New guy here with fist .270 loads

Bigborefan

Beginner
Dec 2, 2019
Hello everybody,

I apologize if this is long winded.

I started handloading about 10 years ago, mostly pistol caliber and plinking 223. But I haven't loaded anything in the past 4 years until now.

I have a T/c Venture in .270 that I started loading for with a goal of it being my go to deer rifle out to 300-350yd with most shots being under 150yd. I have been reading all kinds of stuff on here and other places and thought the Nosler AccuBond 140gr was the best bullet for this. I picked up a few boxes along with a pound of H4831SC, Federal Lg match primers, and new Starline brass with flash holes and primer pockets done.

I figured I would start with Noslers load data and seating depth and go from there. I started with 55gr and went to 58gr, the max according to Nosler. I was a little surprised, none of them grouped bad, some were 1in. All the fired brass looked good so I slowly made my way up to 58.6gr and that seemed to be the ticket.

Here is a pic of 10 rounds I shot a few days ago so I could get a better idea. I fired 5, let the barrel cool then the other 5.

This is where I need some advice. The 2 shots to the right I'm pretty sure was my fault, I know the top one is. Would a gun that shoots like this be good out to 300-350 as long as I'm able to? Should I play with the seating? Is the difference between the top 4 and bottom 4 my fault? I know I need more trigger time with this gun. Before now I only shot it a handful of times a year.

Again, sorry for the long post. And I appreciate any advice.

Fyi, not sure why the pic is sideways.
06d5e7f924f4a3ae7ee750a1cb9e073d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A 1"group at 100yd should be around 3" at 300 yds so unless you're shooting something very small, that's good to go. A .270 is actually a little overkill for field mice. You've made a fine choice for your first loads. And welcome to the board.

First off welcome aboard, great group of supportive and knowledegeable guys and gals here. If it were me I would shoot that load at 300 and 350 yards and see what it looks like. I'm merely guessing here but I'll bet you'll be pleased with the results. 3/4 moa will do well quite a ways out.

Those will be amply accurate enough for deer at 300 yards mister!

Keep practicing and come fall you’ll no doubt fill your freezer. Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. I'd say you got good advice on the above posts. 8 shot 3/4" group pretty much right out of the box will treat you very well to those distances and beyond in most cases. You have what appears to be a good load, done a good job reloading, and a good job shooting.

I flipped your target for you.

Great shooting, solid load and I’d run that to 400 and 500 and expect it to be great. Way to go. Congrats.

You are pretty good to go. You didn’t mention your Zero. For that cartridge, I’d zero at 200. You’d be in a 2” tunnel from 0-235 yards. 9” hold at 300, 16” at 350.

I’d definitely practice all your shots out to 500. If you can make 500 happen on paper. 350 on a deer is easier than if you practice on paper at 350.

Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 10 shots that is a very good group, I think you have a winner there. Welcome to the forum, lots of 270 Win fans here including myself.

Thank you for all the replies! And thanks ShadeTree for fixing the picture.

Most of my deer hunting life has been with shotgun, muzzleloader, or bow due to laws. In the last few years laws have changed and I joined a hunt club where I'm able to use rifle, that's when I purchased this rifle. I have done a good amount of groundhog hunting with small caliber rifles so that probably helps.

I forgot to mention that group was at 100yd. The public range won't allow me to set up my chronograph so today I will go to my family farm and shoot a few over it to see what it's actually doing. A 200yd zero is a good idea, thank you.

There are 2 distinct 4 shot groups. Did you shoot 4 shots, have the 5th go to the right, let the barrel cool, then fire the second 5 shots? I love the .270 as well.....

lhsako":7h1aevr5 said:
There are 2 distinct 4 shot groups. Did you shoot 4 shots, have the 5th go to the right, let the barrel cool, then fire the second 5 shots? I love the .270 as well.....
To be honest it was hard to tell which shot was which. I know the first shot was in the upper 4. The second shot was the upper right, and at least one of the first series was in the lower group. I think the 8th or 9th shot was the lower right.

I was thinking yesterday about it. The rifle is a stock gun. The barrel is free floating but the stock has some flex to it near the end of the forearm. Is it possible I was pulling the rifle into my shoulder more on some shots than others causing the two separate groups?

Bigborefan":3pcu2ms6 said:
lhsako":3pcu2ms6 said:
To be honest it was hard to tell which shot was which. I know the first shot was in the upper 4. The second shot was the upper right, and at least one of the first series was in the lower group. I think the 8th or 9th shot was the lower right.

I was thinking yesterday about it. The rifle is a stock gun. The barrel is free floating but the stock has some flex to it near the end of the forearm. Is it possible I was pulling the rifle into my shoulder more on some shots than others causing the two separate groups?

>>>Perhaps. Try to pull the sand bags back just a bit so that they are under the stock where it's more solid. As u know, the name of the game is the same. repeating the same hold from shot to shot is ideal. that rifle/load shoots so well just keep at it. refine your bench technique as you go along. experience and intelligent observation will lead the way !!!! good shooting !!!

lhsako":yx7g97pc said:
Bigborefan":yx7g97pc said:
lhsako":yx7g97pc said:

>>>Perhaps. Try to pull the sand bags back just a bit so that they are under the stock where it's more solid. As u know, the name of the game is the same. repeating the same hold from shot to shot is ideal. that rifle/load shoots so well just keep at it. refine your bench technique as you go along. experience and intelligent observation will lead the way !!!! good shooting !!!
Thank you.

Yes it's the little details that I sometimes forget.

The public range I use has closed for the summer as it does every year. I've had a few days off this week and I'm almost done setting up my own shooting bench on private property. I will definitely be getting some practice in this off season.

Bigborefan":2axu5nmv said:
lhsako":2axu5nmv said:
Bigborefan":2axu5nmv said:
lhsako":2axu5nmv said:

Thank you.

Yes it's the little details that I sometimes forget.

The public range I use has closed for the summer as it does every year. I've had a few days off this week and I'm almost done setting up my own shooting bench on private property. I will definitely be getting some practice in this off season.

You are welcome. We are all here to help ! Lot of collective experience here....just ask. The .270 is a GREAT cartridge. It will serve you well !

Excellent bullet, and obviously your rifle likes the load. If this load is primarily for deer size game, either whitetail, or mule you have more than enough bullet to meet those parameters. Actually better for Elk IMO, but superb either way.

First, welcome to our group, and great shooting! You’ll not find a finer group of people anywhere than here. There are some very knowledgeable marksmen and handloaders here that help whenever asked. I’ll vouch for that first hand.

Your 270 will suit you well out to 350 yds for deer, and then some. Keep your load as is for now and just shoot it where you are. It looks very solid where it is. I can only speak for myself but I don’t think I’ve ever gotten my best group from the first firings of a load. My groups always tighten up a bit after I settle into the load. After the anticipation of how the load will perform passes I become more consistent with it. After that is usually when I tweak a load. Not always but very often.

You will also be hard pressed to find more solid load components than GMM primers, either 4831, and an AB bullet for a 270 Winchester. Your loading the best components as you stand now.

Back