Tikka 270 Winchester 150 Interbonds/RL23

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have had this Tikka T3X a few years and never really fell in love with the stock. It shot pretty decently with the 150 ABLR's a few times I took it out, but this year I decided to try shooting some of the bullets I had on my shelf. Well, I had a few 100 count boxes of 150 Hornady Interbonds.

I did a quick load work up with RL23 and the numbers looked pretty good, I backed the Interbonds off to .050 from the lands and decided to have at it.

I loaded 58.4 and 57.2 as those were the two spots that looked like they could be something.

I thought to myself, that might be workable...

Well, it was all pretty crappy... So I decided to keep shortening them..

The only good group there is the 338 I was zeroing and it got mixed up with the other.. :lol:

So all in all, NOTHING so far with these Interbonds. Right now I am .125 off the lands and they still aren't showing me much. I am beginning to think the barrel is bent.

Well, I loaded up some Partitions, Bergers and Ballistic Tips to try at the 58.4 grain mark.

The Bergers looked pretty good... I at least knew the barrel was good..

Partitions did really well outta the gate as well.

And the Ballistic Tips looked okay as well, not great but I can work with that..

It is a great handling rifle in the McMillan. The factory stocks just don't fit me great, but man, in the Sako Classic EDGE they feel excellent and the rifle weighs 7 1/2 pounds as it sits with the SS 3X9 on it in Sportsmatch Rings.

Too be continued.. I wanna run the rabbit hole with the Interbonds and see what happens when I shorten them up some more..

A lot of good intel, Scotty. FWIW, in conversations with Hornady techs a couple of years ago, they informed me that the IB did not require the jump that Nosler AB or monometal bullets thrive on. Consequently, I load them with about 0.01 inch jump and get good accuracy.

DrMike":2ei6tvwq said:
A lot of good intel, Scotty. FWIW, in conversations with Hornady techs a couple of years ago, they informed me that the IB did not require the jump that Nosler AB or monometal bullets thrive on. Consequently, I load them with about 0.01 inch jump and get good accuracy.

No kidding! Dang Mike, I am kind of hosed there since I cannot get to .010” in this rifle and still function through the magazine. Maybe after I shoot these next ones at shorter lengths I’ll find another home for the remainders.

I will definitely shorten up the Partitions though a bit and see if I can bring them together. I’ve got some 150 Accubonds coming so maybe those will perk for me.

I’m not a Berger guy but darned if they didn’t shoot with very little trouble. I’d like to poke one into a deer or elk and see what the fuss is about.

I did see in the Hornady manual they load them to 3.210” so maybe I’ll try that as well and see what happens. Hate to just give up on them but it’s nice to have back ups.

Scotty, I had great success with the 150 BT with about 57 or 57.5 gr. R-23. I was getting right around 2900 fps. I think the jump was in the .050" range.

Dan

The Partition load looks real good and the Ballistic Tips probably aren't too far away either. The Interbond is a good bullet but it seems to be a finicky bullet from what I read kind of like the ABLR in that regard. Haven't seen any 150 gr AccuBond's here yet so I can't wait to see how you make out with them.

lhsako":1kx4ptir said:
What indicated to you that 57.2 and 58.4 may be promising Scotty ?

So, I apologize but I am not getting notifications from this darned forum anymore, so I missed this.

I sent you a PM about it, but basically, when I get several shots in a string that are the same speed even while increasing the charge, I tend to pick the middle charge and see what happens.

gerry":1kx4ptir said:
The Partition load looks real good and the Ballistic Tips probably aren't too far away either. The Interbond is a good bullet but it seems to be a finicky bullet from what I read kind of like the ABLR in that regard. Haven't seen any 150 gr AccuBond's here yet so I can't wait to see how you make out with them.

Yeah, I have a feeling that all of them will tune right up in this rifle Gerry. Hornady has their loaded length at 3.210, so this week I am going to run them down to there and see what happens. If I can't make them doing anything better, I will move them along. The 150 Accubonds should be here shortly as well, so I will be trying those as soon as I can. A .010" shorter on the Partitions is a hunting load I'd be pretty comfortable with and do all I'd want.

NYDAN":1kx4ptir said:
Scotty, I had great success with the 150 BT with about 57 or 57.5 gr. R-23. I was getting right around 2900 fps. I think the jump was in the .050" range.

Dan

Dan, I will run those BT's back a little and see what happens. I suspect I'll get them pretty good though. Usually if a rifle won't shoot a BT they are broke! :mrgreen:

SJB358":1p92y4a9 said:
I am not getting notifications from this darned forum anymore.

Waaaaay off topic, but the same is true for me. I've checked settings on several occasions, but didn't notice any settings to allow notifying me of notifications.

DrMike":tgskwtiq said:
SJB358":tgskwtiq said:
I am not getting notifications from this darned forum anymore.

Waaaaay off topic, but the same is true for me. I've checked settings on several occasions, but didn't notice any settings to allow notifying me of notifications.

Same here Mike. I’ve checked to make sure I’m notified by email and all that, I’m subscribed to the forum topics I wanna see and nothing.

joelkdouglas":884touw8 said:
Same here, I almost forget about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, exactly! Without a danged reminder I can't tell what is what!

MODS can you take a look at this?

Shot the 150 Partitions out to 300 yards last night. Still getting a little 2-1 action going on with this load. I believe I'll try shortening them up just a skosh to see what happens, but when I consistently get two close and third winger it drives me crazy. Pretty nice shooting little rifle. Hard to beat them little Tikka's for a light carrying rifle.

I tried the Interbonds short and they stunk there as well in this rifle. The Partitions and Bergers shoot so well, I am done monkeying around with the Interbonds.

I’ve found the 150 Partitions to be an excellent bullet. When I am on my game both the 270 Wins and the WSM will hammer those. Plus, I mess with a bunch of bullets and there isn’t much that’s better. I shot the 150 Accubonds and those show a lot of promise but I just don’t feel like messing with them so close to elk season.

Should get a chance to shoot them a little more this weekend.

Back