Ever see one of these?

theddguide

Beginner
Jun 16, 2018
I recently acquired some old reloading equipment and this was mixed with a bunch of odd brass. It's 24 cal, appears to be a 24-06ai? Never seen such a thing myself.

5777fd08326b6344a5def86dccc05c83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nope, but the .06 case is a logical choice to push a 243 faster...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shoulder looks to be pretty far forward & not quite 40*. Is it maybe a 240 Gibbs? A drawing from the Wolfe book shows 2.145" from base to point of shoulder.

Don't recall seeing one, but some sort of 6mm-06 wildcat.

Bet it would be fun. :)

Guy

Yea the head stamp says nothing just some odd markings

filmjunkie4ever":2x3ib5ye said:
358 WCF":2x3ib5ye said:
Is it maybe a 240 Gibbs?

That was my first thought as well.

240 Gibbs sounds about right after doing a bit of research. I've heard of it before but never saw one until now

Hard to tell from the pic. The Gibbs line of wildcat ‘06 cartridges has a radius’d shoulder like a Weatherby. Either way, that combination is the definition of overbore.[emoji1]

gbflyer":1h7qeg6o said:
Hard to tell from the pic. The Gibbs line of wildcat ‘06 cartridges has a radius’d shoulder like a Weatherby. Either way, that combination is the definition of overbore.[emoji1]

Uh... no. Not sure what you're confusing Gibbs with, but no Weatherby radius on Rocky's line of cartridges.

I think the headstamp is Salt lake arsenal 1943. The cartridge looks like the .240 Gibbs to me.
Paul B.

I had a friend that I used to ground hog hunt with that his nephew had what he called a 6mm-06 that looked just like this round. He went hunting with us a few times. That rifle sure shot flat and did a number on ground hogs. The barrel did not last very long for head shot accuracy. Not sure how many rounds it took but I know it was probably under 1000 rounds.

The case is a 30:06 case manufactured in St Louis from 1941 to 1945. The diameter of the bullet would help in determination of the cartridge. Even outside case diameter would help. The data I find shows the Gibbs overall case length to slightly shorter than the 270 and longer than the 06. Certainly interesting. I bet fire forming is a chore, as well as case life.

358 WCF":3oyei7f2 said:
gbflyer":3oyei7f2 said:

Uh... no. Not sure what you're confusing Gibbs with, but no Weatherby radius on Rocky's line of cartridges.
Uh...thanks. You’re right.

FOTIS":ekno8oxp said:
Oh yeah overbore! but fun!

Only overbore if you can't get a slow enough powder Fotis! :mrgreen:

I almost can't believe you knew the work "overbore".. I didn't think that word resided in your head!

+1 Scotty !!

We re playing with a 6-280 AI right now and when shooting it last week in a 30" barrel it really liked R33 and US869 :) would you believe R26 and H1000 were 'way too fast' ? Anyway, with 68 grains of US869 or 64 grains of R33 it launched a 110 MK at 3500 fps. Shot a grain more but started to approach 3560-3575 fps and worried about brass... bolt still opened easily but primers getting flat and hint of ejector mark.

With a 300 yd sighting out 650 steel Target took 4-4.5 MOA. It screams!

Now barrel life will most likely be under 1000 rounds even with conservative firing. Rockchucks and yotes beware!

BTW our neck is much longer than the cartridge shown; ours is 0.350

That sounds like a ripper Frank.

I’d like a 6-06 or similar myself. Just cause.

Back