL of 2.945. That is going to leave me with a bit more case capacity so should be able use a bit more powder for the same pressure compared to the book OAL 2.8 with the same bullet. I think I would feel better having a program give me a ballpark of where i should expect to start seeing issues and I like the idea of being able to predict performance of other powders and bullets but I’m not sure how much I would use it long term. For those that purchased QL, have you used it for only what you originally planned or did you fine other uses for it?

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was doing a lot of experimenting with a number of cartridges, so justifying the purchase was not a problem. If you load for one cartridge only, you may not have the same need. However, the program is not terribly expensive, so a couple of pounds of power would pay for the program. It does come with ballistics software that is quite helpful.

Thanks for the reply, I had the same thought about it paying for itself with savings on components, I’ve pretty much convinced myself that I should get it just looking for confirmation.

Even if you load for just one cartridge, QL can be very helpful since reloading manuals don't include all combinations of cases, primers, powders, bullets, and seating depths. Your particular case capacity, seating depths, and powder lot burn rates can lead to significantly different results than those predicted by book loads. Once you know how to use it QL can help you find safe loads with your specific variables.

Personally I never rely 100% on QL predictions and always use some kind of book load data to support or supplement the QL predictions.

QL is kind of like air conditioning in a automobile. Once you have had it you wouldn't be without it.

Dan

Matt , I've had quickload for awhile . the initial cost is a little high , but the updates are reasonable . I think updates are about $15 or $20 . like Dr Mike said , if you buy a few pounds of powder that doesn't give the desired results , you've spent the cost of quickload . I like to look at the what ifs . just like you're saying about lengthening the COAL . or what if I went to powder ABC , would I gain any velocity , what is the case fill percentage of this powder . quickload will give a recoil amount for a given load . I've used this for making reduced recoil loads . to get the most out of it you'll need to adjust a few things in quickload , to match up with your set up . you should have a decent chronograph , and a way to weigh fired brass cases filled with water to be able to fine tune quickload . . a beam scale would probably not work , so a digital scale would be needed along with a chronograph . I do use mine for more than one rifle . I would not want to be without it , I feel it's that handy .

I might mention that by predicting nodes for various combinations, the savings in components required for testing will pay for the program within a short while.

About 10 years ago, I was pinging the QL sales guy with a bunch of questions and finally (finally like in last email) he said something to the effect of "Buy it, you'll be happy!"

I did. I was.

All thanks for the replies, You’ve confirmed/backed up what I was thinking and I am really leaning towards ordering the software.

If you don’t mind answering a couple more questions about the program.

The website just says

“More than 1200 cartridges
More than 250 powders
More than 2500 bullets Powders”

Are those listed somewhere? Also when there is an update, do they say what powders and bullets have been added?

From the load data I have found on the various component sites I’m particularly interested in AR-Comp, CFE223, Power Pro 2000MR, Big Game, RL-17, and Varget for powders.

.308 barns TTSX and LRX (all weights), Nosler Accubonds and Partitions for bullets.

Are these powders/bullets in version 3.9? I assume so, but wanted to check.

Also, does anyone know what are the minimum system requirements to run the software?

I sent these questions to the sales email address. the reply I got said he would have to check on the powder/bullets. The response about system requirements was “it is a windows program”

Thanks again for all your help.

Matt

I've built a lot of wildcats and played with throat lengths and it's been a great tool. It is a computer program so you have to remember the axiom "GARBAGE IN = GARBAGE OUT. The more accurate your input the better your results will be. I adjust case capacity to a ten case average make sure OAL is actual length. Then once I have initial chrono info I'll tweak burn rate to synchronize the two sets of data. From then on it predicts performance very well. It has a very good baseline of data for powders and bullets.
Buy it, you'll love it!

Scott

Any powder, bullet or cartridge in the market for more than a year is in the data base. There are hundreds of cartridges; many you've never heard of. I can spend hours on it referencing and verifying data. Creating wildcats and running new combinations. If your computer is at all current (windows 98) Your good to go.

Quickload is worth the money if you are a technically oriented shooter. If you haven't already studied Optimum Charge Weight and Optimum Barrel time, to you should do that. A good chronograph completes the tool box. As previously discussed, it is very complex and provides the ability to fine tune to your rifles. To really exploit it, you need to do that. However, in it's basic form, it is very close for basic data. You'll spend hours playing the "what if" game.
I shot F-Class with a couple of High Master shooters that used it for load development. These guys have Phd's in science and approach competition at a very high tech level. According to them, once you get it tuned, you can hit the OBT nodes quickly, saving time and money in load development. I have not taken the time to learn how to make all of the tweeks yet.
Buy it!

I don't have powerpro 2000MR in my listing . I have all the other powders you asked about . the gun powders are on a drop down that you scroll through and click on your choice . the bullets are in files . you click on the bullet maker , Nosler , Barnes , Hornady , etc , then it brings up a drop down of that makers bullets that you scroll through . I hope you understand what I'm saying , I'm not the sharpest computer guy .

I have no idea on minimum system requirements needed , you're getting over my head now . I've had it since 8/26/09 . I've ran it on windows XP ,(and I think my computer before xp ) and now windows 10 .

I'm looking at installation and end user agreement ; has been tested on IBM-PC compatible , windows 2000_sp3 , XP_sp2 , vista , windows 7 , it's assumed it will run under newer releases and versions , but cannot be guaranteed . recommend screen 1024x768 and higher . hope this helps .

Back