RNFP vs SWC

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
For those who reload for large pistol calibers (44/45), what are your experiences with RNFP bullets vs. SWC Keith-style bullets? Does one tend to be more accurate than the other? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Brian

I've only run RNFP bullets that were loaded in some factory ammo resorting the SWCs after they were shot. Accuracy, considering the way I shoot handguns was about equal with maybe a slight edge to the SWC. All my molds are for SWCs anyway so that's the way I go.
Paul B.

A bullet that really surprised me years ago, loading for grandpa's old 45 Colt...

230 grain soft swaged round nose with a slightly concave base. That bullet was made by Albert's - I don't think they exist anymore. It was intended for the 45 ACP, but worked GREAT from the old Colt revolver. I was tearing the heck out of the center of the target with that bullet.

Another one that works well is the soft swaged 250 grain Speer LSWC.

I'm not sure that I can say that the SWC or the RNFP bullets shot better from my various 44's over the years, if properly sized they all seemed to shoot plenty well enough for me.

I do like chucking big ol' lead bullets from 44 & 45 revolvers. :grin:

Tend to do more of it in the winter, now that our range is covered in snow and policing up the 45 ACP brass from my 1911's is difficult without putting a tarp out to catch 'em.

Guy

Agree on the Lead Semi Wadcutters. I shot a ton of 255 Grain LSWC through my old .45 Ruger Vaquero. Very accurate bullet and no problem spotting the holes in the target. The nice thing about casting bullets (which I did with this bullet) is that you can control the hardness factor.

I don't think it is a matter of which bullet shape but which bullet/load your particular pistol shoots best. The reason that Elmer came up with the SWC was for hunting. Most of the bullets back then were round nose or slightly flat point and would just plow through flesh mostly leaving small wound tracks. He came up with the SWC so it would cut caliber size holes in flesh and thus cause more bleeding and things died quicker.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. It seems to be about like I expected: No major advantage either way, with perhaps a small advantage to the SWC. I will proceed to do some testing in that direction, then.

Thanks again,
Brian

Back