6.5 Ballistic Tips

Code4

Beginner
Mar 16, 2011
I am looking at trying the 100 BT in my Howa Grendel.

I know the 120BT is just a short 140 BT and a bit tough for use in the Grendel.

Is the 100BT more explosive or is it just another sawn-off 140 ?

Not in a Grendel but used in my 6.5x55 with a starting load for my grandson and it sure put a big hole in a couple of deer he shot with them. So I would say it isn't like a 120-140 as I have used both of these also. Dan.

Both the 120 and 100 BT are OK for usage in the Grendel for deer size game according to the Grendel loading guide that you can find how to get them over on the 6.5 Grendel web site. It has a bunch of examples of bullet and what they do at Grendel velocities in them.
It depends on what you want to use your rifle for as to which bullet you want.
One of the best deer bullets I have used in my AR 6.5 Grendel's is the Speer 120 Gold Dot. The 120 Sierra Pro Hunter is also pretty good. Both are very accurate and I use IMR 8208 to get them 2550 in 20" and 2500 from 18" barrels.
If you want to shoot varmints then Nosler 90 gr Varmagaddon or Hornady 95 Vmax are good and H335 seems to work well with them.
One fellow over on the Grendel web site that shoots a bunch of hogs and goes by Doublenotspy DNS has found that the Speer 90 gr TNT makes a good hog bullet even though it is supposed to be a varmint bullet which may really be in higher velocity calibers but in the Grendel it does not vaporize but does expand and gets good penetration and kills good.

Back