Bullets for 1 in 9.5 twist 7mm Rem Mag?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
For all around use for deer to moose what would you use? I was thinking a 160 gr AccuBond or 175 gr Partition would be my first two choices. The 1 in 9.5 twist limits some of the heavier sleek bullets of course.

I would think either of those would be great choices. Maybe start with the Partition just for some more oomph on the moose and see how it shoots. Really doubt they'd notice the 15 grain and 100 fps difference though....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For my 7mmRM X-Bolt, it loves the 168gr AccuBond Long Range and 168gr Berger VLDs. If going for moose I'd probably do 175gr Partitions. Here in WA my odds on ever drawing a moose tag are ridiculously low in my lifetime, so I focus mostly for deer and elk and the 168s ABLRs have done well for me on game.

Not sure on my twist rate, haven't measured it. Mine is the long range model X-Bolt but is about 5 years old so not sure what they were using at that time at the factory. Current standard model X-Bolts in 7mmRM use a 1 in 9.5 rate, and the long range models have 1 in 8 twist rate.

Gerry,

For years I've used the 175 grain TBBC. More recently, I've begun to use the 175 grain PT. For a period, when they were available, I used the 160 grain Win FS. All worked well for game of all varieties. I have no doubt that either the 160 AB or the 175 PT would fill the bill for you. My Featherweight is a 1:10 twist, and it this weight of bullet works well for me.

Gerry,

FWIW, my wife used the 160 gr PT in her 280AI at 3050 fps to take her bull moose at 262 yards. She put 3 perfect shots into him and two of them exited. The third shot went into the off shoulder and was under the hide.
Her rifle is a Nosler M48 Heritage 280AI with a 1:9" twist.

JD338

I should be out of quarantine later this week and I'll see what our local Canadian Tire has sitting there. I do have a small quantity of 150 gr Partition's in the house but that's it for 7 mm bullets here right now.

Finally got down to Canadian Tire today to see what they had there. They didn't have a lot of 7 mm bullets but lots of other diameters especially 6.5 mm and 30 cal. Thankfully they had a box of 160 gr AccuBond's and I also picked up some 154 gr Hornady Spire Point bullets that have shot well in this gun before but with different powders though. The plan is to try Magnum powder since I have a bunch of it and nothing else to use it right now. Going to use the 154's to work up and go from there, might even shoot a black bear with those in a couple of weeks and see how they work. Lot's of time to work up with the AccuBond's before the fall hunting season. Hope to update this thread in the near future after some range time.

Went out today and it went pretty well so I'm happy. Only shot with the 154 gr Hornady today but had some excellent results with Magnum and also IMR 4451. IMR 7977 is probably better than what I got today, the flyer was most likely my fault. I'm going to try that one again but 1/2 gr higher.

I was hoping Magnum would work out since nothing else I have likes that powder unfortunately but things are looking good so far so I'm happy. Zeroed the scope as I went along so I'll try 200 yards next and fine tune it.

49762722771_dd2b8ae420_z.jpg

49763052872_f3169e751e_z.jpg

49763052842_404b7343e6_z.jpg

49762722866_7b80294145_z.jpg

Well, that'll do. Can't imagine a moose or a bear walking away from a well-launched 154 grain Hornady. Well done, Gerry.

I ran the 160 gr Partition and 165 gr SGK Federal Premium ammo in my 7mm Rem Mag when I had it, and the elk, moose, deer and mountain goat never complained! They both shot well, with the 165 gr SGK having the edge in overall accuracy in my Rem 700 LSS. The new 165 gr Sierra GameChanger should work well too.

The 7mm 160 gr AccuBonds have worked well on big game from my 7MM STW over the years, and would work just as effectively from your 7mm. I alsohad very good results, accuracy and on game performance, over the years with 160 gr Partitions and 162 gr Interlocks out of the 280 Rem.

So I would have to say the 160/162/165 gr bullets are my go to choices for various cartridges in the 7mm family. Interestingly enough, I have never shot a 175 gr bullet in a 7mm, whether for target practice or hunting. So I cannot give a personal recommendation from experience on this weight.

But on big game ranging from deer to moose, I have never been left wanting for more performance than the 160/162/165 gr bullets in 7mm cartridges, regardless of initial velocity!

Have high hopes for the 160 gr AccuBond, it is such a great all around bullet and they usually shoot well. This rifle shoots well so the chances are good it will work well. Pretty tough to beat a 160 at around 3000 fps. Was thinking that one day I may even try the 175 gr Woodleigh.

Seems like a 160 or 175 will get it done buddy! They have both worked really well for me in my Mashburn.

I like the suggestion of the 165 gr Sierra TGK, read some good things about it. Same goes for the 175 gr Sierra BTSP it sounds like a surprisingly tough bullet. Add in the 170 gr Norma Oryx and I'll be busy the next few years testing loads! Oh well lots of worse things a guy could be doing ;)

gerry":369bn89j said:
I like the suggestion of the 165 gr Sierra TGK, read some good things about it. Same goes for the 175 gr Sierra BTSP it sounds like a surprisingly tough bullet. Add in the 170 gr Norma Oryx and I'll be busy the next few years testing loads! Oh well lots of worse things a guy could be doing ;)

Heck yeah, those are all good ones. I made a deal with myself to shoot what I have on the shelves for this year. I have a pile of 175 Partitions and BBC's so that is what I am going to feed the Mashburn this year. Heck, I plan on shooting the beans outta that rifle this year, just to hopefully get it ready for elk again this year. Still sorting out what the back up rifle will be. The 338 is always there and I need to load up some more 210 Swifts for it, but I have a great little Tikka 270 UL that I haven't ran out yet either and a pile of 150 Interbonds and Partitions, so I will likely start there next.

Joel smacked an elk with the 165 TGK's with his Mashburn and it worked pretty darned well. I could think of way worse bullets to test out.

My go to for 7mm wsm is the 140 AB, though for fun I do have a load for the 160 AB I just haven't found the need for it yet on Michigan white tails. Had some 175 Interlocks on the bench and time on my hands and they get along with 7828 sec just fine.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Back