.308 Hornady Match - Hunting equivalent

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I have a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 with a 20” barrel. 1-10 twist, I believe.

It shoots really good with 168 grain Hornady Match HPBT.

I’ve taken an antelope with it using a 168 grain Amax. But I’m going after pigs, and I worry the Amax may not be up to the job.

What do you guys suggest that might duplicate the performance out of the match ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Partition is a great bullet but are generally much shorter then other bullets in the same weight class. Which may have an affect on accuracy depending on the throat in your rifle... I would suggest either the 165 accubonds or 150 Barnes TTSX.

-Matt

grifmXC":3ks7gqqf said:
The Partition is a great bullet but are generally much shorter then other bullets in the same weight class. Which may have an affect on accuracy depending on the throat in your rifle... I would suggest either the 165 accubonds or 150 Barnes TTSX.

-Matt

I like the idea of accubonds. What powder would you use with that, which could replicate the Hornady match load?

I’m running 168 Berger classic hunter and CFE223 out of my 16” 1-10 308

I’m running 168 Berger classic hunter and CFE223 out of my 16” 1-10 308

zacii":212e60db said:
grifmXC":212e60db said:

-Matt

I like the idea of accubonds. What powder would you use with that, which could replicate the Hornady match load?

Varget is always a good starting point with the 308. It is extremely temperature stable but produces a little less velocity. CFE223 gives you about 100fps more for any given bullet but is a lot more sensitive to temp fluctuations. I have been hearing great things about Power Pro 2000-MR, similar velocities to cfe223 but with less temperature sensitivity (still more than varget). I haven’t used it yet (just found/picked up a lb to try last weekend).

My brother used his AR-10 (308) on our hog hunt this year, and the 150 gr. Gold Dot really put a smack-down on the hogs. And later worked equally well on deer. The two that were recovered were expanded beautifully with great weight retention. I worked up his load with Reloder 15.

Attachments

• 308 gold dot RL 15.jpg
    308 gold dot RL 15.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 731
I used the 168 HPBT Horn as my “blasting equivalent” to the Nosler Ballistic Tip of the same weight and flung em with identical components out to about 400 w/o a difference large enough to notice in hunting conditions.

hunter24605":10c6exom said:
My brother used his AR-10 (308) on our hog hunt this year, and the 150 gr. Gold Dot really put a smack-down on the hogs. And later worked equally well on deer. The two that were recovered were expanded beautifully with great weight retention. I worked up his load with Reloder 15.
Do you have any pics of the recovered bullets?

lhsako":3ba7q0qq said:
hunter24605":3ba7q0qq said:
Do you have any pics of the recovered bullets?

I don't. Maybe he took some or saved the bullets. I'll ask and get back to you.

Back